shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for ideas - Christmas Proposal

platinum350

Rough_Rock
Don't have the ring yet but it's in the works, hoping to have it before Christmas. I was thinking about proposing on Christmas and wanted to get some suggestions. I found a bunch online such as the ring in an ornament, going to dinner, horse carriage etc. Not sure which of these would be ideal. I know that on Christmas my family will all be together for dinner and was thinking about doing it then or taking her out to dinner before or after Christmas and doing it there. I've been spending so much time on the ring and not on ideas for proposing.

Also, we'll be leaving the country in January but I was afraid to do it then due to the whole TSA and customs interference.

Anyway, any unique suggestions would be cool!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Do you share any Christmas traditions that you could incorporate it into just before the holiday? Then you could have your moment together and then still be able to share with friends/family over the rest of the holidays?

Looking at lights?
Creating a gingerbread house?
Baking cookies?
Favorite movie with cocoa?

I'm all about simple, personally. Give us a little more about you and maybe we can help!

platinum350

Rough_Rock
Hey Audball. I'm with you there, I'm a fan simplicity as well! We do go look at lights together, that's a pretty good idea. Wonder if I should do something like that, look at lights then pop the question? I'm not too creative with this stuff lol. Thanks for the suggestion.

audball

Ideal_Rock
platinum350|1354830879|3324776 said:
Hey Audball. I'm with you there, I'm a fan simplicity as well! We do go look at lights together, that's a pretty good idea. Wonder if I should do something like that, look at lights then pop the question? I'm not too creative with this stuff lol. Thanks for the suggestion.
If it were me, I'd love that! Especially if you get cocoa, walk around holding hands and enjoying the lights! Find somewhere quiet and let the magic happen!

Another thing I thought was a cute idea is if you would enjoy doing a gingerbread house together. You could put "The YourLastNames" on the door or something and then ask on a quiet evening at home. :love:

platinum350

Rough_Rock
That does sound nice, I'm glad I asked on here...you put my mind to ease that I don't have to do something extravagant! This is all new to me lol. I like the gingerbread house idea too! That could be a lot of fun to do together and would lead me right into the big question!

Thanks again for the suggestions Audball!

audball

Ideal_Rock
platinum350|1354912334|3325691 said:
That does sound nice, I'm glad I asked on here...you put my mind to ease that I don't have to do something extravagant! This is all new to me lol. I like the gingerbread house idea too! That could be a lot of fun to do together and would lead me right into the big question!

Well, I didn't say it's okay. It's okay for ME. Do you think it's okay for her? I don't know her. Simple is right for a lot of girls. Only you know her best. If she's over the top, way extroverted, always partying, etc., she may want something more over the top/extravagant. If she's just a regular girl, she may be like a lot of people who want something from the heart and low key.

More Christmas ideas:

A ring pop in her stocking. While she's trying to figure it out, get down on one knee and propose with the real one!

A 12 days of Christmas countdown to the proposal. Lots of little gifts. Could be notes, etc.
Example:
12 days out, a sweet card with 12 things you love about her. Etc etc. They could be little things she likes/does. $5 starbucks gift card for 5 days out if she's a coffee drinker? Little things, about her, that correlate with the numbers.

They could also all be cards (I personally love cards!). Each one could have a theme. 12 things you love about her. 7 most memorable moments together. 5 favorite trips you did together. 3 things you look forward to in the future. Leading down to 1 card, 1 question! :)

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
audball|1354915776|3325747 said:
platinum350|1354912334|3325691 said:

Well, I didn't say it's okay. It's okay for ME. Do you think it's okay for her? I don't know her. Simple is right for a lot of girls. Only you know her best. If she's over the top, way extroverted, always partying, etc., she may want something more over the top/extravagant. If she's just a regular girl, she may be like a lot of people who want something from the heart and low key.

More Christmas ideas:

A ring pop in her stocking. While she's trying to figure it out, get down on one knee and propose with the real one!

A 12 days of Christmas countdown to the proposal. Lots of little gifts. Could be notes, etc.
Example:
12 days out, a sweet card with 12 things you love about her. Etc etc. They could be little things she likes/does. $5 starbucks gift card for 5 days out if she's a coffee drinker? Little things, about her, that correlate with the numbers.

They could also all be cards (I personally love cards!). Each one could have a theme. 12 things you love about her. 7 most memorable moments together. 5 favorite trips you did together. 3 things you look forward to in the future. Leading down to 1 card, 1 question! :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE the card idea!!! That is sooo sweet and romantic! Would make a great story!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Schafenm|1354934308|3325951 said:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the card idea!!! That is sooo sweet and romantic! Would make a great story!
Thanks! I'm totally a card person and would LOVE this.

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
Audball I love all your ideas! I'm into the simple/private proposal as well. Platinum, if you propose around your family I would suggest doing it not when your family is actually in the room. That way you can have a private moment, and then announce it to the family.

