shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice on oval diamond I purchased...

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I recently bought this oval diamond before realizing it had a depth which is less than great (I think). The website I bought it from said it had an ideal/super ideal cut but I have since learned here is no such thing for fancy cuts.

I bought the stone because it appears to have minimal bowtie, although I am now not so sure on that either :/ Unfortunately I found this awesome forum after buying it. I can return it where I bought it without too much hassle but it won't be in my hands for a few weeks.

I am hoping to get some opinions from people far more knowledgeable than myself on:

1. If this looks to be a good stone or not and
2. If it appears to have a strong bowtie or not.

I notice now at some angles in the video the stone is dark, but I am not sure if that is the camera reflection maybe or if that is the reflection of the pavilion or what it is... I really appreciate any help! I just am worried I may have made a mistake buying this one.... Thanks so much in advanced for your help. :)

Here is the 360 video: https://loupe360.com/diamond/2215564085/video/500/500

Here is the GIA report: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2215564085

Measurements8.04 x 5.88 x 3.24 mm
Carat Weight1.01 carat
Color GradeE
Clarity GradeIF

PROPORTIONS​

Depth55.1%
Table60%
GirdleMedium to Thick, Faceted
CuletNone

Thank you all for any insights you can provide.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't really judge the depth of fancy cuts the way you would a round brilliant diamond. This depth is very, very shallow for an oval cut, and the video is such that I have a hard time telling how it will perform in person. From head-on it doesn't show a bow tie, but I honestly can't guess for SURE from the video how it will perform at the tilt angles that aren't shown. What you're seeing in the video that you may be thinking is a bowtie looks to me like a tilt window, which is a completely normal artifact of cutting and something you won't be able to avoid. Personally with this oval I would wait until you get it and see then. It looks to me from this video like it could be a contender.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does not have a bow-tie. They seem to cut most shallow ovals in 4 mains which this one is. I say wait and see it in person.

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
You can't really judge the depth of fancy cuts the way you would a round brilliant diamond. This depth is very, very shallow for an oval cut, and the video is such that I have a hard time telling how it will perform in person. From head-on it doesn't show a bow tie, but I honestly can't guess for SURE from the video how it will perform at the tilt angles that aren't shown. What you're seeing in the video that you may be thinking is a bowtie looks to me like a tilt window, which is a completely normal artifact of cutting and something you won't be able to avoid. Personally with this oval I would wait until you get it and see then. It looks to me from this video like it could be a contender.

Thank you very much for your insights on this. I really appreciate it and I am looking forward to seeing the diamond in person. :) I will update everyone once it comes in in case there is interest to see how it turns out.

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
It does not have a bow-tie. They seem to cut most shallow ovals in 4 mains which this one is. I say wait and see it in person.

Thank you so much for your input and knowledge. I really appreciate the help. :) I am excited to see the diamond in person and I will update everyone once it comes in.

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your input. I got the diamond and I am absolutely in love with it! I am very picky about things like this so I am thrilled with this outcome. It is very sparkly with lots of fire and brilliance (to my untrained eye at least) and has very minimal (if any) bowtie even in the sun. Some sparkles it puts off in the sun are blinding haha. It really meets just about every wish I had for a diamond. I cannot wait to get it set now. I am thinking a platinum solitaire ring with 4 prongs (diamond will be insured before taking it to the jeweler). I cannot decide between claw or rounded prongs yet though. :D I was able to see the GIA number in the loupe which was neat as well. I want to try to have it set so I can still see the GIA number afterwards. Is that usually possible to do?

If anyone has any advice on how to find a good local jeweler and what I should look out for, or if you recommend any in Utah that would be very much appreciated. I would rather not ship if it is not necessary.

Thank you all again for the help!

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your input. I got the diamond and I am absolutely in love with it! I am very picky about things like this so I am thrilled with this outcome. It is very sparkly with lots of fire and brilliance (to my untrained eye at least) and has very minimal (if any) bowtie even in the sun. Some sparkles it puts off in the sun are blinding haha. It really meets just about every wish I had for a diamond. I cannot wait to get it set now. I am thinking a platinum solitaire ring with 4 prongs (diamond will be insured before taking it to the jeweler). I cannot decide between claw or rounded prongs yet though. :D I was able to see the GIA number in the loupe which was neat as well. I want to try to have it set so I can still see the GIA number afterwards. Is that usually possible to do?

If anyone has any advice on how to find a good local jeweler and what I should look out for, or if you recommend any in Utah that would be very much appreciated. I would rather not ship if it is not necessary.

Thank you all again for the help!

Awesome news, would love to see some real life photo's! I have an oval myself and haven't seen a ton of posts about ovals on here recently.

As for the setting, if your going to be setting it in a simple solitaire, this should not impede your ability to check the inscription as it should be on the girdle and land in-between the prongs.

No advice for how to find a good local jeweller in Utah but if I were to do it again, I think I would have made sure to go to a jeweller who had the ability to show me a CAD design of the ring first. And if you change your mind about the setting and decide to add side stones/melee, I would have researched my setting and side stones/melee as much as my centre stone to make sure I'm okay with how different shapes sparkle, interact with light, contrast with the centre stone etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results