shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for extra

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DeMarco

Rough_Rock
I am planning on asking in about three weeks; I have been racking my brain to think of the perfect set up and after much internal debate, I have decided to take my lady to the tulip garden where we went on our first date...right now the plan is to pick her up from the train station (we live in a different city and I have concocted story to unknowingly bring her to the city with the garden), though one problem is that with her not arriving until 8:30 at night, depending on when we get dinner we may not be in the garden until late and also, I am thinking of executing in the next 3-4 weeks, so the whether may not be the most condusive to sitting under the stars and me proposing.

Assuming we stick with the tulip garden idea (though there will likely be no tulips in bloom in mid-March) I was hoping to get some help with anyone''s creative ideas on the small touches:

- What should I put the ring in..a tulip?
- Should I have music playing?...I know she loves the song "Grow Old with Me by JLennon"
- Should I have wine, champagne or hot chocolate?

In terms of logistics,
- Should we go to dinner before of after the proposal..if we go after, we may not get to the garden until midnight or later, and I''m afraid she will not want to go to the garden...though, it is strange to go out for dinner after proposing?
- If I have music playing, should I have it playing as we approach the spot where I have things set up or should I turn the music on when I am about to propose?
- I could arrange things so that once we arrive at the garden things are in full swing (candles, music, flowers, blanket) but I am afraid she''ll know exactly what I am planning...but it is too hard to be romantic and maintain the element of complete surprise?

Lastly, help me think of things I''m not asking...put yourself in my shoes, are there other opportunities to add small touches to make the proposal unique and romantic? Are there other logistical issues I should be thinking about?

Any and all advise is appreciated!

Shay

Shiny_Rock
Wow you''ve really put a lot of thought into this.

Firstly Id like to say, so what if she figures out whats going on from all the romance? That will build the anticipation up for her even more! And it''s better to have it all set out than to have to stop and fuss around with a radio and champagne and all that.
Just make sure that those who did the set up for you make themselves scarce... privacy would be nice.

Lovely idea to do it where you had your first date but consider the following: Is it a busy venue? Will you have screaming kids and other smooching couples spoiling the moment? Will it be uncomfortably cold?

Going out to dinner afterwards is a nice idea, anything is good really as long as you have lots of time to spend together and enjoy the moment for as long as possible. Another lovely idea from another proposing gentleman on this board was to arrange a dinner with her closest friends and family afterwards in secret... sort of a surprise, informal engagment party where you can tell everyone and enjoy your moment with the most important people in your life. And of course give her an opportunity to show off your ring
9.gif

Oh and the ring in a tulip in the tulip garden is an incredibly sweet idea.

You are a sweet man to make such an effort for her. Congratulations and remember to keep us posted with the story of how it went and pictures!
36.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Your ideas are all very sweet. I love the ring in the tulip idea. Shay is completely right about the surprise element. Going out to dinner after the proposal is the way to go - it''s a wonderful way to celebrate this new stage in your lives together. Shay''s suggestion to invite those closest to the two you for dinner is also a great idea.

DeMarco

Rough_Rock
Thanks Shay and Gale; I think you''ve convinced me of the following:

- proposal in the garden...i don''t think it will be crowded, but it might be chilly...maybe I can bring an extra couple of blankets?
- Set up in advance (yes, the helpers will be scarce!)
- Dinner afterwards
- ring in tulip

Open Questions:
- What to drink (wine, champagne, hot chocolate)
- do i get on a knee or just ask...I don''t know if knees are lame

you both have been a great help and I appreciate the advise!

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
if it''s cold i''d say hot chocolate. you can have a bottle of champagne at dinner.

i would definitely get on your knee! her girlfriends will ask that when she retells the proposal story.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
While getting down on one knee seems corny, believe me, she will L. O. V. E. I. T. It may be something every woman dreams of (I do, my friends do and did!!!).

Since it''s chilly outside, hot chocolate sounds good, but if you''re in the mood for something a little more festive, you can try adding some Grand Marnier to it (you don''t need a lot to infuse that marvelous orange taste into the hc.).

Definitely champagene or a beautiful sparkling California wine for dinner to take you over the top. You WILL be celebrating, afterall.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
if you want to set up, but don''t want to blow the suprise, bring a blindfold. Even if she has an idea of what you''re doing, she won;t be sutre, and the anticipation of HEARING YOU rustling around gettingready will totalyl get her PSYCHED!

If there are no tulips in season at the garden, buy a bunch - maybe get a bouquet of all one color, but have one be another color to be outstanding - and when she takes a closer look you can have it in there, waiting!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I love the tulip garden idea. If you go to dinner afterwards, that can be your quality time together to talk about things before both of you start calling everyone to share the great news.

Definitely get on one knee...its the classic, official proposal pose!

another thought for drinks in the garden is hot cider.

DeMarco

Rough_Rock
Hot Chocolate w/ Grand Marnier,
Hot Cider,
One major color of tulip with a standout,
Blindfold...

What fantastic ''extras'' - exactly what I needed!

I think I will definitely get on a knee, if anyone has any other suggestions please post!!

Thank you all!

Does anyone have an opinion on music? I was thinking of having her favorite song J. Lennon’s “Grow old with me” playing as we approach the place I was going to pop the Q.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results