shape
carat
color
clarity

looking at the side of the stone theory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I have a cousin with a large oval that I can''t wait to see at thanksgiving and I''m wondering how I can get her to let me photograph it ROFL!!! anyway... I was thinking about when I saw her/it next and taking her hand and looking at the ring up close so I could see the *rnig* ie the gallery and I thought of the girl here (don''t recall her name) who twice has posted threads saying "why do people look into my stone like they''re trying to see yellow" and maybe they''re not even lookinga t the diamond maybe they''re curious about her ring! anyway I was just thinking about that and like a true diamond geek I''m planning my attack 3 weeks in advance - I wonder if it would bug her if I put my finger on the table hahaha ;-)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, can you maybe tell her you have developed a true appreciation for diamonds and maybe even show her PS? (I know "normal" people probably think we''re all a bunch of nuts, lol) You could try priming her with a glass of wine or two first...
31.gif
Then tell her you need to take pics of her stone for "diamond ****." LOL!

Second thought: do you have a US cleaner you could bring with you to your holiday get-together? I''ve brought my SI to my MIL''s home before under the guise of "hey, I just got this amazing cleaner--want me to clean your diamonds for you?" Then I get a really good look at her stones, hee hee. You could always plug it in in the bathroom (best light for viewing clean sparklies anyway), and take pics on the sly when you''re "using the restroom."
11.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the US Cleaner idea Monarch!!! Maybe take "before" and "after" pictures!
27.gif

reader

Brilliant_Rock
If she isn''t a PS sort of person, your having to watch a dirty diamond from across a table might make you too upset to eat much....(hehehe)

I love ovals, so I hope you can get some pics, pretty please
12.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
CehraBehra, I think that girl was me! LOL. When people inspect, some do look closely through the side of the diamond... not really at the setting because they're tilting this way and that like they're looking for inclusions or color...holding it up to the light & etc. One guy even ran his nail repeatedly across my facets as if to test if it were "real." It's the darndest thing! Now, it just makes me laugh.

Maybe you could say something appreciative, like how much you like the setting. A real connoisseur's appreciative examining is just different from a layperson's tilting, examining, holding up to the light and squinting.
30.gif
Ya know? The former is fun and positive. The latter is slightly snarky.. which you could never, EVER be!
26.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2006 9:41:17 PM
Author: monarch64
Hmm, can you maybe tell her you have developed a true appreciation for diamonds and maybe even show her PS? (I know ''normal'' people probably think we''re all a bunch of nuts, lol) You could try priming her with a glass of wine or two first...
31.gif
Then tell her you need to take pics of her stone for ''diamond ****.'' LOL!

Second thought: do you have a US cleaner you could bring with you to your holiday get-together? I''ve brought my SI to my MIL''s home before under the guise of ''hey, I just got this amazing cleaner--want me to clean your diamonds for you?'' Then I get a really good look at her stones, hee hee. You could always plug it in in the bathroom (best light for viewing clean sparklies anyway), and take pics on the sly when you''re ''using the restroom.''
11.gif
I don''t have an US yet - heck I don''t even have a RING yet so I might show up with no diamonds and just lust, it might drive her away in fear LOL

BTW at stores I was always asked, "may I loupe it?" and I thought that was weird... of course you can loupe it!! but if someone has some inclusions they don''t want seen I can imagine them cringing when you ask to loupe the stone.... all of this is because I am thinking, how can I get her to loupe my stone, and what if I find something and she asks me what I find, do I tell her??? ignorance is bliss. It''s fun when they loupe mine because the only way to find anything in mine is for it to be perfectly clear and have the plot in front of you and even then you can''t find them all. 9/10 couldn''t find any flaws at all!! oopps I''m gushing about mine now... and really this is about *hers* lol I was so disappointed and jealous when she got married last fall with that huge oval, my dream ring... I wonder how big it is.. ovals are tricky... but it has to be 2 carats I think???

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 1:13:05 AM
Author: reader
If she isn''t a PS sort of person, your having to watch a dirty diamond from across a table might make you too upset to eat much....(hehehe)

I love ovals, so I hope you can get some pics, pretty please
12.gif
bahaha I don''t know if I''m the type to be bothered by dirty diamonds...

Oh!!! husband and I met for sushi yesterday (omg yum but that''s another topic) and the waitress had this huge rock and I said, "oh that''s lovely!" and she grinned and blurted out in broken english, "It immitation, got in korea" LMAO!!!

I also commented to this othe rwoman I met a few weeks ago how lovely her ring was and she said it was a CZ and that she and her husband were philosophically against the diamond industry

UGHHHGHGHGH two times I venture to comment on someone''s rig and both imes they''re fakes!!! al the diamonds here mst be little
7.gif
so of course mine will look fake too lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 11:28:10 AM
Author: Julian
CehraBehra, I think that girl was me! LOL. When people inspect, some do look closely through the side of the diamond... not really at the setting because they''re tilting this way and that like they''re looking for inclusions or color...holding it up to the light & etc. One guy even ran his nail repeatedly across my facets as if to test if it were ''real.'' It''s the darndest thing! Now, it just makes me laugh.

Maybe you could say something appreciative, like how much you like the setting. A real connoisseur''s appreciative examining is just different from a layperson''s tilting, examining, holding up to the light and squinting.
30.gif
Ya know? The former is fun and positive. The latter is slightly snarky.. which you could never, EVER be!
26.gif
I''m going to try my best and always assume the best of people looking at my stone...because theyr eally are pretty and sometimes it''s hard to tel if they''re just in awe or being critical... and I know Im'' going to be a bit defensive about the J color - not because I don''t like it, *I* happen to like it better than a D because it is richer etc. I dunno, but I know *other people* use different criteria and it''s going to bother me if they sneer at my stone. I doubt someone felt your facets to see if they were real, they probably ust felt cool! big faets are very compelling! I''ve run my finger over them many times ROFL!! In fact I''m very sad my stone is being set so I won''t have 360* access anymore!!! lol Of course in exchange I''l have the secuty to try it in difrent lightings like maaroni grill and home depot
41.gif

I hope I will always be fun and positive... you can tell before you even ask to see a ring if there''s something you can say (sincerely from your personal bank of opinions) about the ring that is nice... so hopefully if you can''t you won''t even ask to look more closely LOL Nothing much worse than "may I see your ring" followed by "thanks" without some gratiuitous gushing ROFL!!!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Cehrabehra, if you saw someone sneering at your stone -- they were probably just grimacing because your stone was blinding them with fire.
Trust me, no one''s going to do anything but drool over that puppy!
30.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 12:25:28 PM
Author: Julian
Cehrabehra, if you saw someone sneering at your stone -- they were probably just grimacing because your stone was blinding them with fire.
Trust me, no one''s going to do anything but drool over that puppy!
30.gif
oh I dunno, I have one ''friend'' who will be critical I''m sure.... not to mention, if you''ve had that many people being weird about your stone, what makes you think they won''t be about mine? LOL! People are just *weird* yanno!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results