carat
color
clarity

Looking for eggplant recipes

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys,

So my neighbor gave me an eggplant yesterday which is so generous but I have not a clue what to do with this rare specimen lol.

Every time I cook eggplant it never comes out right so looking for a recipe, ideally for a side dish I can make with this eggplant.

Thanks!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love an omelette with eggplant, feta, and onion!!! Oil in pan, chop up some onions, throw them in, cube up some eggplant, throw them in. Beat a few eggs, pour that in, and toss in feta. Flip ungracefully when the bottom solidifies. lolol... Sandwich between buttered toast MMmmm...

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
This is time consuming but oh so worth it lol

http://startcooking.com/how-to-make-eggplant-parmesan

If you don't want to go to all the trouble what I do is just have them breaded and fried make sure you use Italian style bread crumbs.

I use about 2 eggs salted wash and dry eggplant slice in rondelles, dip in egg,(I don't dip in flour) dip in bread crumbs fry in hot oil about 2-3 minutes per side until golden don't let them get too dark and keep adjusting your temp. I place them in a bowl with an upside down dish to let the oil drain when done. Bonne appétit!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What type of eggplant? Large italian ones or the slimmer asian varieties? (PB his is for you).

If it's the larger ones then stab them to pierce and put in on the bbq whole. Bbq on lowish eat until the thing collapses on itself and insiides are mushy.

Take off grill, put in colander and let cool. Once you can handle it peel off all skin and stem so all you have is meat. You will see brownish water ... Rinse that off with minimal water. Now you have wonderful smokey eggplant meat all cooked up, set aside. Grab a knife and chunk it up.

Grab some tomatoes and a pan and soem salt. A lot of tomatoes, and preferrably Roma tomatoes. 5 romas to each large eggplant. Chop them up and salt them and in a frying pan reduce them to almost a paste with some olive oil. Add 3-4 cloves of garlic per eggplant to tomatoes a Tablespoon of turmeric per eggplant and stir and cook those into the tomato for about a minute add red pepper to taste and black pepper too. Add eggplant to mixture and cook on high heat, stirring to incorporate eggpplant for about 20 minutes. Add salt to season.

This makes a very flavorful dip/ paste dish. You just scoop it up with pita or lavash or french bread. It's vegan. http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2009/02/mirza-ghasemi-northern-irans-eggplants.html Different version of same dish here.

You can also use th bbqed smoked eggplant for babaganoush.

Slimmer asian ones just peel and chop in half lengthwise. Salt for ten minutes, then pat to remove the released water. In a skilet with a half inch of oil heated to medium fry them, first one side then the other, till they are brown on each side. Remove from pan and onto a plate with paper towels on it. Let cool.

Make basic Tsadziki sauce: cucumber, yogurt, garlic mint. Salt pepper.

Put eggplant pieces on favorite bread, top with Tsadziki and eat.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
What type of eggplant? Large italian ones or the slimmer asian varieties? (PB his is for you).

If it's the larger ones then stab them to pierce and put in on the bbq whole. Bbq on lowish eat until the thing collapses on itself and insiides are mushy.

Take off grill, put in colander and let cool. Once you can handle it peel off all skin and stem so all you have is meat. You will see brownish water ... Rinse that off with minimal water. Now you have wonderful smokey eggplant meat all cooked up, set aside. Grab a knife and chunk it up.

Grab some tomatoes and a pan and soem salt. A lot of tomatoes, and preferrably Roma tomatoes. 5 romas to each large eggplant. Chop them up and salt them and in a frying pan reduce them to almost a paste with some olive oil. Add 3-4 cloves of garlic per eggplant to tomatoes a Tablespoon of turmeric per eggplant and stir and cook those into the tomato for about a minute add red pepper to taste and black pepper too. Add eggplant to mixture and cook on high heat, stirring to incorporate eggpplant for about 20 minutes. Add salt to season.

This makes a very flavorful dip/ paste dish. You just scoop it up with pita or lavash or french bread. It's vegan. <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2009/02/mirza-ghasemi-northern-irans-eggplants.html</span> Different version of same dish here.

You can also use th bbqed smoked eggplant for babaganoush.

Slimmer asian ones just peel and chop in half lengthwise. Salt for ten minutes, then pat to remove the released water. In a skilet with a half inch of oil heated to medium fry them, first one side then the other, till they are brown on each side. Remove from pan and onto a plate with paper towels on it. Let cool.

