shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an Emerald

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After much thought about a green gem, I have decided that an emerald is the gem I’m looking for. =) I’m looking for a classic emerald cut but am not confident in where to look. I see Embassy Emeralds is on the recommended vendor list, but feel the need to “hear” a confirmation from the people here first before seriously considering any emeralds there.

Thanks!

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got my Colombian emerald (oiled) from Embassy Emeralds and the Color and glow exCeted my expeCtations from what I saw in the piCtures (like bright stoplight green). It is hard to get a good piC to what I see in real life, but here is. Also the Clarity is deCent to for an emerald. He was quiCkly responsive to when I had a shipping issue.

colomring1.jpg
colom2.jpg

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After much thought about a green gem, I have decided that an emerald is the gem I’m looking for. =) I’m looking for a classic emerald cut but am not confident in where to look. I see Embassy Emeralds is on the recommended vendor list, but feel the need to “hear” a confirmation from the people here first before seriously considering any emeralds there.

Thanks!

Looking forward to see what you buy!! Are you looking for a darker green or a lighter green?

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to see what you buy!! Are you looking for a darker green or a lighter green?

I’m looking for a good, solid medium emerald green. =)

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got my Colombian emerald (oiled) from Embassy Emeralds and the Color and glow exCeted my expeCtations from what I saw in the piCtures (like bright stoplight green). It is hard to get a good piC to what I see in real life, but here is. Also the Clarity is deCent to for an emerald. He was quiCkly responsive to when I had a shipping issue.

colomring1.jpg
colom2.jpg

Your ring is beautiful! What you have to say is good and helpful to hear. Thank you!

Sparkle_ruckle

Shiny_Rock
Premium

colomring1.jpg
colom2.jpg

That's a lovely, glowy emerald! Can I ask something though, when did you make your purchase and how do I reach Embassy Emeralds? I tried contacting a few months ago via their Facebook and website but received no replies. Are they still in business?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a lovely, glowy emerald! Can I ask something though, when did you make your purchase and how do I reach Embassy Emeralds? I tried contacting a few months ago via their Facebook and website but received no replies. Are they still in business?

Hi I just bought this one! I'll tell you if they send it to me lol!

U07-5.jpg

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi I think I Called and emailed. I bought mine almost two years ago so I don't know if they are

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg
Littlered, is this a good example of medium green?

It’s hard to say as that’s a very warm picture. It’s possible it might be a bit light.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a tough decision! I’m looking at two emeralds. One is about 1ct and in the $600 range. The other is 1.5ct and in the mid $2K range. That’s a huge difference!

While I’m sure I’d love the pricier one much better in person, I’m still torn on which way to go. How to ever choose!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a tough decision! I’m looking at two emeralds. One is about 1ct and in the $600 range. The other is 1.5ct and in the mid $2K range. That’s a huge difference!

While I’m sure I’d love the pricier one much better in person, I’m still torn on which way to go. How to ever choose!
Do they have lab reports? If so, what do they say about treatment and color?

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply TL. The listing on both the gems I’m looking at says, “This emerald has been certified as a genuine, natural, Colombian emerald by Rodrigo Giraldo, a GIA trained gemologist, well known in the emerald trade.”

That’s all I know about them. Does this sound acceptable? I enjoy reading all your posts. :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply TL. The listing on both the gems I’m looking at says, “This emerald has been certified as a genuine, natural, Colombian emerald by Rodrigo Giraldo, a GIA trained gemologist, well known in the emerald trade.”

That’s all I know about them. Does this sound acceptable? I enjoy reading all your posts. :))
No, I would want a highly reputable lab, preferably AGL, to provide a report indicating the amount and type of treatment.

Thanks for the kind words by the way.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, I would want a highly reputable lab, preferably AGL, to provide a report indicating the amount and type of treatment.

Thanks for the kind words by the way.

Is this because they are emeralds?

I haven’t gotten the feeling that whenever anyone here buys a new gem, she then sends it off to AGL for testing. I feel like people buy and enjoy without testing.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rodrigo Giraldo was tapped by the Columbian government about 10 years ago when it was launching the CDTEC lab, a joint, nonprofit enterprise; he'd been the director of the Center for Gemological Studies of Emerald (that's a translation from the Spanish) in the years preceding his CDTEC appointment
http://www.embassyemeralds.com/blog/2008/09/19/colombian-gem-lab/
https://shop.vicore.com/en/education/11_Emeralds.html
& was one of the developers of PermaSafe, introduced in 1998 or thereabouts:
https://www.jckonline.com/magazine-article/gemnotes-43623/

Looks as if Mr. Giraldo left his position at CDTEC not quite 3 years ago & is now offering gemological reports and classes in office space at the Emerald Building in Bogota.
https://co.linkedin.com/in/rodrigo-giraldo-20a54851
http://rggemlab.co/en/

I bet that Mr. Giraldo knows what he's doing; if his report gives the same, very basic info on treatment that an AGL Gem Brief does, I wouldn't bother sending the $600 stone to AGL for a Gem Brief -- and for a $600 stone, I myself wouldn't pay 25% of the selling price for the ID & Enhancement Prestige Report.
http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/
Think I'd feel differently about the stone priced at ~ $2500 & would send it off to AGL... unless the Giraldo report accompanying the stone is more detailed than the couple of reports of his I'm seeing via Google. (An AGL report would make the stone more marketable here in the States -- relatively speaking to a Giraldo report, since he's not as well known -- were you to sell it in the future.)

