shape
carat
color
clarity

Long time, no see!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t been on here in FOREVER, but I''m having some e-ring, uh, issues. One of my side stones was loose and truth be told, it had always been set a little crooked.

I took it to our jeweler who I trust infinitely. She said that she would take it to the fancy diamond setter in town and would let me know. She called back and said that the seat was cut shallow and that''s why the stone slipped out. The setter thought it could easily be fixed, but that he felt the whole setting needed to be lowered so that the stones wouldn''t keep getting knocked loose. (this has been happening every 6-8 months since I got it a little more than 3 years ago) They would also round out the prongs when they lowered the setting. I''m a bit nervous about this whole thing because I feel it will change the look of my ring a lot. I went ahead and told them to do it, because it''s better to look a little different than to lose a stone, know what I mean?

Anyway, do you think I made a mistake?

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
Just a ring shot:

original.aspx

The side profile view:

500x375.aspx

Thanks!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi bethanying, welcome back to PS! Your ring is gorgeous, I hope the re-set works out for you. I don''t think lowering the setting overall will change the look of your ring THAT drastically, the profile will surely be different but other than that you should just end up with a ring that is more secure and just a little different than what you originally had. Good luck!
35.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lowering the setting should be safer and more stress-free and, as Monarch says, shouldn't change the look that much ... sort of a small price to pay for peace of mind.
2.gif

I am curious, though, why they're planning to round out the prongs: do they tend to catch a lot? Are you planning to have them lightly filed to minimize that/match the lower seat while still keeping that nifty squared-off look, or do you want them to change that detail as long as they're in there? Just curious as to whether that somehow counts as a further safety issue, or if it's purely aesthetic ....

ETA to say, BTW, your ring is lovely! V. regal. Off to see if there's a thread devoted to that beauty in SMTR ....

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Welcome back!
35.gif

Your ring is gorgeous! I had some setting/prong issues with my e-ring as well, so I am very curious to see how they manipulate yours. I don''t think any of what you mentioned will change much of the look except of course the profile, but hopefully it will also solve some of the problems you''ve been having with it.

Be sure to come back and post some pictures when you get it back!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
what are the stats on that gorgeous thing?

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the profile of the ring, it should not change to much (the overall Look I mean) you should be fine.

I have always loved your ring....one thing I would ask the jeweler is if they are planning in making the prongs different. Maybe a double prong might be helpful given your past history with the ring. Otherwise I would talk to the person who sold the ring to you FI and see if they would cover the cost since the diamond was cut shallow. Per customer satisfaction they should at least offer to pay for the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results