shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking For Advice: Airline Flights With Puppies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
We have two Havanese puppies that we will be needing to fly with in October of next year and they''ve never flown before. We are so worried about flying with them - it panics me to think what they might think or feel under the seat as I don''t like the feeling of take off, I can''t imagine what would go through their little minds. It terrifies me!!!

Our flight will be a little under three hours and it will be a direct flight.

Do you fly with your puppy or puppies? I''m looking for tips/tricks/advice on making it the best and least stressful situation for them. Only the best for our babies, they are our EVERYTHINGS!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we''ve never flown with Portia because I am too paranoid about how she''d react in a small crate under the seat, but if we absolutely needed to, the vet will give you something that can either calm them down or knock them out. So they''d sleep potentially the whole flight, depending on how long it is. I have no experience with that though...hopefully someone else does, but I''d also ask your vet. Good luck!

E B

Ideal_Rock
We've flown with our pug -in icon- several times (she sits under the seat in front of me), and while she always squeals a bit before the plane takes off, she soon falls asleep. I think it's the noise/vibration. Every twenty minutes or so, I'd unzip the bag a bit and check on her. Sometimes I'd put a hand in and rub her back to reassure her.

I think there are natural 'calming' pills available for dogs, but be sure to check with your vet before using. Good luck- I'm sure they'll be fine!
1.gif

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I fly to and from Europe and NY with my 8 lbs dog all the time. He is my life and I threw a fit and made my FI's company book us on a certain airline because they are the only ones that allow dogs in the cabin for transatlantic flights- so I understand.

What I do to prepare is first make sure I have his spot reserved and brace myself every time for the insane price tag (400 euros round trip) I always carry a HUGE ziploc dog kit. In it I put in some extra wee wee pads. A small baggie or container of peanut butter, some treats, benadryl or dramamine depending on if your pups are ok with it, a small sealed container that I can fill with water, a muzzle (just in case, never have had to use it though)and some small toys to go with him in his bag.

The first time I traveled with him on a plane he did throw up, he does also throw up in cars so this wasn't a shock. I just took him in his case to the lavatory, let him out, cleaned it up (I line his bag which is a hard case with a wee wee pad for this reason, its still soft and he has blankie)If your dog has no problem with motion sickness then some people suggest giving them a special rawhide treat to distract them. I would do this in a heartbeat if DV wasn't a puker. He only threw up that one time and has been fine every since on planes.

Another HUGE help is usually we try to book a morning flight and keep him active all night so he doesn't sleep and we all peacefully sleep on the plane since our flights are so long. You may not need to do this, but running them ragged does help a ton. My dog also doesn't like when the drink/food cart comes by so I make sure to zip up the flap that lets him see out. I also restrict food and water for 8-12 hours prior, again you have a shorter flight so I would adjust that.

Let me know if you need more information or have questions, I am so used to plane and dog travel now.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2009 2:46:22 PM
Author: sba771
I fly to and from Europe and NY with my 8 lbs dog all the time. He is my life and I threw a fit and made my FI''s company book us on a certain airline because they are the only ones that allow dogs in the cabin for transatlantic flights- so I understand.

What I do to prepare is first make sure I have his spot reserved and brace myself every time for the insane price tag (400 euros round trip) I always carry a HUGE ziploc dog kit. In it I put in some extra wee wee pads. A small baggie or container of peanut butter, some treats, benadryl or dramamine depending on if your pups are ok with it, a small sealed container that I can fill with water, a muzzle (just in case, never have had to use it though)and some small toys to go with him in his bag.

The first time I traveled with him on a plane he did throw up, he does also throw up in cars so this wasn''t a shock. I just took him in his case to the lavatory, let him out, cleaned it up (I line his bag which is a hard case with a wee wee pad for this reason, its still soft and he has blankie)If your dog has no problem with motion sickness then some people suggest giving them a special rawhide treat to distract them. I would do this in a heartbeat if DV wasn''t a puker. He only threw up that one time and has been fine every since on planes.

