shape
carat
color
clarity

Look! A home in my price range, finally! For $475,000...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is $415,000. They make you call to get info on it, but from the pictures, it has a wine cellar and pool. It''s in the RICH area of town, where my insurance boss lives, so I''m guessing 4000 sq ft.

otheriahouseforsale.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
What city, state?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 9:04:53 PM
Author: Beacon
Don''t need to go to Texas - look at this bank owned new home in Roseville, CA which is about 125 miles away from the one Mara posted:

http://www.californiamoves.com/Property/propertydetails.aspx?SearchID=7364812&PropertyGUID=62D75F6C-6594-4008-8A6D-548ECF2DF41E&RowNum=4

It could use some landscaping! But I bet the bank would take a low offer
1.gif

I would buy one of these myself if I could think what to do with it - second home? White elephant?
I don''t think the link is working, so here is the photo: 3600 square, 4br 4 ba, three years old, three car garage 418K. Make offer - REO!

62d75f6c-6594-4008-8a6d-548ecf2df41e.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 9:45:52 PM
What city, state?

Tis NW Iowa!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the inside of one local $400K house:

kit 400K.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
And a shot of the living/family room:

lv rm 400K.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Holly!!!!
23.gif
I would hate to think what that house would have gone for here, a few years ago.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Another local beauty:

396K HOUSE.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's interesting Beacon...I watch our area like a hawk, mostly because we recently bought our place and I am curious, but my friend is also looking in this area as is another friend so we are always looking online to see what is new, what sold etc. People are still grabbing remodeled old houses like the Clintonia one, but they need to be bigger, mostly 3/2 and 1700 sq ft+... most of these in my zip code are lasting about 20-40 days on the market before they get an offer that is ending up very close to asking. Our realtors sold another house a few months ago in the Clintonia area that was a 3/2 for 770 I think.

Smaller houses like the Clintonia (and that is a short sale which are so hard to get if the bank doesn't want to take pennies) one are staying longer on the market. Also as I noted, the school near us is much better than the school near there, and that does make a difference nowadays when people are looking about where to live.

TG...a 3/2 in my area would be more like 750 right now and they are still going for that, if they are remodeled on a decent piece of land and near the school we have for elementary... people are getting close to asking. There is one a few blocks away from us that had an offer within 15 days, it's a 3/2 and needs a bit of remodeling but is nice

I was born and raised in CA and it's hard to imagine living elsewhere but we are definitely considering it. We want quality of life if we have a family and that might not include working the hours and living the life we do here. This area is not very 'family' centric. My family is here, but people grow up and move on...so we'll see. But for now we're here.
5.gif
I actually don't like other areas of CA and we have been to most of them...I would never live in Sacramento or Livermore or any of those places that are all tract homes all over the place and retirees who like the heat. For us it's Bay Area or probably other state somewhere...we also don't like Southern CA hehe.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 12:24:07 AM
Author: Linda W
OMG Holly!!!!
23.gif
I would hate to think what that house would have gone for here, a few years ago.
The last one I posted was $396K.

We don''t make that much here in TX, so we can''t afford outrageous home prices. DH and I are upper middle class (for our area) and we are trying to find something nice, in a good neighborhood, for no more than $150K. We want to do a 15yr mortgage with 20% (at least) down. Our payments should stay under $1200.00/month; and we will be paid off by retirement.

I would die of sheer happiness to be able to buy the $396K house pictured above. Alas, I married for love, not for money.
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what area of TX holly? i like some areas but Greg would never consider living there unfortunately! we have some good friends who are from dallas and LOVE it there.

i *love* looking at houses in other areas of the country...it's so fun (and comically heartwrenching) to see what else is out there...!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 12:35:45 AM
Author: Mara
what area of TX holly? i like some areas but Greg would never consider living there unfortunately! we have some good friends who are from dallas and LOVE it there.

i *love* looking at houses in other areas of the country...it''s so fun (and comically heartwrenching) to see what else is out there...!
I think the first pictures were the inside of a Gatesville house; the outside shot was Belton. Both cities, if you are not familar, are in Central Texas about 1 to 1.5 hours north of Austin, and 2.5 to 3 hours south of DFW, give or take a few miles.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
HAHAHA, I live by you :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 12:34:26 AM
Author: HollyS

OMG Holly!!!!
23.gif

We don''t make that much here in TX, so we can''t afford outrageous home prices. DH and I are upper middle class (for our area) and we are trying to find something nice, in a good neighborhood, for no more than $150K. We want to do a 15yr mortgage with 20% (at least) down. Our payments should stay under $1200.00/month; and we will be paid off by retirement.