Make basic Tsadziki sauce: cucumber, yogurt, garlic mint. Salt pepper.

Put eggplant pieces on favorite bread, top with Tsadziki and eat.
Thanks for the special shout out, Gypsy, because it caused me to re-read the first line and then pause and go :shock: :???: :think: :silenced: :lol: :lol: :lol: and stand up and walk in a circle wearing the rug bare in a little spot, with a stupid grin on my face. DH (who is Italian) :naughty: asks me what's up and I refuse to answer. I manage to break out of my goofy stupor and proceed to the second line of your post but couldn't get past, "If it's the larger ones then stab them to pierce..." I know you're an excellent cook, so I'm going to sleep and when I wake up a day older and a day more mature, I will put on my mature reading glasses and check out your recipe. :lickout:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ROFLMAO.

Too funny. Typo.

Sorry.

Yes, put the funny bone aside.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love Gypsy's suggestions!

I also use eggplant for ratatouille (world on a plate has the recipe from the movie!) served with fresh pasta.

Going to try something different next week and do a veggie lasagna with layers of fresh zucchini and eggplant.

Oh! And stuffed veggies. I do lamb & rice (different spices depending on recipe) stuffed in eggplants, zucchini, bell peppers, and tomatoes. (How many depends on size of each!)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I grill them (as per Gypsy's prep) then put them on top of polenta. With a little EVOO.

cheers--Sharon

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you all but thank you for all your replies. Now I have lots of possibilities for the next time I have a rogue eggplant in my house.

My neighbor has since brought me over tomatoes, green beans and peppers. My husband insisted they weren't jalapeños but I found out otherwise when my nine year old insisted on eating one! :o

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ratatouille! Ratatouille! Ratatouille!

Eggplant, zucchini,tomatoes, onion, green pepper, olive oil, basil...

There are any number of ways to prepare it. I make mine stovetop, in a large deep skillet, a few meals' worth at a time. I top it with a little sprinkling of parmesan, and eat it either hot or cold. Absolutely divine!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut into 1cm thick slices, BBQ and brushed with a marinade made from olive oil, lemon juice, honey, chopped garlic, chopped chilli to taste, and chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Can be eaten hot or cold.

Baba ganoush which is a spicy paste/dip made with egg plant, there are many recipes about.

Stir-fried oriental style with garlic and ginger, dark and light soya sauce, sugar, toasted sesame oil and seeds add to the mix towards the end. Can be quite fattening, as egg plant absorbs quite a bit of oil.

Another BBQ idea - vegetable kebabs with chunks of courgette, egg plant, bell peppers, onions (I prefer yellow, orange or red ones to add a bit of colour) and mushrooms; brushed with the marinade I mentioned above during cooking.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not make this myself as it is too much hard work with salting the egg plant slices etc., however, I love moussaka, and there are many recipes about. It is similar to a lasagna that is made with minced lamb, feta cheese and slices of egg plant.

DK :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy --

Tried your ghasemi with dinner. Yum!!! Served with chicken marinated in onion and lemon juice then brushed with melted butter and saffron. (plus basmati and bread of course)

Whole family loves it and super easy to make.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1471931795|4068884 said:
Gypsy --

Tried your ghasemi with dinner. Yum!!! Served with chicken marinated in onion and lemon juice then brushed with melted butter and saffron. (plus basmati and bread of course)

Whole family loves it and super easy to make.

YAY! I am happy you liked it!

My mom makes the best version of this. OMG.

We usually crack a couple eggs on top, BTW. I like them the yolk runny, but most cook them hard.

Some flat bread, and I'm set.

I was at the store today and saw some eggplant and thought about making some. But I already had too many dinners planned for the next week or so. So I didn't buy them.

I love eggplant though. It's really good on the right pizza too. But it has to be the right pizza.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I forgot.

If you are planner you can do what my parents do. They BBQ huge batches of eggplant at a time. Get it all cleaned and chopped up. And then they freeze them in quart size bags (there are two of them, my grandmother did this in gallon sized bags).

Any time you want to make (whatever you want) you grab a bag out, and they defrost very quickly.

I lamentably am not a planner. I'm a moody eater. It's hard for me to plan meals for a week. Let alone longer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results