Another HUGE help is usually we try to book a morning flight and keep him active all night so he doesn''t sleep and we all peacefully sleep on the plane since our flights are so long. You may not need to do this, but running them ragged does help a ton. My dog also doesn''t like when the drink/food cart comes by so I make sure to zip up the flap that lets him see out. I also restrict food and water for 8-12 hours prior, again you have a shorter flight so I would adjust that.

Let me know if you need more information or have questions, I am so used to plane and dog travel now.

When you say you reserve his spot, does that mean you reserve an entire seat for him? or does he sit under the seat in front of you? The thought of my babies flying makes me so nervous, because they won''t know what''s happenning and we will want to hold them in blankies, ESPECIALLY during take off because it feels the yuckiest! - they will be six and seven years old at the time. We should have started flying with them when they were babies. We don''t have the option of leaving them behind right now either. Ahhhh!! So stressful!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
My mom has flown with our Chihuahua multiple times (once from Hawaii to Texas) and he''s been fine each time (always flew with him under the seat). We made sure he was comfortable in his Sherpa carrier, had a towel, and that we had an "emergency" kit with us (i.e. baggies with food, his bowls for water and food, plastic bags and newspapers (since he''s paper-trained), etc. On layovers we would take him to use the bathroom but he rarely did - he was the "hold it in forever" type, lol. He was pretty calm all throughout - didn''t whine, cry, bark. My mom would every so often reach into his bag and pet him and reassure him that she was still there during the flight (he''s super-attached to her).

I''ll actually be flying home with my two kittens in a few weeks so I''m trying to get together a list of things I need to take with me (on the plane, bowls for water and a small bag of food since there will be a 3 hour layover, a couple small toys for the bag, a towel in the bag, and in the suitcase, their dry food in a airtight container, enough cans of wet food for the trip, more bowls, treats, and more toys). I might also dab a bit of Feliway on their towel in the carrier so they relax a little more.

Good luck!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/1/2009 12:12:54 AM
Author: missjae
Date: 10/31/2009 2:46:22 PM

Author: sba771

When you say you reserve his spot, does that mean you reserve an entire seat for him? or does he sit under the seat in front of you? The thought of my babies flying makes me so nervous, because they won''t know what''s happenning and we will want to hold them in blankies, ESPECIALLY during take off because it feels the yuckiest! - they will be six and seven years old at the time. We should have started flying with them when they were babies. We don''t have the option of leaving them behind right now either. Ahhhh!! So stressful!

He was in the space under me, but you still have to call the airline in advance and make them aware that you will be flying with dogs. They have a limit to how many are allowed in the cabin at once, so I try to reserve as soon as I have my tickets. I am sure it is MUCH cheaper domestically. Think of it this way, while there is a little odd sensation when you take off, you are pretty stable in the plane- maybe try to get a sit in the middle of the plane so they don''t feel it as much. We have never been able to take him out of his bag as a courtesy to other passengers, (I am a crazy dog parent and yes I think my dog is the best in the world and was upset I couldn''t just let him curl up in my lap, but I did understand this) but I have put his case on my lap, unzipped it and petted him for a lot of it. I have read on some websites that if you tell the flight attendant you have a dog and they are cool, sometimes they let you take them out. I hope they do! (My dog is quieter than a kid!) I think an important thing is for you to be relaxed about it because they pick up tension. I really think my pup threw up the first time because he knew I was SO nervous, now we all have it down to a science. Just stay calm, its a quick flight and give them lots of love through their bag and I am sure they will come out great. And honestly, worse comes to worse they let out a bark or have some bodily function. Well you can clean the bodily function in the bathroom and I am sure there will be some screaming child on your flight since there always seems to be, so no one will hear your pups!
2.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Definitely check with your airline. There are several who only allow ONE dog in the cabin. Not one per passenger, one in the entire airplane. I''ve flown with my Silky Terrier, and also a mini dachshund several times. They did just fine.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missjae, don''t worry . . . I think they''ll do fine!
1.gif

