shape
carat
color
clarity

Long memory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
''scuse me, if i am a bit out of sorts, but when i read this continual criticism of iran, i just want to crush bugs. yes, bugs, i want to grab these roaches by the hair, the antannae, and whisper in their ears: how dare you.

has it really come to this?

forgive me for appearing pedantic, but just what caused an american ally to suddenly flip-flop? they were our guys, right? shah and all that. jesus, even israel was a close ally of iran. what the heck changed? how did iran suddenly turn from america''s major ally to a nation that was so anti-american that we had to aid saddam''s iraq to attack them?

what happened? why did people who were our allies suddenly go over to the dark side? in a matter of minutes.

and remember the russians. remember how they were our enemies? remember how we hated them so. remember how we were within an eyelash of vaporizing the entire continent. and remember how quickly they became our friends? ''member that? i do.

and remember libya. ''member how kadafi was so evil? ''member how we would never have anything to do with him? and how now he''s a-okay.

i''ve got a good memory. i remember how the khmer rouge were the devil, until the vietnamese invaded cambodia, then how we gave a wink and a nod and plenty of aid to the thai government, who conveniently passed it along to our avowed enemies, the khmer rouge. sweet.

i remember how the french turned over their intel networks to the us following their departure from se asia. i remember how those networks were heavily involved in drug trafficking. i remember how people like khun sa told the world that their contacts were people like ted shackley and richard armitage.

i remember the nazis. i remember how we went to war against them. in case some of you are wondering, i''m glad we did. it was, in my opinion, the good fight.

and a tough fight it was. millions in europe died, so many american soldiers. for what? i think they died for a good cause. to liberate a continent from tyrrany.

but what happened afterwards? the us was so paranoid of the communists that they crossed over to the dark side. they helped smuggle some of the worst nazis out of europe.

who? let me tell you the tale of a friend of mine, someone who grew up in bolivia. he was born of partial jewish parentage. as he walked through the streets of his town, he passed someone who the us government had helped out of europe. that man was a nortorious nazi, klaus barbie. my friend used to spit at his feet.

morality is a funny thing. them that sit all high and mighty like to lecture us down below that we simply must obey what they say. but when we take a close look at their own actions, we find something entirely different. nazis are bad, fight them, kill them. and suddenly, our so-called leaders are hiding those selfsame nazis away, smuggling them to bolivia and elsewhere.

drugs are bad, they say, but when we dig deeper, we find our own govt. agencies engaged in that traffic. and the greatest crime of all is that we are shocked, that somehow we believe that we have transcended corruption. unbelievable.

in the case of klaus barbie, the us government actually issued a rare apology to the government of france, for helping the butcher of nice escape from europe. some democracy, eh?

in the case of drug trafficking they have yet to issue an apology. give them a few decades. when those who did the crimes are dead, we can expect pithy sorrows and an incredible outpouring of tears.

it''s really high time that americans took a high-brow look at their own low government. it''s no paradise, it''s no utopia. it''s not a lot different from governments elsewhere. us pols are subject to exactly the same pressures and corruption that infects those around the world. no matter what label is applied. witness the invasion of iraq and compare it to hitler''s invasion of poland. whip up public opinion. in the case of hitler, he trotted out the idea that germans in poland were being abused; bush used the fiction that somehow iraq would attack the us. same, same. put the halos down.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2006 2:16:34 AM
Author:Richard Hughes
forgive me for appearing pedantic, but just what caused an american ally to suddenly flip-flop? they were our guys, right? shah and all that.

what happened? why did people who were our allies suddenly go over to the dark side? in a matter of minutes.

...​

and remember the russians. remember how they were our enemies? remember how we hated them so. remember how we were within an eyelash of vaporizing the entire continent. and remember how quickly they became our friends? ''member that?

You are right. American foreign policy is often incredibly short-sighted. Sometimes a tyrant (like Pinochet) looks good to the US because Standard Fruit may lose some ground under Allende...so we end up with a prisoner without a name and a cell without a number.

Osama bin Laden looks like a good adversary when we are fighting the USSR, so we make sure he has all the weapons he needs.

I was very fond of Jimmy Carter because (except for a little incursion into Iran over which Cyrus Vance resigned), his foreign policy was predicated on having allies who observed human rights. But our short-sighted brethren felt that his stand was not pragmatic!

Right. It''s more pragmatic to give weapons to people who will be your enemies next month!

Deb
34.gif

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just sum it up this way. I tell my kids, ages 25 and 21, that if they remember nothing of me when I''m dead and gone, just remember one thing I said: The world is a screwed up place and it always will be. If you expect fairness, honestly, and equality, forget it.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 5:47:36 PM
Author: AGBF

I was very fond of Jimmy Carter because his foreign policy was predicated on having allies who observed human rights. Deb
34.gif

This is absolutely false, wishful thinking regarding JC's foreign policy.

http://www.commondreams.org/views02/1018-06.htm <-------Liberal (they call it "progressive") Mag

Jimmy Carter may well be a great man, but he was a horrible President on almost every front.

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/jonahgoldberg/2002/05/15/163222.html <------ Funny article from a very Conservative website.

They both agree that Carter rarely got it right.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
At some point Iran may well be a threat. And soon at that with the hostage-taking President they have.

When they say "death to America" I believe they mean it, the kooks. We should be suspicious of them.
41.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its the same as voting for the lesser of 2 evils for president.
That got us Bush,,,,,

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
bush is the LESSER of two evils? Please define how george bring it on bush is the lesser of two evils.

icefisher

Rough_Rock
Richard you make a couple good points but I find your equating the president of the United States directly with Hitler to be highly offensive.

And Klaus Barbie was the butcher of Lyons, not Nice.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 9:46:05 AM
Author: colormyworld
bush is the LESSER of two evils? Please define how george bring it on bush is the lesser of two evils.
i''d love to hear the answer to this as well.

movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 10:44:17 AM
Author: icefisher
Richard you make a couple good points but I find your equating the president of the United States directly with Hitler to be highly offensive.
i don''t.

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results