I would die of sheer happiness to be able to buy the $396K house pictured above. Alas, I married for love, not for money.
3.gif
I always wondered if this was the case when I watch property shows on house hunting in Texas -- I notice that the houses are so inexpensive but then the particpants, many who are professionals, are approved for mortgages in the 150s. I guess salaries are *somewhat* commensurate with home prices? Till I think you get a lot of house for the money in Texas!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 8:44:53 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

OMG Holly!!!!
23.gif

3.gif
I always wondered if this was the case when I watch property shows on house hunting in Texas -- I notice that the houses are so inexpensive but then the particpants, many who are professionals, are approved for mortgages in the 150s. I guess salaries are *somewhat* commensurate with home prices? Till I think you get a lot of house for the money in Texas!
When I say "we don''t make that much here in TX", you have to understand the economy of the region. Our standard of living isn''t in the dumpster because we make less; everything costs less. Everything. That''s why we had a lot of the dot.com and technical boom of the 1990s here; where else were they going to build their businesses (with major tax breaks) and hire cheap labor?? Certainly not in CA or on the east coast.

DH and I sit and watch HGTV and are astounded, mouth open, "OMG!", whenever we see people in other states buying crap for a third of a million dollars. Or more! It horrifies us.

There is much less of a difference between the haves and the have-nots in most TX towns. Because the standard of living isn''t astronomical for those with money, and not out of reach for the little guy either. (Outside of the bigger cities, anyway.) It''s why we are one of the states with the highest concentration of (non-Hispanic) immigrants. They can live very well in Texas, when compared to their former country.

And maybe that explains why I''m surprised by the sheer number of posters on PS who will buy a purse that costs thousands, and shoes for several hundred. I know what that will buy here in Texas. My rent, in a house with a lake view, is $1K/month. For some, that''s an accessory. For me, it''s a roof over my head. And a darn good one.

It''s just a difference in perspective. And location. Not a difference in values per se.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 12:29:47 AM
It''s interesting Beacon...I watch our area like a hawk, mostly because we recently bought our place and I am curious, but my friend is also looking in this area as is another friend so we are always looking online to see what is new, what sold etc. People are still grabbing remodeled old houses like the Clintonia one, but they need to be bigger, mostly 3/2 and 1700 sq ft+... most of these in my zip code are lasting about 20-40 days on the market before they get an offer that is ending up very close to asking. Our realtors sold another house a few months ago in the Clintonia area that was a 3/2 for 770 I think.

Smaller houses like the Clintonia (and that is a short sale which are so hard to get if the bank doesn''t want to take pennies) one are staying longer on the market. Also as I noted, the school near us is much better than the school near there, and that does make a difference nowadays when people are looking about where to live.

TG...a 3/2 in my area would be more like 750 right now and they are still going for that, if they are remodeled on a decent piece of land and near the school we have for elementary... people are getting close to asking. There is one a few blocks away from us that had an offer within 15 days, it''s a 3/2 and needs a bit of remodeling but is nice

I was born and raised in CA and it''s hard to imagine living elsewhere but we are definitely considering it. We want quality of life if we have a family and that might not include working the hours and living the life we do here. This area is not very ''family'' centric. My family is here, but people grow up and move on...so we''ll see. But for now we''re here.
5.gif
I actually don''t like other areas of CA and we have been to most of them...I would never live in Sacramento or Livermore or any of those places that are all tract homes all over the place and retirees who like the heat. For us it''s Bay Area or probably other state somewhere...we also don''t like Southern CA hehe.

Mara, I was born and grew up near where you live (South Bay Area). But I live in So Cal (right near Laguna Beach). I LOVE Southern California (more than northernb
31.gif
) but I agree...we have a 2-3 year plan, and then it is back to the east coast, particularly Philadelphia. Where we could make the EXACT same (we used to work there) but with less taxes (much less) and a better housing market.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 12:29:47 AM

I was born and raised in CA and it''s hard to imagine living elsewhere but we are definitely considering it. We want quality of life if we have a family and that might not include working the hours and living the life we do here. This area is not very ''family'' centric. My family is here, but people grow up and move on...so we''ll see. But for now we''re here.
5.gif
I actually don''t like other areas of CA and we have been to most of them...I would never live in Sacramento or Livermore or any of those places that are all tract homes all over the place and retirees who like the heat. For us it''s Bay Area or probably other state somewhere...we also don''t like Southern CA hehe.
Mara
them tract homes are mostly in the newer neighborhoods. there''re some nice older homes in parts of Sacto.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG Holly!!!!
23.gif

3.gif
Holly
i''m gonna sell my house in Ca then move to TX and live like a king.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 9:55:27 PM

Date: 7/16/2009 9:04:53 PM
Don't need to go to Texas - look at this bank owned new home in Roseville, CA which is about 125 miles away from the one Mara posted:

http://www.californiamoves.com/Property/propertydetails.aspx?SearchID=7364812&PropertyGUID=62D75F6C-6594-4008-8A6D-548ECF2DF41E&RowNum=4