When we got Tucker (our French Bulldog puppy) back in September, I had to fly to Marquette, Michigan to pick him up and bring him home. He flew in the cabin with us, in his Sherpa under the seat. He was only 15 weeks old at the time, and he did GREAT! We had to change planes in Detroit, so we were on the plane for about an hour to an hour and a half at a time (Marquette to Detroit, and then Detroit to BWI). He really did very well. Like you, I was worried about flying with him at first, but he just slept the whole way. I think he was even sleeping most of the time we were carrying him through the airport in his Sherpa! LOL! So I really don''t think you have anything to worry about. Oh, and our vet recommended that we NOT give him any kind of sedative, because if (God forbid!) he should have a reaction to it, we couldn''t get him any medical care since we''d be in the air. Also, ask the flight attendant for some ice as soon as you get on the plane . . . you can feed them ice chips to keep them from getting thirsty.
5.gif

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Most airlines allow 5-7 animals in the cabin per flight. You HAVE to make reservations for this and pay extra fees (gotta love it. There''s an extra fee for everything now a days).

That being said, Sherpa carriers are great. The soft, semi-structured ones are awesome because you can be 1 or 2 inches above the limit and still be fine because they smoosh down a little.

I just flew cross country (6 hours) with three cats. At 6 in the morning. In my 7th month of pregnancy. Talk about insanity. But in all honesty, it turned out way better than I thought it would. You just have to think of things ahead of time.

Make sure you read all of the airline policies, check in at the counter to pay your fees, and be aware that you have to take the dogs OUT of the carrier for the security check point. I didn''t know that last snippet of info and ended up holding my terrified 18 pound cat through security while wearing a sleeveless shirt. I thought he might tear me to pieces.

Make sure the pups get a nice, regular breakfast the morning of about 30 minutes before the flight (not the time to give them something special in case they get upset tummies). Get some samples of their food that are clearly marked or small bags of treats and put them in your carry-on bag, so they can snack if you think they are interested on the plane.

Since you have pups and not cats (cats tend to hold it in), wee wee pads in the carriers might be a good thing. They are absorbant and if you bring extras and also plastic bags, you can dispose of them to cut down on any offensive smells.

As for medication, it''s not recommended by most vets because a lot of anti-anxiety medications slow down respiratory rates and heart rates. Coupled with a stressful situation, changes in altitude, and wacky temperatures that most planes have, it''s not the best idea. Bach''s Rescue Remedy is great though. You can get it from Whole Foods and it''s a natural herbal supplement. You just drop a few drops on their tongues and it calms then without affecting their heart and lungs. All three of my babes got Rescue Remedy before the flight and we didn''t hear a peep the whole time. We also used it for 5 days last year when we drove cross country with them and they did remarkably well.

Good luck!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
You''re worried about your dogs being overanxious on a flight that''s scheduled... 11 months from now?

Is it a safe assumption that you yourself are tense on planes?

I have flown with my dog quite a bit, and the precautions I took early on to up the odds of him traveling well paid off. He''s a trooper and completely nonplussed by air travel. As for tips, it''s a rather simple one that makes perfect sense with what we know about how dogs think.

When each of the dogs I''ve trained was a pup, I''d begin early to get them to love their sherpa bag. I''d put it out and make a big deal about it until the dog was very interested in it. I''d put the little one in there and give them attention for 20 seconds then remove them. I''d put treats in the bag so it had positive associations. Because of dogs natural affection for "dens", it didn''t take much for them to love their sherpa bags. Then, I''d take them for short trips in the car in the sherpa bag to destinations they''d like: the dog park, the outdoor market with all the nice ladies who''d give him treats, to a friend''s house who had dogs with whom my dog liked to play, et cetera. In short order the dog was happy to see the bag, happy to get in the bag, and had no problems just kickin'' it in the bag for a two to three hour stretch at a time. From that point, flying is easy. To a dog, being in a vehicle which travels at 70 mph is equally as unnatural as being in a vehicle that goes aloft and travels at 700 mph; if the conditions to them feel nearly identical they''ll approach each the same way. If they learn that good things come out of circumstances where they sit in their little travel den for three hours as the vehicle of transport makes its little turns, dips, and vibrations, they''ll be happy and relaxed during it no matter whether it''s a car or a plane... assuming, of course, they''re not picking up "panic" clues from their pack leader in one and not the other, of course.
2.gif

