shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice - Wedding in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cynd33

Rough_Rock
Dear PSer''s

I am australian looking to get married in Italy but have no idea where to start. My SO and I were not planning to originially ''elope'' but the idea of just the two of us getting married in Italy is too good to resist. We are both typically private people and want to create a special memory rather than having your traditional wedding ceremony. We have plans to return and celebrate with our family and friends by hiring a function centre and catering and have more of a ''party'' which is definately more us.

I was hoping to get some advice from those who have had a destination wedding in italy. Here are my questions;

1. Did you plan it yourself or use a coordinator/wedding planner service?

if yes, can you recommend one?

2. Do you regret your decision to wed just the two of you?

3. What is the average cost of a wedding in italy?

Thanks to everyone in advance...

Wishing everyone luck with their wedding plans, i know mine are just starting to get stressful!!
14.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Hello fellow Aussie! I have not much to add but wanted to say hi, and that a wedding in Italy sounds wonderfully romantic!!!

Have you tried your local travel agent? They will be able to give you ideas/brochures on Italy, and some even have destination wedding brochures.

Keep us updated - it sounds divine!
30.gif

glueck

Shiny_Rock
I am having destination wedding in Germany. Under 50 guests.

I HIGHLY recommend hiring a planner. There are tons of choices of venue and activity. There is also a good deal of paperwork to make it legal for you to marry in a foreign country. Planners have been through it 1,000 times. THeir fee is worth it just for the paperwork!

As for the rest, I cant say. It sounds SO romantic! Cant wait to see how your wedding plans unfold!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I lived in Italy for 8 years and my advice would be to hire a planner unless you have very good contacts (who will move heaven and earth for you) in the country and speak fluent Italian yourself.

The bureaucracy is a complete nightmare out there....
14.gif

In Italy it's normal to have 2 weddings - the civil ceremony in the town hall (the legal part) and the church ceremony later (the religious part). Most Italians have the big party after the religious ceremony. Most foreigners will just do the town hall bit.

Cost will depend on where in Italy you want to get married and how elaborately you want to do it. It is likely to be considerably more than a civil wedding in Australia.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 6:54:09 AM
Author: Pandora II
I lived in Italy for 8 years and my advice would be to hire a planner unless you have very good contacts (who will move heaven and earth for you) in the country and speak fluent Italian yourself.

The bureaucracy is a complete nightmare out there....
14.gif

In Italy it's normal to have 2 weddings - the civil ceremony in the town hall (the legal part) and the church ceremony later (the religious part). Most Italians have the big party after the religious ceremony. Most foreigners will just do the town hall bit.

Cost will depend on where in Italy you want to get married and how elaborately you want to do it. It is likely to be considerably more than a civil wedding in Australia.

Ditto, my experiences there were similar to Pandora's. The legalities of everything in Italy can be a pain, I wouldn't try to navigate it yourself unless you speak fluent Italian. And just another tip, once you are there DO NOT leave anything for the last minute. Italian offices/trains/restaurants, pretty much anything have been known to close for holiday/a strike/repairs/a long nap without any notice. So make sure everything is lined up well beforehand and have contingency plans!

Cynd33

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your advice! Sounds like the best plan moving forward would be to hire a planner. I have done some internet searching and there are planners based here in Sydney and also directly in Italy, I guess I will just have to speak to both to see which I am more comfortable in using.

I am really excited about the idea of getting married in Italy but haven''t broken the news to my mum yet... i am almost certain she will be disappointed because she would not be able to afford to be there but this is something that my FI and I have decided we really want.

Fingers crossed all goes well!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results