You could also do something like breakfast in bed - wake up before her and make breakfast, stick the ring in a muffin or something (not completely submerged, choking hazards are not romantic :nono:)

platinum350

Rough_Rock
Audball, you definitely have some very sweet and romantic ideas...exactly what I was looking for, thanks! And, I understood you were saying what you like and not that she necessarily would, but luckily I think she would! She's simple and prefers more simple and loving things than over the top.

I really like all the ideas! I'm kinda torn on where to do it, I planned on going into the big city with my family and our son x-mas eve and doing it there in front of the huge x-mas tree. Or, I was thinking about doing it x-mas eve night in front of the x-mas tree just the two of us. Or, possibly in the morning when myself, her and our son were opening presents...can't decide!

The card idea is great, just not sure I could pull it off lol. I already have a hard time with writing out cards, let alone 12! :loopy: Maybe 5 days or Christmas?

Also, thanks for the suggestions boysenberry.

audball

Ideal_Rock
platinum350|1355181891|3328020 said:
Audball, you definitely have some very sweet and romantic ideas...exactly what I was looking for, thanks! And, I understood you were saying what you like and not that she necessarily would, but luckily I think she would! She's simple and prefers more simple and loving things than over the top.

I really like all the ideas! I'm kinda torn on where to do it, I planned on going into the big city with my family and our son x-mas eve and doing it there in front of the huge x-mas tree. Or, I was thinking about doing it x-mas eve night in front of the x-mas tree just the two of us. Or, possibly in the morning when myself, her and our son were opening presents...can't decide!

The card idea is great, just not sure I could pull it off lol. I already have a hard time with writing out cards, let alone 12! :loopy: Maybe 5 days or Christmas?

Also, thanks for the suggestions boysenberry.
Glad you like them! I would say to keep it the two of you (or the two of you and your son) to keep it more personal. Doing it in the days before Christmas (even on Christmas Eve) will allow you to celebrate family VERY soon after. I personally wouldn't want it to happen in front of everybody. I want that to be a private moment.

If she's simple, she'd probably love any one of these ideas. You could do just one card that contains a "12 days of Christmas" theme that you give her as an "early present" on Christmas Eve in front of the tree all lit up. Maybe just after your son goes to bed to be alone? Or just before so that its' a family event (just the three of you?). You could just do 12 items in 1 card.
Ideas:
12. Something about when you first met
11. Something about your first trip together
10. Something about your favorite restaurant
9. Something you love about her in general
8. Favorite memory
7. Something you're most looking forward to together in the future
6. Something about your first "I love you"
5. A memory from your first date?
4. Something about her family and how you love being a part of it (if applicable...)
3. Something about your family and how you love her being a part of it (again, if applicable...)
2. Something sweet about your son and how you're a family
1. Something sweet about wanting to spend the rest of your life with her

Lots more ideas here:
http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-...-your-significant-other/964213c2f9a0c818.html

Hope this helps!

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
I think my favorite was putting up the tree without her there and surprising her with the tree all lit inside the house when she comes home. Maybe ornaments with "Will you marry me?" on it and the ring on the last question mark ornament.

I also wanted to second the suggestion to not propose with your family in the room with you. It's nice if they're there to celebrate afterwards, but maybe just you and your son for the actual proposal.

platinum350

Rough_Rock
Thanks for simplifying that for me Audball, it's a great idea!

I'm definitely going to do this privately, possibly with my son but that's it. Thanks again everyone for the help!

audball

Ideal_Rock
platinum350|1355252324|3328661 said:
Thanks for simplifying that for me Audball, it's a great idea!

I'm definitely going to do this privately, possibly with my son but that's it. Thanks again everyone for the help!
Glad to help! Please come back and let us know what you decided to do and how it went after the fact! We love reading stories! :love:

platinum350

Rough_Rock
I sure will post back at how it all went! Thanks again!

audball

Ideal_Rock
platinum350|1355422133|3330366 said:
I sure will post back at how it all went! Thanks again!
Woot! Can't wait to read all about it! Good luck! :appl:

platinum350

Rough_Rock
Hey, just want to let you know how it went...very well! I ended up doing something totally different than what we all talked about. I booked reservations for a very romantic dinner in a private wine cellar in an upscale Italian restaurant in Philadelphia. This particular restaurant has only one setting for two in their private wine cellar so it's hard to get reservations but I was lucky and got some for last Saturday. It was nicely done, it was a candle lit dinner with rose pedals all over the table. So after our first drink I decided to pop the question and she was very happy and somewhat surprised, she had a feeling in the somewhat near future I was going to propose.

After dinner we walked to a cool local bar for some drinks and to celebrate where we happened to run into some old friends. It turned out great.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, even though I went with what I was most comfortable with.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! It sounds like it went beautifully!

platinum350

Rough_Rock
Thanks Audball! Hope you had a wonderful holiday and best wishes for a new year. Take care.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results