Dogs can be easy; have you found a way to make sure YOU''RE not freaked out on the flight?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
cellososweet - that was a good read! I am flying cross country in 2 weeks with a cat and in January we''ll be flying to China with one (and he''s 19 pounds!) and I''ve had this on my mind a lot and that was great info! Thanks!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 2:05:15 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
You''re worried about your dogs being overanxious on a flight that''s scheduled... 11 months from now?

Is it a safe assumption that you yourself are tense on planes?

I have flown with my dog quite a bit, and the precautions I took early on to up the odds of him traveling well paid off. He''s a trooper and completely nonplussed by air travel. As for tips, it''s a rather simple one that makes perfect sense with what we know about how dogs think.

When each of the dogs I''ve trained was a pup, I''d begin early to get them to love their sherpa bag. I''d put it out and make a big deal about it until the dog was very interested in it. I''d put the little one in there and give them attention for 20 seconds then remove them. I''d put treats in the bag so it had positive associations. Because of dogs natural affection for ''dens'', it didn''t take much for them to love their sherpa bags. Then, I''d take them for short trips in the car in the sherpa bag to destinations they''d like: the dog park, the outdoor market with all the nice ladies who''d give him treats, to a friend''s house who had dogs with whom my dog liked to play, et cetera. In short order the dog was happy to see the bag, happy to get in the bag, and had no problems just kickin'' it in the bag for a two to three hour stretch at a time. From that point, flying is easy. To a dog, being in a vehicle which travels at 70 mph is equally as unnatural as being in a vehicle that goes aloft and travels at 700 mph; if the conditions to them feel nearly identical they''ll approach each the same way. If they learn that good things come out of circumstances where they sit in their little travel den for three hours as the vehicle of transport makes its little turns, dips, and vibrations, they''ll be happy and relaxed during it no matter whether it''s a car or a plane... assuming, of course, they''re not picking up ''panic'' clues from their pack leader in one and not the other, of course.
2.gif

Dogs can be easy; have you found a way to make sure YOU''RE not freaked out on the flight?

FDL - I''m not worried about my "dogs" being overanxious on a flight eleven months from now, I am worried about my BABIES being upset on a flight and though it IS eleven months from now, it is part of my sisters destination wedding plans and so is something we need to and are thinking about NOW.

Our girls aren''t your average pups, they act and are treated like the babies of this family and unlike the dogs you train, have not been exposed to crates, carriers or traveling in what will be the six and seven years of their lives at the time of flight which isn''t an ideal time to start introducing new things. To top it off, they are both epileptic and so we have a lot to think about when it comes to flying with them and that is why I''ve reached out to the PriceScope Community for advice, suggestions and support.

Thank you for your concern about my mental state during flights but I will be fine, it''s my babies I worry about.

My Mom and Dad have bred, trained, raised, groomed and shown litters of Dogs and so when it comes to professional aspect we are covered, but, like I mentioned before, our babies aren''t normal "dogs" and so something like flying, that can be so stressful to humans who can verbally/mentally understand what is going on seems like a reasonable fear and concern for our sweethearts who can''t and that''s what lead me to my post in the first place.

