shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice: Engagement Ring with Lab-Grown Marquise Diamond

Smore

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
i´ve looked around this forum and on different purchasing websites, which have been recommended here while i´m trying to find an engagement ring for my better half.

Key facts: Marquise stone 0,75-1.x ct, Ring platin or white gold, max price around 2,5k €.

I tried to design a ring on jamesallen.com (https://www.jamesallen.com/complete-jewel/?j=11980&s=14748022) and i am asking kindly for your input on stone size and quality here. I am also not sure about the stone size in comparison to hand size regarding the marquise stone. Is there a ct minimum to not make it look too small or weird?

Thank you very much.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
When I click on the diamond in your link, I can view the size on the hand. Personally, it looks a little narrow to me. I would prefer a setting with side stones to compensate for the narrow center stone and provide a little more finger coverage. But that's just my own personal opinion. Each person has a unique preference.

What do you think about the size on the finger? Do you like the way it looks?

Smore

Rough_Rock
When I click on the diamond in your link, I can view the size on the hand. Personally, it looks a little narrow to me. I would prefer a setting with side stones to compensate for the narrow center stone and provide a little more finger coverage. But that's just my own personal opinion. Each person has a unique preference.

What do you think about the size on the finger? Do you like the way it looks?

Thanks for the quick reply.
I honestly prefer the 1ct version more (https://www.jamesallen.com/complete-jewel/?j=11980&s=15015631). It just looks a little bit more fitting for a medium sized hand.
The thing about the side stones is pretty interesting even tho my better half prefers a simple or lets say basic ring (the only infos i really got were "not gold", "marquise stone" and her ring size). I ll definitely think about the side stones tho.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. I like the size of the 1ct much better. Please note that I'm only talking about the size of the diamond here. I'm not a diamond expert.

I think you could certainly go with the solitaire setting for the 1ct, and you can always start with a solitaire and upgrade later if your future wife wants something different.

Here's a "simple" design that you might want to consider with side stones: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ld-blossoming-vine-engagement-ring-item-53298

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is her ring size? When she says "not gold" does that mean she doesn't want yellow gold but white gold will work or does she
want no gold metal and only platinum will work?

Smore

Rough_Rock
Welcome to PS, Smore!
Check out some of the other PS vetted vendors so that you can compare and contrast with this particular JA diamond:

Thank you very much for this information. Im pretty unexperienced with stones. I need to read more about the specific types. Any newb information you can give me for the start maybe? thanks a lot :)

Smore

Rough_Rock
What is her ring size? When she says "not gold" does that mean she doesn't want yellow gold but white gold will work or does she
want no gold metal and only platinum will work?

Her ring size is 53mm, so that would be 6.5 am i right?
I think white gold would work, too.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much for this information. Im pretty unexperienced with stones. I need to read more about the specific types. Any newb information you can give me for the start maybe? thanks a lot :)

The usual things to watch for when shopping for an LGD:
1. The growth method.
...CVD and HPHT

2. CVD can have a few issues, depending on the grower.
...post-growth treatment (or PGT) can leave a diamond looking a bit blurry/hazy, cloudy, and/or tinted brownish, brownish-pink, or grayish.
...can be riddled with carbon pinpoints or specks.

3. HPHT can also have a few issues.
...the presence of trace elements (most common is boron) leaving the diamond tinted a light blue/turquoise, grayish, even other colors like greenish.
...can be riddled with metallic bits in a slew of shapes, sizes, and colors.

Color and clarity can be crucial, and I usually recommend D or E for color and VS1 or better, but certainly don't rule out lower color and clarity grades...just be vigilant on color tinting, inclusions, and optics.

EClove

Shiny_Rock

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 1ct marquis right hand ring that I got from James Allen and I love it. I wear it on my middle finger which is about a 6.75 and the coverage of the stone is good, but made better by my setting which has three tiny stones on each side that makes the whole ring look quite sizeable. It's similar to this but with smaller stones: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...rel-leaves-diamond-engagement-ring-item-66430

I think the stone you chose is lovely but I would go over 1ct for better coverage.

Smore

Rough_Rock
I am not an expert in marquise cuts in the least but just enjoy searching for diamonds. This one looks lovely to me, high color, HPHT, and looks well cut. Would love for someone else to offer their opinion too!

Thanks for sharing this find. Do you have a recommendation for a 0.75ct marquise diamond? Right now im in the process of deciding which stone size i really want. I appreciate your help. :)

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing this find. Do you have a recommendation for a 0.75ct marquise diamond? Right now im in the process of deciding which stone size i really want. I appreciate your help. :)

Again definitely not an expert and this is a higher clarity grade than you need but this one looks to have a nice cut!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Again definitely not an expert and this is a higher clarity grade than you need but this one looks to have a nice cut!

Oops that didn’t work. Here you go https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamonds/0.75-ct-E-VVS1-Excellent-Cut-Marquise-Diamond/D50162439

Smore

Rough_Rock

Hi @EClove ,
sorry for not getting back last time. Unfortunately a few urgent things came up during the last weeks and I did not manage to buy the 0.75 you mentioned although I really liked it.

