shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a grass-green square stone suitable for a ring?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have a friend who is looking for a square checkerboard cut grass/yellow green gem the colour of peridot. She would like it to be 10 x 10mm and is looking to set it in a medieval-style closed setting.
She’s flexible on price and somewhat on cut but quite set on square, not brilliant per se. She would like to wear this as an everyday ring so is thinking peridot is going to be too soft.
Any ideas? I was thinking maybe tsavorite garnet or chrysoberyl or green sapphire could be hard enough? Or would peridot wear ok enough if she’s fine with replacing the centre stone every x many years?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to see a green tsav in a medieval style setting but I think that the 10mm requirement would make this option $$$$. :confused2:

I think peridot is a good option if she's willing to replace it as needed. Does she like the color of chrysoberyl? That's a good option too.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If she were looking for a square cut for a closed setting would she be open to maybe a "rose" checkerboard cut? Or maybe a sugarloaf stone? It would maybe take away some of the weight if $$ is an issue. And for a Medieval setting, i think that both would look great and more time period appropriate.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 yes she’s keen on chrysoberyl but I couldn’t find anyone with it in that sort of cut. I know there’s an Australian cutter (Doug?), is this the sort of thing he would do? And yes, how glorious would a 10mm tsav be? :eek2:
@metall I was wondering about a sugarloaf cab. I’ll suggest it. She’s got a trial ring in the size and colour to see if she likes it and can handle the size and I think that’s a checkerboard rose cut.
Thanks!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 yes she’s keen on chrysoberyl but I couldn’t find anyone with it in that sort of cut. I know there’s an Australian cutter (Doug?), is this the sort of thing he would do? And yes, how glorious would a 10mm tsav be? :eek2:
@metall I was wondering about a sugarloaf cab. I’ll suggest it. She’s got a trial ring in the size and colour to see if she likes it and can handle the size and I think that’s a checkerboard rose cut.
Thanks!

Yes, that's Doug Menadue from Bespoke Gems. I had a blue topaz cut by him and it's stunning work. I totally recommend him. I'd reach out via email to see what he can do. :D

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I recommended a tourmaline to my friend who wants a stone that color. I think I asked almost this same question a few weeks ago. There are some very pretty yellowish green tourmalines out there now. Check Seda gems. He had some a little while ago.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommended a tourmaline to my friend who wants a stone that color. I think I asked almost this same question a few weeks ago. There are some very pretty yellowish green tourmalines out there now. Check Seda gems. He had some a little while ago.
I will check your past threads - thank you!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Why not peridot?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not peridot?
Because she wants this to be an everyday ring and peridot is too soft. But if she can’t find the right stone, she might just buy a number of peridots and just reset every time they get too banged up

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK here is the peridot that I won in a lottery. Apple-green. If your friend does not find anything better, we can revisit this issue - maybe she will enjoy the stone? ( 20180610_170159.jpg I am not strongly motivated to sell, so it is not a sales promotion, but at the same time, it is lovely, and maybe someone could feel good looking at it? And since it came to me free, i shall donate the proceedings to Gubbio project in California, as their homelessness crisis is abysmal).

voce

Ideal_Rock
@foxinsox tourmaline ranges 7.0-7.5 on Mohs while peridot is 7.0. Are tourmalines really significantly better on wear than peridots? (Just trying to learn if you know, as I've got tourmalines and a peridot to set sometime later this year. I am so clumsy that I probably caused a little internal crack in my ruby. Afraid I'll ruin softer gemstones if I'm not careful.)

@Arkteia where do you play the lottery that you win gemstones as prizes? Please tell me, I wanna play :roll2:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox tourmaline ranges 7.0-7.5 on Mohs while peridot is 7.0. Are tourmalines really significantly better on wear than peridots? (Just trying to learn if you know, as I've got tourmalines and a peridot to set sometime later this year. I am so clumsy that I probably caused a little internal crack in my ruby. Afraid I'll ruin softer gemstones if I'm not careful.)

@Arkteia where do you play the lottery that you win gemstones as prizes? Please tell me, I wanna play :roll2:

Once it was a charity auction, and we collected money, but I won a synthetic ruby. (Gorgeous cut, btw). Another time, it was a store promotion - with this stone. (I wanted to pair it with pink square spinel, but the cut of the spinel is different. But it is very clean, so of course a potential for a ring or a necklace). This is why I said, I am not too eager to sell, but if they don't find anything, at least this one is super pretty, and on a budget for a ring.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
IMHO the rating on the moh's scale is, ahm, 'overrated', as my prof-physics' husband agrees, and there are many other parameters to durability, and then there are protective settings, so, I don't think tourmaline is always tougher than peridot.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO the rating on the moh's scale is, ahm, 'overrated', as my prof-physics' husband agrees, and there are many other parameters to durability, and then there are protective settings, so, I don't think tourmaline is always tougher than peridot.
There’s cleavage planes and brittleness to be considered as well.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some old chrome tourmalines are gorgeous, but they are expensive.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK here is the peridot that I won in a lottery. Apple-green. If your friend does not find anything better, we can revisit this issue - maybe she will enjoy the stone? ( 20180610_170159.jpg I am not strongly motivated to sell, so it is not a sales promotion, but at the same time, it is lovely, and maybe someone could feel good looking at it? And since it came to me free, i shall donate the proceedings to Gubbio project in California, as their homelessness crisis is abysmal).
I missed your reply I'm sorry! that's a lovely stone but I think it's too small for what she's after. Thank you though.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Anne111 and @chrono so would peridot be ok for daily wear if the mohs hardness is overrated?
@Arkteia chrome tourmalines are gorgeous - I've not seen any in the cut that she's after. I think she's not worried about the budget if the stone is right colour and cut. I did ask her about how her plans are going and she's trying a temporary ring to see if she likes the colour/size etc since she's not used to wearing anything other than a band currently.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My mom wore a Peridot ring for some years, almost 24/7 and it had so much facet abrasion it wasn't sparkly anymore. I would not worry about cracking/chipping the stone, I would worry about facet abrasion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Occasionally, peridot is fine.
Everyday, it isn’t due to facet abrasion.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I missed your reply I'm sorry! that's a lovely stone but I think it's too small for what she's after. Thank you though.
No problem, I like it myself. I just thought, maybe it could make someone's day.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
You need to have a setting with a high bezel that will hold off anything from touching the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results