It''s NEVER too soon to figure out what''s best for our babies!!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Thank you EBree! We will be talking to our Vet closer to the date :)

missjae

Shiny_Rock
sba, you''re awesome! thank you for posting :) I will show your post to my Mom and Sister, it will be very helpful!!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
B.E.G - our babies are super attached to our Mom as well, thank you for the tip about her reaching in - I know our girls would definitely find that calming.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Irish - thanks for mentioning the ice chips! and thank you for the support it''s always nerve wracking when you think your babies will be in a stressful situation and to worry that it may not go well.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Cello - thank you for your post - it was very informative and educational and thank you for mentioning about the medications as I''ve heard the same things about them. I''ve also heard that some of them may not work because the pets adrenaline in that high state of stress may counteract the sedative anyway and our girls being epileptic we would NOT want to put them in a compromising situation. We will be talking to their vet but hearing everyone''s success stories and learning the tips and tricks is appreciated!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 3:32:20 AM
FDL - I'm not worried about my 'dogs' being overanxious on a flight eleven months from now, I am worried about my BABIES being upset on a flight and though it IS eleven months from now, it is part of my sisters destination wedding plans and so is something we need to and are thinking about NOW.

Our girls aren't your average pups, they act and are treated like the babies of this family and unlike the dogs you train, have not been exposed to crates, carriers or traveling in what will be the six and seven years of their lives at the time of flight which isn't an ideal time to start introducing new things. To top it off, they are both epileptic and so we have a lot to think about when it comes to flying with them and that is why I've reached out to the PriceScope Community for advice, suggestions and support.

Thank you for your concern about my mental state during flights but I will be fine, it's my babies I worry about.

My Mom and Dad have bred, trained, raised, groomed and shown litters of Dogs and so when it comes to professional aspect we are covered, but, like I mentioned before, our babies aren't normal 'dogs' and so something like flying, that can be so stressful to humans who can verbally/mentally understand what is going on seems like a reasonable fear and concern for our sweethearts who can't and that's what lead me to my post in the first place.

It's NEVER too soon to figure out what's best for our babies!!

Well, fortunately your canine babies do not watch the evening news so they won't have the typical reservations from planes via projected potential disasters that humans will. As you yourself said, their mental understanding and experience will give them a different take than a human would.

If your pups have never been exposed to sherpa bags or crates, such things are required by commercial airlines, and you will not be subjecting them to it at this time, am I correct to assume that you will be chartering/timesharing a private flight on a small jet?

If going by private jet:

-- Find a way to keep the pups stationary/lying down for beginning and end of journey for their safety.
-- For the middle part, bring a soft-sided bed from home to keep near your feet. Bring water bowls and a couple of toys.
-- And, of course, be sure to check with your jet charter company they do not have restrictions themselves on how pets may travel. Many still require crate-restriction like the commercial airlines, so you'll want to double-check that yours doesn't.

Of course, if your parents show dogs, they probably can give you tips as to how they take their Gr. Ch.'s to international competitions on planes. What has their advice to you been? In any event, good luck! Hope you all have a great time at your sister's wedding!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2009 5:50:12 PM

FDL - I''m not worried about my ''dogs'' being overanxious on a flight eleven months from now, I am worried about my BABIES being upset on a flight and though it IS eleven months from now, it is part of my sisters destination wedding plans and so is something we need to and are thinking about NOW.

Our girls aren''t your average pups, they act and are treated like the babies of this family and unlike the dogs you train, have not been exposed to crates, carriers or traveling in what will be the six and seven years of their lives at the time of flight which isn''t an ideal time to start introducing new things. To top it off, they are both epileptic and so we have a lot to think about when it comes to flying with them and that is why I''ve reached out to the PriceScope Community for advice, suggestions and support.

Thank you for your concern about my mental state during flights but I will be fine, it''s my babies I worry about.

My Mom and Dad have bred, trained, raised, groomed and shown litters of Dogs and so when it comes to professional aspect we are covered, but, like I mentioned before, our babies aren''t normal ''dogs'' and so something like flying, that can be so stressful to humans who can verbally/mentally understand what is going on seems like a reasonable fear and concern for our sweethearts who can''t and that''s what lead me to my post in the first place.

Well, fortunately your canine babies do not watch the evening news so they won''t have the typical reservations from planes via projected potential disasters that humans will. As you yourself said, their mental understanding and experience will give them a different take than a human would.

