shape
carat
color
clarity

Long shot, but need ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

You guys are creative, so I thought I''d ask for some ideas.

We have a long driveway leading to a backyard garage. It''s in terrible shape and is rocky asphalt (as you can see from the pic below...I just copied the pic I recently posted of A''s bday). Our house is a rental, so obviously we don''t want to spend the money to repave.

Amelia has tripped and fallen twice in the last 3 days over some cracks and hurt her hands. We''d patch them up, but there are lots of them (my FIL and TGuy have already done some patchwork on the big ones). We''re thinking maybe throwing some astroturf over it (expensive) or finding a rubber mat of some kind to cover it.

I can''t think of anything else, but I''m not really handy and creative. If you have some ideas that would be cost effective, and where to get the materials, I''d love to hear it.
DSC_2343as.JPG

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
As renters, are you responsible for the grounds? Usually landlords are responsible for this sort of thing and it seems the driveway is a safety hazard and is in need of repair.

I''d write a letter/email and let the landlord know he/she needs to do something about the driveway as it has injured your daughter not once, but twice(!) and thankfully, the injury has been minor scrapes but it could be a heck of a lot worse in the future. Further, just because you or your SO, or any other adult has not fallen, does not mean you couldn''t.

While this approach seems aggressive, I think the tone of the letter can just show your concern for your family''s safety, as well as protecting the landlord from any potential responsibility.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 8:01:20 PM
Author: megumic
As renters, are you responsible for the grounds? Usually landlords are responsible for this sort of thing and it seems the driveway is a safety hazard and is in need of repair.

I''d write a letter/email and let the landlord know he/she needs to do something about the driveway as it has injured your daughter not once, but twice(!) and thankfully, the injury has been minor scrapes but it could be a heck of a lot worse in the future. Further, just because you or your SO, or any other adult has not fallen, does not mean you couldn''t.

While this approach seems aggressive, I think the tone of the letter can just show your concern for your family''s safety, as well as protecting the landlord from any potential responsibility.
Normally I would, but she made it clear when we were looking to rent that she''s not that interested in being a landlord. She''s been super responsive for any big issues we''ve had (plumbing), but this is one we saw before we moved in. I guess that''s why the rent is $1000 cheaper a month than comparable homes in the area. The rest of the home is actually in great shape. Just the driveway.

Found a cheap solution though...bought a Superyard XT on craigslist and blocked off the area between the grassy backyard and the driveway.
3.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I am glad you found a solution! I would also have taken this to the landlord.. but congrats on figuring it out :)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
TGal, might I ask how long you plan to stay in this property?

You seem to have a good relationship with your landlady. You also mention that you got the place somewhat under market value.

Whatever the legal positon of your contract, I don''t see that there is anything to be gained by taking the heavy handed approach suggested earlier in this thread. As they say in the UK, "softly, softly, catch a monkey".

I see that you have found a short term solution. That may be fine for now but if your daughter is anything like Baby Gailey used to be (still is some 27 years later), you won''t keep her inside that enclosure for long.

Coupled with that, the driveway is not going to get better. Weather and age will only make it deteriorate further. True of course, your daughter may well become more accomplished at how she transverses it, but it isn''t going to be a problem that disappears.

Might I suggest you consider a Green Driveway. Perhaps you could negotiate with your landlady for her to supply the materials and you supply some sweat equity. She gets an enhancement to her property, you get a safer environment for your daughter. Win-win.

Good luck. And BTW, your daughter is adorable!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 12:42:49 AM
Author: Gailey
TGal, might I ask how long you plan to stay in this property?

You seem to have a good relationship with your landlady. You also mention that you got the place somewhat under market value.

Whatever the legal positon of your contract, I don''t see that there is anything to be gained by taking the heavy handed approach suggested earlier in this thread. As they say in the UK, ''softly, softly, catch a monkey''.

I see that you have found a short term solution. That may be fine for now but if your daughter is anything like Baby Gailey used to be (still is some 27 years later), you won''t keep her inside that enclosure for long.

Coupled with that, the driveway is not going to get better. Weather and age will only make it deteriorate further. True of course, your daughter may well become more accomplished at how she transverses it, but it isn''t going to be a problem that disappears.

Might I suggest you consider a Green Driveway. Perhaps you could negotiate with your landlady for her to supply the materials and you supply some sweat equity. She gets an enhancement to her property, you get a safer environment for your daughter. Win-win.

Good luck. And BTW, your daughter is adorable!
Hi Gailey,

We''re figuring at least another year, but mostly likely somewhere between 2-5 years. We really like it here. I have a great relationship with the landlady...she loves us and has said to let her know if we need anything. I try to pick my battles and do odds and ends around the house ourselves. We like having pride in the house and doing little fixes to make it better. TGuy and his dad have been puttering about for the last week fixing big cracks in the pavement, adding weather stripping on the doors, straightening screen doors, etc etc.

Thanks so much for the suggestion...that is very interesting! I wouldn''t mind paying for it if it''s reasonable for the peace of mind. But I''ll check it out and see if it''s something she''d agree to.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Not sure what the proper term is for it but DH resurfaced our driveway. He bought some tubs at Home Depot and I want to say and it took him a few hours, but it is nice and smooth and good as new. As you can tell, I had zero involvement but maybe this will trigger an idea if that is an option for you or something along those lines? Yes you are not the owner but if it is something that is beneficial your landlord may buy into it. You could consider splitting the costs, but honestly I dont'' think it cost that much so might be worth it for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results