Could you be so kind and help again to find a new 0.75ct diamond? I'm ready to pull the trigger and would buy it asap.

I really like the dimensions of this one:

but really liked your expertise and input last time.
Thanks a lot for your help!!

Kind regards
Smore

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
FYI, You don't have to buy your diamond at JA to use one of their settings. The setting posted above with the marquise sides was really gorgeous. I have an earth mined marquise which has chunky faceting like an antique cut marquise. It is a G VS1 1.18c. I tried to find the marquise which was at least 6mm wide. And mine faces up like other 1.5c marquise. Did you decide on a setting yet? 4.5mm wide is a very tiny marquise. So this setting would be a huge plus. Also a halo to give more finger coverage.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...rel-leaves-diamond-engagement-ring-item-66430

I would not go any lower than a 1 carat marquise for an engagement ring.

Also, marquises hide inclusions extremely well. I'm drawn to these GIA certed marquises as their faceting has wide (fat) star mains which makes their appearance not so splintery.

This one is really nice. No bow tie, which you need to watch for in marquise cuts.

The good thing about Ritani is that you can finance for 12 months interest free if you qualify. I just purchased a 3.45c LGD (MRB) from them. I'm purchasing my setting for this stone from James Allen.
I will keep looking for you. But with your budget you should not go under 1c. for your stone IMO.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I think this is my favorite of all of the above:
Best stone for your $$ and budget. Ritani will give you 3% off in an email when you register on their site.

I don't know what your time frame is but you need to wait for JA to put their engagement rings at 25% OFF. Their last sale was over the Memorial weekend. They do this often so be sure and wait for that sale if you can. Ritani makes nice settings as well just not as many choices as JA. Too bad the prices on their diamonds are higher than almost all other sites but they will price match if they have the same stone you find at a better price.

Or this one with the 56% table. What you look for in a well cut marquise or oval is that the star facets are reaching to the end of the table and no gray mush under the table. The smaller the table, in many cases, the better the cut.

Last edited:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
This GIA looks pretty nice too. High E color VVS clarity: When the video puts them on their side like this its hard to see the faceting well.

Hope this info. helps you in your search. A lot of nice marquise on Ritani.
I would not pay $1,000 for a .78c marquise. That is going to be a really tiny marquise. Even 1c marquise are tiny IRL. LOL!

Smore

Rough_Rock
Hello @all, thanks to your help i was able to find the ring i really wanted with a beautiful stone. Sadly Ritani lost my parcel and wasnt able to track it down. They gave me my money back, but it was a real downer for me.
Im now again looking for a nice 0,8-1ct marquise stone since im still not good at chosing a nice stone :(
Could you guys be so kind and help me again? I really liked your expertise last time and it helped me to feel good buying and chosing a stone.
Thanks in advance.
Smore

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Hello @all, thanks to your help i was able to find the ring i really wanted with a beautiful stone. Sadly Ritani lost my parcel and wasnt able to track it down. They gave me my money back, but it was a real downer for me.
Im now again looking for a nice 0,8-1ct marquise stone since im still not good at chosing a nice stone :(
Could you guys be so kind and help me again? I really liked your expertise last time and it helped me to feel good buying and chosing a stone.
Thanks in advance.
Smore

Well that sucks, I'm so sorry! Are you in need of just a diamond or a company that can put the diamond in to a setting? Are you willing to try Ritani again or would you prefer a different vendor?

Smore

Rough_Rock
Well that sucks, I'm so sorry! Are you in need of just a diamond or a company that can put the diamond in to a setting? Are you willing to try Ritani again or would you prefer a different vendor?

Hey, thanks for your reply. Im looking for both and i would try ritani again, if i have to. Im also open for different vendors of course.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your reply, but 2000$ for 1ct lab grown sounds pretty expensive to me. Or am i totally wrong here?

His do come at a premium, but he has all of his “private reserve” in his possession and they’ve passed tests for optimal light performance, no negative effects of lab growth like visible stria or off color tones… So it’s more like it takes the guesswork out of the purchase.
ETA, another vendor I’d trust to choose a well-performing lab diamond is Diamonds by Lauren.

Last edited:

Smore

Rough_Rock
His do come at a premium, but he has all of his “private reserve” in his possession and they’ve passed tests for optimal light performance, no negative effects of lab growth like visible stria or off color tones… So it’s more like it takes the guesswork out of the purchase.
ETA, another vendor I’d trust to choose a well-performing lab diamond is Diamonds by Lauren.

That makes sense. Thank you. Will look into diamonds by lauren aswell for sure.
What is the problem with services provided for example from germany (its where i live and it would make it much easier for me) like diamantenlabor.de or others? Are they low quality?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That makes sense. Thank you. Will look into diamonds by lauren aswell for sure.
What is the problem with services provided for example from germany (its where i live and it would make it much easier for me) like diamantenlabor.de or others? Are they low quality?

Check out 77Diamonds.com - they have showrooms in Frankfurt and Munich (Munchen), as well as one in Zurich, whichever may be closest to you, if any.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results