If your pups have never been exposed to sherpa bags or crates, such things are required by commercial airlines, and you will not be subjecting them to it at this time, am I correct to assume that you will be chartering/timesharing a private flight on a small jet?

If going by private jet:

-- Find a way to keep the pups stationary/lying down for beginning and end of journey for their safety.
-- For the middle part, bring a soft-sided bed from home to keep near your feet. Bring water bowls and a couple of toys.
-- And, of course, be sure to check with your jet charter company they do not have restrictions themselves on how pets may travel. Many still require crate-restriction like the commercial airlines, so you''ll want to double-check that yours doesn''t.

Of course, if your parents show dogs, they probably can give you tips as to how they take their Gr. Ch.''s to international competitions on planes. What has their advice to you been? In any event, good luck! Hope you all have a great time at your sister''s wedding!
If going by private jet, you can do anything you want with your dogs, believe me, I speak from experience.
2.gif
There is no need to bring food or water, you can just have the charter company arrange that if you want. They won''t need a carrier either, they can have their own seat, sofa or bed depending on how the airplane is configured. You get what you pay for with this option.
3.gif

Miss Jae, I would speak with the vet about this issue. I''m not sure if their having epilepsy changes anything you might be required to do with/for them. Certainly there are mild sedatives if that would be necessary, and anti-nausea meds if that is an issue. I''m sure getting them used to travelling in a crate for the flight won''t be that much of an issue either. We have flown 3 puppies across the country with no problems at all. Take care!

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 5:50:12 PM

FDL - I''m not worried about my ''dogs'' being overanxious on a flight eleven months from now, I am worried about my BABIES being upset on a flight and though it IS eleven months from now, it is part of my sisters destination wedding plans and so is something we need to and are thinking about NOW.

My Mom and Dad have bred, trained, raised, groomed and shown litters of Dogs and so when it comes to professional aspect we are covered, but, like I mentioned before, our babies aren''t normal ''dogs'' and so something like flying, that can be so stressful to humans who can verbally/mentally understand what is going on seems like a reasonable fear and concern for our sweethearts who can''t and that''s what lead me to my post in the first place.

Well, fortunately your canine babies do not watch the evening news so they won''t have the typical reservations from planes via projected potential disasters that humans will. As you yourself said, their mental understanding and experience will give them a different take than a human would.

If going by private jet:

-- And, of course, be sure to check with your jet charter company they do not have restrictions themselves on how pets may travel. Many still require crate-restriction like the commercial airlines, so you''ll want to double-check that yours doesn''t.

Of course, if your parents show dogs, they probably can give you tips as to how they take their Gr. Ch.''s to international competitions on planes. What has their advice to you been? In any event, good luck! Hope you all have a great time at your sister''s wedding!

I think the entire point is being missed here, she is wanting advice on how to get the puppies prepared for a flight in the next 11 months. That may include teaching them to be in carrier, being apart from one another and learning to cope with any stresses that a new experience may have on them. I do not like the rude undertones that I feel when reading this post. I know for a fact that missjae is only wanting advice from others who have experienced travel with their pets.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 6:24:22 PM
Author: missjaxon

I think the entire point is being missed here, she is wanting advice on how to get the puppies prepared for a flight in the next 11 months. That may include teaching them to be in carrier, being apart from one another and learning to cope with any stresses that a new experience may have on them. I do not like the rude undertones that I feel when reading this post. I know for a fact that missjae is only wanting advice from others who have experienced travel with their pets.

Missjaxon, do you mean something more along the lines of what I originally suggested to Missjae early in the thread on 11/3?
2.gif

missjae

Shiny_Rock
FLD - I appreciate your advice, it''s just being presented in an unusual manner as every useful piece of information you offer is laced between passive insults and ignorant assumptions. I love PS for the supportive, educational and informative community it is and your input is valued, but please be kind - everyone is here to help one another and I too note the undertones in your posts and it''s uncomfortable. I''m only looking for advice, not judgement. I''m sorry if it offends you that I am concerned about something so far in advance, but, it''s about something that is very important to me and that''s why I created this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results