shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for help finding a pear for my e-ring!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hi friends! :wavey:

I’m looking for an icy pear (D - H) for an engagement ring for myself. Even though I have been on the boards for years, this is the first time I’m shopping for ‘the one’. I’ve spent most of my time over on colored stones, so this is all really new to me! I prefer elongated pears, but I’m reading that they don’t sparkle as much. I’d like to keep it under $4000 to leave some budget for the setting. Pear pricing is very confusing! Some pears seem like a total steal (like DBL has an M 1.58 for $3300, and Jewels by Grace has had some similar ‘steals’ that look very affordable), while some are very expensive. Size wise, I’d like to go as big as possible for my budget. I think that looks like a 1ct-1.5ct, maybe a little more if I find a crazy deal. Any thoughts or suggestions?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
A comment on pears- if you want icy, I don't know that I'd go to h. I think I'd try to stay higher if "icy" is important. Pears will show more color due to the nature of the cut.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats @Indylady :appl:so excited for you!

As for pears I agree with @elizat for icy in a pear I do think you need D or E or F. I also agree with @tyty333 in that it's best to see pears in person vs picking by numbers online.

Do you want a modern pear? Or are you open to a chunky monkey yummy antique pear?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Wow, thank you so, so much!! Again, thank you!!!!!! I spent hours and hours looking at pears over the last two days, and the ones you’ve pulled are sublime! That spready 1ct F SI1 might just be the one! :appl::appl:It has strong flouro so I’m going to read a little more about that in the AM (I’ve never done this before so I have no strong opinions yet on flouro! My only experience is with rubies, in which case I want it). I did send an email over to B2C and two vendors that I have worked with in the past and really love. I can’t quite make sense of B2C’s pricescope reviews (some great, some bad), but maybe some emails or a call will clear things up.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
A comment on pears- if you want icy, I don't know that I'd go to h. I think I'd try to stay higher if "icy" is important. Pears will show more color due to the nature of the cut.

You’re right, I’d totally forgotten that! Excellent reminder. The funny thing is, I was never color sensitive and loved ‘warm’ till this e-ring search. I’ll stick with D - G.

Reactions: AV_

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Congrats @Indylady :appl:so excited for you!

As for pears I agree with @elizat for icy in a pear I do think you need D or E or F. I also agree with @tyty333 in that it's best to see pears in person vs picking by numbers online.

Do you want a modern pear? Or are you open to a chunky monkey yummy antique pear?

Thank you, thank you Missy!! I am over the moon! I love both, truly. For modern pears, I like an elongated pear, but if it’s an antique chunky cut I love those too even though they can be more egg shaped! I’ve scoured Love Affairs and JBEG, and I’ve seen some good ‘sold’ pears :cry2: but nothing currently available. Depending on how it goes with that 1.01 F, this might even be the worlds shortest search!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would ask David before all else.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

AV_

Ideal_Rock

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12731735

Many not deep pears seem quite bright and a few do not get dull toward the narrow end either. The above is the largest & not narow, but I would pick it for the interesting cut too. There are many more below one carat.

Last edited:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
AV, those are beautifully shaped pears! Very stunning, I especially like the first one - it is now on my shortlist along with the B2C that TY suggested.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@JPie Wonderful rose cut! (nb. depth)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
AV - you are so perceptive! I, too, found myself narrowing the list down to the spread-ier stones, and esp. focusing on a length of ~ 9mm. And you are right, the prices are inconsistent, and even upping my budget around $1k or dropping color significantly more doesn't seem to yield much larger diamonds (unless I drop much below H/I). You have great taste; someone has already reserved the #4 out of your list.

To all: I'm having a moment of madness. This morning, I resolved to purchase the pear and felt confident (actually, I still feel confident about purchasing an icy white pear). This afternoon, I am having a moment of weakness for a FCD. For the first one below, I'm concerned the pink won't even show and that the entire exercise of getting a FCD will be for naught.

The heart is stunning, but so tiny. Which is better for an engagement ring - tiny FCD or a 1ct bright white?

https://www.leibish.com/pink-diamonds/light-pink-pear-38834
https://www.leibish.com/pink-diamonds/fancy-purplish-pink-6pr-heart-41073

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JPie, sorry I missed your post! I’ve been posting on my phone, so my vision can get a little myopic (cause I can’t see more than a post or two at a time).
No worries! =)2

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Well, I would not go for a very small fcd over the traditional pear but that's me. However, I have a size problem and think that my recent purchase of a 2.54 omc could have been bigger. I think such a small stone will get lost in a setting.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Well, I would not go for a very small fcd over the traditional pear but that's me. However, I have a size problem and think that my recent purchase of a 2.54 omc could have been bigger. I think such a small stone will get lost in a setting.

I want your problems, Elizat :love:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
No worries! =)2

I've asked Alex for some pears. This inventory has some serious steals, though most of my faves are sold already.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

I'm abandoning the idea. FCD might be better for a long term/slow burn project.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I personally do not like the Ivy and Rose long one. Odd faceting and I don't like the video. I think some of the ones Av posted look more promising.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I personally do not like the Ivy and Rose long one. Odd faceting and I don't like the video. I think some of the ones Av posted look more promising.

Very agreed. Thank you, I needed to hear it! Of the last set of the ones AV posted, do you have a preference?

This one is few hundred $ cheaper and I’m not sure why:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12817376

Last edited:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the E IF bluenile one and the LD12627991

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results