Last edited:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rodrigo Giraldo was tapped by the Columbian government about 10 years ago when it was launching the CDTEC lab, a joint, nonprofit enterprise; he'd been the director of the Center for Gemological Studies of Emerald (that's a translation from the Spanish) in the years preceding his CDTEC appointment

Looks as if Mr. Giraldo left his position at CDTEC not quite 3 years ago & is now offering gemological reports and classes in office space at the Emerald Building in Bogota.

I bet that Mr. Giraldo knows what he's doing; if his report gives the same, very basic info on treatment that an AGL Gem Brief does, I wouldn't bother sending the $600 stone to AGL for a Gem Brief -- and for a $600 stone, I myself wouldn't pay 25% of the selling price for the ID & Enhancement Prestige Report. I'd feel differently about the stone priced at ~ $2500 & would send it off to AGL... unless the Giraldo report accompanying the stone is more detailed than the couple of reports of his I'm seeing via Google. (An AGL report would make the stone more marketable here in the States, were you to sell it in the future.)

Wow! That’s a good bit of useful information! Thank you!

I read on the EE site there’s a 10 day return policy. How does one get an AGL report in time? I’ve seen other vendors with a 7 day return period.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read on the EE site there’s a 10 day return policy. How does one get an AGL report in time? I’ve seen other vendors with a 7 day return period.
Hmmm... now that you've said both stones are from Embassy Emeralds, let's see if others think the pricier stone should be sent off to AGL (I'm now thinking I might skip it, given the vendor). If you decide you'd like an AGL Prestige Report, first ask EE if they will handle that for you pre-purchase; if they decline, you'll need an extended return period unless you're willing to spring for overnight deliveries plus AGL's 72-hour service, which is twice whatever the usual fee would be.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the occasions when I was wanting to send a stone to AGL or GIA, I asked the vendor for an extended return period.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I bet that Mr. Giraldo knows what he's doing; if his report gives the same, very basic info on treatment that an AGL Gem Brief does, I wouldn't bother sending the $600 stone to AGL for a Gem Brief -- and for a $600 stone, I myself wouldn't pay 25% of the selling price for the ID & Enhancement Prestige Report.
http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/
Think I'd feel differently about the stone priced at ~ $2500 & would send it off to AGL... unless the Giraldo report accompanying the stone is more detailed than the couple of reports of his I'm seeing via Google. (An AGL report would make the stone more marketable here in the States -- relatively speaking to a Giraldo report, since he's not as well known -- were you to sell it in the future.)

I don't know this gentleman, Mr. Giraldo, but I agree that the 2k stone should probably go to AGL.

I do not think all gems need to go to AGL of course, but I do think any ruby, sapphire, emerald, or alexandrite that is thousands of dollars should get a lab report from AGL or another highly reputable lab. I've even sent a $200 sapphire to AGL because certain treatments bother me, so even if the stone isn't extremely expensive, it's all about one's comfort level.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For emeralds, I would want to know the level and type of treatment as this can impact how an emerald looks over time...especially if the stone were expensive OR I was planning to invest a significant amount in the setting.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My two cents... sometimes we get caught up in the hype of a certificate. For a $1.2K emerald, I would not send it to AGL. People buy rings in jewelry stores all the time for this price and higher and there is no AGL report. The vendor looks reputable, and keep in mind not all Colombian emeralds look good, so I would focus more on the color and clarity. This seems to be a good dealer, they already have their own report, and I am sure others have purchased larger stones from them without any issues. They want to stay in business and stay reputable.

The Prestige Origin report will cost you $220, and say $30.00 to ship and return, for a total of $250.00. So my input is to take that $250.00 you were going to spend with AGL and spend it on a nicer stone.

Jewelry is not an investment, it is an emotional purchase meant to be enjoyed. Every stone is unique. I would pick the stone you love and enjoy it. If you were spending $10K, that would be different though.

Good luck to you! I hope to get your emerald and enjoy it!

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two cents... sometimes we get caught up in the hype of a certificate. For a $1.2K emerald, I would not send it to AGL. People buy rings in jewelry stores all the time for this price and higher and there is no AGL report. The vendor looks reputable, and keep in mind not all Colombian emeralds look good, so I would focus more on the color and clarity. This seems to be a good dealer, they already have their own report, and I am sure others have purchased larger stones from them without any issues. They want to stay in business and stay reputable.