It could use some landscaping! But I bet the bank would take a low offer
1.gif

I would buy one of these myself if I could think what to do with it - second home? White elephant?
I don't think the link is working, so here is the photo: 3600 square, 4br 4 ba, three years old, three car garage 418K. Make offer - REO!
This reminds me of my MILs house - she got it at a ridiculously low price. It's in San Bernadino which is a little way out from LA but it's a beautiful house. Anyone looking to move to that area will get a brand new bargain home - they're big too

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 2:16:29 PM

Date: 7/17/2009 8:44:53 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

OMG Holly!!!!
23.gif

3.gif
When I say ''we don''t make that much here in TX'', you have to understand the economy of the region. Our standard of living isn''t in the dumpster because we make less; everything costs less. Everything. That''s why we had a lot of the dot.com and technical boom of the 1990s here; where else were they going to build their businesses (with major tax breaks) and hire cheap labor?? Certainly not in CA or on the east coast.

DH and I sit and watch HGTV and are astounded, mouth open, ''OMG!'', whenever we see people in other states buying crap for a third of a million dollars. Or more! It horrifies us.

There is much less of a difference between the haves and the have-nots in most TX towns. Because the standard of living isn''t astronomical for those with money, and not out of reach for the little guy either. (Outside of the bigger cities, anyway.) It''s why we are one of the states with the highest concentration of (non-Hispanic) immigrants. They can live very well in Texas, when compared to their former country.

And maybe that explains why I''m surprised by the sheer number of posters on PS who will buy a purse that costs thousands, and shoes for several hundred. I know what that will buy here in Texas. My rent, in a house with a lake view, is $1K/month. For some, that''s an accessory. For me, it''s a roof over my head. And a darn good one.

It''s just a difference in perspective. And location. Not a difference in values per se.
Yes, I assumed this was the case! It is so interesting to me that economic scales can vary so much within one country. I suppose it is similar in Canada, but I think there may be a little less of a wide range in cost of living.

Interesting comment about immigration. I wouldn''t have thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 1:58:20 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
Mara
them tract homes are mostly in the newer neighborhoods. there''re some nice older homes in parts of Sacto.
+1 re the nice older sacto homes.......and i mean nice and with trees.....which were always a bit elitist in the way that willow glen is in san jose.

mz

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Gross!

that would be almost free here in Vegas.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi TGal,

I share this pain. I live in Burbank and also watching the housing market. After marriage, FF wants us to move into a condo first then buy a house when the price has gone down more. I wasn''t convince on buying a condo before but now its rather move into a condo rather than renting another place after we got married. To rent a nice place, we will at least spend $1,500/mo. Right now we are not live together and he hates my landlady so it is out of the question for him to move into my place. I won''t be moving into his since he is currently living with two roommates.

Its a bidding market and it seems now it is a buyer market. Have you ever tried bidding on a house? I love to hear about that.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 5:19:11 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 7/16/2009 4:45:37 PM

Oh I don''t know that we have seen a spike, she sent me a similar article in each of the few months saying something along the same lines. Who knows what to believe what report...you can also see other articles still talking about foreclosures and low pricing in the areas. I hear we have one more round here in the BA...so who knows what that will do. It''s funny too because people who are in the market for foreclosures and ''deals'' say one thing and the rest of people (either homeowners or those who aren''t in the market) say things are rising. People''s minds skew things.

Doesn''t matter for us anyway as we are not in or on the market as we won''t be moving for a while...but my friend is. Will you guys move away if you are not able to get what you want for the right price?

Mara, we''ll rent here. Rents are coming down quite a bit as well.

I do think mindset skews things. But what I know is that jumbo loans are hard to get right now. Not too many people have a decent downpayment for a 6-700K house. There is also shadow inventory in this area which is yet to be unleashed. RE''s are STILL telling me to buy now or get priced out. They''ve been telling me that every year since 2006 and they have been wrong (in my area) for every single damn year.

I will agree with Beacon and say supply and demand is the only thing my area has going for it as well. But TONS of homes are in distress, judging by the rental listings on craigslist for my area. It''s only a matter of time that those homes will be REOs and put an even bigger ding in the market.

I won''t be priced out in the next 2-5 years just because I didn''t buy now. I''m pretty sure of it.

I am with you on this. Its another scheme that the realtor wants us to believe.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF, i could never take that CRAZY sacramento heat... driving through it just makes me melt.

ucla, we are looking at the PA area too... but we are still working on our 2-3 year plan hehee. we are kind of lazy like that. we also visited raleigh and loved it there too... the green lushness is incredible compared to our bone dry yellow CA summers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results