shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a Ruby

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Considering a ruby ring for my "push present" (baby due in Dec). I am looking for a nice heat treated pretty red stone. I'd like it to have a good color and decent clarity (not into the opaque looking rubies). Budget for project is $2,000 and I'd like to save at least $700 for the setting. Any ideas? Size = as big as possible. Shape = open to any right now.

Thanks!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your thoughts on BE treatment? Tan has what looks to be a pretty ruby that is BE treated in the $500 price range. Or if you like red spinels as an alternative Whitefish gems has a couple that would be very nice. BTW- Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
What is BE treatment?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beryllium treatment is a heat treatment that uses beryllium to alter or enhance the color in rubies and sapphires from my understanding. From what I have read it is a treatment that alters the color of the whole stone- not just the surface. Personally I don't think that this is a bad thing as long as it is disclosed. I was eyeing the 1.5 carat BE treated ruby that Tan has on one of his sites but the stubborn gem purist in me is grinding her heals in at the moment. In my life, and in my circle of friends no one is going to care if I have a ruby that is BE treated or not. They think "pretty" for the most part and do not ask for lab reports or anything like that. But I am sure that other PS member who are more experienced will chime in and give you better advice. :)

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry - who is Tan? Where is this stone you are talking about? I'm new to the colored stone boards. :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tan is a reputable ebay seller who sells under Gemburionline, VVS1 gems and Odyssey gems. I don't think you can go wrong with Wildfish gems from what others have posted about Ed. I search his site daily on my quest for my perfect spinel. Everyone has their preferences for size of gemstones. For me I like colored stones about 1.5 carat or more. When I have a stone under 1.5 carats I compensate with a setting that usually has alot of diamonds. But I have never been a fan of dainty. lol Good luck in your search!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I've got small hands - so I'm not concerned about the stone being too big. Really want a pretty stone more than anything else. :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Beryllium diffusion (Be treatment) is where they heat the stone to very high temperatures along with the element beryllium.

These temperatures are just below the melting point of the sapphire and alter the lattice structure of the gem allowing the Beryllium atoms to penetrate and change the colour.

When the treatment first appeared in 2000, it was merely skin-deep which caused problems when a stone was repolished and the outer layer was removed revealing the paler stone inside. Today, diffusion penetrates the whole stone and is a stable and permanent treatment.

If you just want a pretty stone then Be treatment allows you to buy what looks like a very expensive stone for a fraction of the cost and in my mind is far, far better than one of the ghastly lead-glass filled rubies that are out there by the hundreds of kilos right now.

I have a few pairs of earrings where I just wanted a particular colour and they were a very reasonable price compared with the $$$$ it would have cost of the untreated equivalent.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jax172|1319688008|3048497 said:

If the photo is accurate, it's not very attractive, and kind of expensive. WIll probably look more like a garnet than a ruby in person. You can buy an untreated pyrope garnet that color for ten times less (if you like that color).

I would personally look for a beryllium treated ruby (if you like a more intense red color) or a pyrope garnet, if you don't mind a very dark toned red stone that isn't very saturated in color. There are some pretty pyrope garnets with lots of flash out there. Barry Bridgestock of acstones.com and Gene of precisiongem.com often sell very lovely reddish and pink garnets of various shapes and colors for affordable pricing, and much prettier than that ruby above. You can also look at the preowned jewels forum, as there is someone unloading a lot of second hand stones from Barry Bridgestock. Her name is Freke, and she might have a very pretty color garnet for you.

Very very affordable, and all these garnets are untreated too. I think you'll save a lot of money that way. Rubies are just uber expensive in fine quality unless you get a heavily treated one, or a very ugly dark one.

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/freke-is-unloading-t166532.html

ETA: Oh, and congratulations on the new baby!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
flame me if you must but at All that Glitters i saw a wonderful lab grown ruby that i'd go for before i'd buy a BE- ruby........ wonderful cut, no windowing, etc. yes, it was not created in nature but it is real in the sense that it has the same chemical structure AND without BE or fracture filling. of course, it was a very high quality cut.......almost too perfect re color and cut, if you know what i mean.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I want a ruby because it is my birthstone. So I'm not looking into other stones at the moment.

Would one be able to find two small sidestones in a ruby easier than a larger stone? Thinking maybe the rubies will be an accent to a diamond I have instead. Probably about 0.15 to 0.20 each?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jax172|1319733578|3048776 said:
I want a ruby because it is my birthstone. So I'm not looking into other stones at the moment.

Would one be able to find two small sidestones in a ruby easier than a larger stone? Thinking maybe the rubies will be an accent to a diamond I have instead. Probably about 0.15 to 0.20 each?

You will be able to get an affordable pair in your price range if you can get be-treated ones, or very included heated ones.

This is an affordable Burma ruby, but it is very small. I think he sells pairs too, but his finer material really gets up there in price.

http://www.africagems.com/ruby-g2k-450.html

I would also ask Gene from precisiongem.com if he has any more Lake Barringo rubies left. He has a pretty one that sold, with a picture still up on his website. They're well cut by him, and more affordable.

Only buy rubies from highly reputable dealers, or you'll be stuck with an overpriced lead glass filled or be-treated stone.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have emailed Gene and it looks like Africa gems has some options in cheaper sidestones so maybe I will go that route.
Thanks!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You may want to look at the rubies offered at Gemfix (www.gemfix.com).

I completely understand wanting a ruby versus other stones, and I think it is doable within your budget if you go with BE treatment, as already posted above.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results