The Prestige Origin report will cost you $220, and say $30.00 to ship and return, for a total of $250.00. So my input is to take that $250.00 you were going to spend with AGL and spend it on a nicer stone.

Jewelry is not an investment, it is an emotional purchase meant to be enjoyed. Every stone is unique. I would pick the stone you love and enjoy it. If you were spending $10K, that would be different though.

Good luck to you! I hope to get your emerald and enjoy it!

Emeralds are almost always treated, and some of those treatments are not stable, and can turn white over time, discoloring the emerald and/or making it look cloudy. I couldn't disagree with you more about not verifying an emerald for not only the amount of treatment, but the type as well. I also don't think it's ok just to blindly trust a vendor because they seem reputable to you. Verification is very important when it comes to emeralds. Often times vendors are duped as well. One must also be wary of synthetics (with inclusions), doublets, and irradiated material.

No, jewelry and gems should not be an investment, but you do want to know what you paid for, and you do want to know it will last in beauty.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Emeralds are almost always treated, and some of those treatments are not stable, and can turn white over time, discoloring the emerald and/or making it look cloudy. I couldn't disagree with you more about not verifying an emerald for not only the amount of treatment, but the type as well. I also don't think it's ok just to blindly trust a vendor because they seem reputable to you. Verification is very important when it comes to emeralds. Often times vendors are duped as well. One must also be wary of synthetics (with inclusions), doublets, and irradiated material.

No, jewelry and gems should not be an investment, but you do want to know what you paid for, and you do want to know it will last in beauty.

Hi! I understand perhaps you would want to know given your background. For the average person, it is unrealistic for everyone who buys a $1.2K stone to get an AGL report. Millions of people have purchased stones very happily without a report. Yes, for emeralds, do your homework, ask if it’s Colombian, Muzo or Chivor, oil or resin, light or moderate, etc... and if the dealer can’t answer or if the response is not sufficient, then don’t buy. I have walked away from dealers like those.

But for this dealer, looking at his website and seeing others have purchased from him before and his history, I see no reason to think he is scamming.

I know you would get a report as you have indicated you have done so for a $200 stone.

For me, I would not get an AGL report for a $1.2K stone and that is my input to the OP so he has this perspective and can make his own decision.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have been trawling the Internet since I'm toying with the idea of treating myself to another emerald ring. What I've come to realize in the past several days -- to my disappointment -- is that AGL's Prestige Reports aren't all that specific when it comes to emerald treatments. I've long thought that AGL Prestige Reports specifically identify treatments because 20 years ago AGL (when under Cap Beasley) reported that an emerald I was thinking of purchasing had been enhanced with Gematrat.

But take a look at current-recent AGL Prestige Reports for emeralds & you'll see that treatments are classified as "traditional" or "modern." "Traditional" -- a Prestige Report tells you -- "may include various oils (such as Cedarwood oil) and waxes (such as Paraffin) as well as others." AGL uses "modern" to indicate the use of "polymer-type resins, singly or in combination with other types of fillers."

And that's it. Even the most expensive, Full Grading Prestge Reports posted don't have a more mreaningful level of detail.

So now that I'm seeing AGL gives only a rough idea of the kind of treatment(s) used in an emerald, I am questioning the value in this regard of a Prestige Report for emeralds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL has more affordable options than the prestige. The reason my report was so expensive is that I had to pay $100 extra for a mass spectrometer analysis of a sapphire. This would not be the case with an emerald.

Here is the info on the more affordable gem brief. I would contact AGL to see what treatment analysis was provided with the gem brief for an emerald, although I don't think origin is a part of it.

http://aglgemlab.com/gembrief/

It is ultimately up to the OP however.

ETA: I just saw the post above and I see the polymer type is not disclosed. If it's stable, I would think AGL would provide that info. I would contact them by phone to make sure.

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True... as stated on that web page re Gem Briefs & on the AGL price list I linked in post #18, origin is not included in a Gem Brief or a first-level Prestige Report. All Prestige Reports give an opinion as to stability of the clarity-enhancing treatment -- but the cheaper Gem Briefs do that as well

So far as I've seen since I started scrutinizing Friday, AGL reports the stability as a range in both Prestige Reports & Gem Briefs. Have yet to see anything other than "Very Good to Good" in emerald Prestige Reports or Gem Briefs. A Prestige Report will opine as to extent of treatment (as do GIA's reports on emeralds, priced cheaper than the basic Prestige Report), so that's a plus over its Gem Brief.

But I am disappointed that AGL isn't being as specific about emerald treatments as I used to think. Wonder if they will specifically call out Palma when that's detected?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to post I recommend Embassy Emeralds. If I was in the market to buy an emerald I would check them out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results