shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for hydrangea centerpieces & bouquets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had hydrangeas on my mind and it turns out all my BMs love hydrangeas too. So I was thinking about making my own hydrangea centerpieces. I was planning to have rose nosegays (in pink) for myself and my BMs--how dumb would it be to have pink hydrangea centerpieces at the reception if our bouquets are made of roses? I could easily do hydrangea bouquets and it''s nice to know that the BMs like that flower too.

But...I can''t find any pictures of good centerpieces or bouquets that are primarily hydrangea. Anybody seen any they like? I''ve found a lot that have hydrangea as filler in big multi-flower bouquets, but none that have them as the primary flower.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
njc did all blue hydrangeas for her wedding. Here's a couple of her gorgeous pics: (hope you don't mind njc!!)

exit_crop.JPG

njc_bparty.jpg

njccake2.JPG

saturn

Shiny_Rock
And I don''t think it would be dumb at all to have pink hydrangeas as your centerpieces!
There''s nothing wrong with using multiple flower types for your wedding, especially if they are all pink. I really like the look of hydrangeas all by themselves, so I think your idea sounds very nice.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
From a friend''s wedding....

the bridesmaid bouquets:

bmbouq1.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bride''s bouquet

bridebouq1.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
At my friend''s wedding the centerpieces were kind of a mix - I don''t think there were hydrangeas in the centerpieces but I think they would have looked nice. They kinda have to be all or nothing since they come in such large bunches...IMO.
1.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pew decoration idea

blue hydrangea pews.jpg

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
And a centerpiece idea.

Scintillating...

Centerpiece hydrangea_monkees_meow.jpg

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! I come back from lunch to a hugely inspiring thread!!!!! Thanks so much for all of these, I can''t WAIT to go to the flower market on saturday!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting my pics JC!!! My BMs bouquets were three huge blooms tied together and mine had champagne roses mixed in, exactly like what Firegodess posted from her friends wedding and like what our cake toppers look like.

At our reception, we actually had all different colors of hydrangeas on the table... pink, white, blue, purple. That one pic is just the best i have that shows everything close up and it happens to be blue. I have great pictures that were stolen by the caterer... i took pics after we had set everything up, and she took the camera!
29.gif
I''ll try to do some more looking...

The centerpieces we did ourselves. I had originally been thinking gerber daisys, but it turned out the hydrangeas were the cheapest flowers at the time! We ordered them from a grocery store florist and the little glass vases too. With 3 people and about 15-20 min, we had 32 tables decorated! All we had to do was fill the vases with water, cut the stems to size and set them on the table... the blooms are so big they didnt need anything else!

Off to find pictures...

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I think the hydrangeas would look great, even if your bouquets are roses and a different color. Roses and hydrangeas go well together!

And here is a collage of really crappy pictures trying to show the variety we had. Like i said before i KNOW good pictures were taken I just dont have them. We had long tables and each table had a different color organza overlay in the middle (thats what the blue, greens, pinks and oranges are in the pictures) and different colored hydrangeas.

njc_reception8605.jpg

njc

Brilliant_Rock
And here is the picture (from Modern Bride) that inspired my bouquets! The brides is blue hyrdrangeas with pink roses...
30.gif

weekend_mbm0204_14.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I love hydrangeas! But I'm 99.99% positive that it is the hydrangea that dies VERY VERY quickly if the stem is not kept in water...So that is something you might not want to do yourself hours before your wedding...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selflove, have you considered silk hydrangeas for your centerpieces? Just a thought...I read
Date: 2/2/2006 12:25:06 PM
Author: moremoremore
I love hydrangeas! But I''m 99.99% positive that it is the hydrangea that dies VERY VERY quickly if the stem is not kept in water...So that is something you might not want to do yourself hours before your wedding...
this response and remembered I have seen beautiful silk hydrangeas at Pier One, or I''m sure you could get them at Michael''s or Hobby Lobby...it would save you the worry over whether they''ll wilt (how''s that for alliteration!)
3.gif
I love the look of fresh flowers more than I do silk, but one advantage to using silk is you can re-use them yourself or give them away after the reception.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2006 12:38:26 PM
Author: monarch64
Selflove, have you considered silk hydrangeas for your centerpieces? Just a thought...I read

Date: 2/2/2006 12:25:06 PM
Author: moremoremore
I love hydrangeas! But I''m 99.99% positive that it is the hydrangea that dies VERY VERY quickly if the stem is not kept in water...So that is something you might not want to do yourself hours before your wedding...
this response and remembered I have seen beautiful silk hydrangeas at Pier One, or I''m sure you could get them at Michael''s or Hobby Lobby...it would save you the worry over whether they''ll wilt (how''s that for alliteration!)
3.gif
I love the look of fresh flowers more than I do silk, but one advantage to using silk is you can re-use them yourself or give them away after the reception.
I HAVE TO DISAGREE... our flowers did great. I was concerned (August in VA is known for temps in the 90s with humidity that makes it feel like 100+), and when i asked our florist she said they would be perfectly fine.

We took pics before the ceremony, so they were out of water for that (hour and a halfish) and then back in water waiting for the ceremony. After that though, they went to the reception and sat on the head table, never seeing water again until my parents took them home around midnight... a good 8 hours. I even took them home with us and they lasted several days in water.

Our cake was decorated about 12pm that day and the reception wasnt until 5pm... the very tops with the roses were in oasis, but the blooms on the different layers were not. The picture JC posted was probably taken around 7 or 8pm. Looks good to me.

Also, ive attached a pic of a GM boutinear (sp??) taken at the reception. They were never in water again once they were made up.

The only thing that may make a difference is everything we did was indoors and air conditioned.

jeh_flower.jpg

njc

Brilliant_Rock
And as for silk hydrangeas, they arent cheap, or at least the ones ive seen. They start about $5 and go up to $10-15 PER BLOOM. The cheap ones look cheap too IMHO. If im going to pay that much, i want the real thing...

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2006 11:18:09 AM
Author: njc

The centerpieces we did ourselves. I had originally been thinking gerber daisys, but it turned out the hydrangeas were the cheapest flowers at the time! We ordered them from a grocery store florist and the little glass vases too. With 3 people and about 15-20 min, we had 32 tables decorated! All we had to do was fill the vases with water, cut the stems to size and set them on the table... the blooms are so big they didnt need anything else!
Thanks NJC!! I was anticipating it being really easy to make nice, full bouquets and it sounds like you had an incredibly easy time with them. Woo hooooooooo!!!! I can''t WAIT to go to the flower market in two days. I''m at the wedding planning stage where I''m obsessed with flowers! I definitely want real flowers so I''ll ask the experts at the market what to expect. Plus, my house is about 12 minutes away from the reception site and we''re on the coast where it never gets hot in May.

Oh I simply can not wait to start playing with flowers and practicing bouquets and centerpieces!! I will post pictures for opinions here.
35.gif

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
I plan on using hydrangeas too! Yay!
36.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
relax with the bold njc. maybe it wasn't the hydrangea..nope, I went back and looked. it is...but that's fantastic if they do tend to last longer...If she's making them the night before...that's a really long time...but I guess they could just be kept in water until ready to use! I'd just be careful that any ribbon doesn't get wet and discolored....
these are among my favs! so I hope it all works out for you!
34.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Here's another option that I like - for some variation from the full look
emstar.gif
without the stem-things

singlestemhydrangea.jpg

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Lulu--I like that idea...I have pondered the idea of having 3 or 4 small vases with just one smallish stem in each one, to give it some interesting variations in height. I just didn''t find enough nice-looking smaller vases went I went on my flower expedition last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results