shape
carat
color
clarity

cloudycloud

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster. Desperately need advice.

I'm in the early stages of proposal planning, my partner and I are going to Europe in July and initially wanted to propose in Como because it's different but now I'm having second thoughts because I feel Como just doesn't have the same 'wow' factor as Paris and Venice. The downside is that Venice and Paris are, for lack of a better word cliche - but that's not necessarily a bad thing...

Would you prefer your partner to propose to you in Venice or Como?

aileron

Rough_Rock
I would do some research on each city and figure out if there is something unique about one that is particularly fitting to you and your relationship. I think the key to making it as romantic as possible would be to have an articulable (non-cliche) reason why you chose one city over the other two.

Best of luck!

lothian110

Rough_Rock
Have you been to any of the three?
If you have, I would have a specific spot in mind. Summers are pretty crazy in Venice an Paris in terms or the number of tourists there.
Como probably gets busy also, but I've never been to comment personally.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Been to all many times - lived in Como for 2 years.

Como gets my vote. Paris and Venice are a bit cliched. Plus Venice is so full of tourists and pretty 'fake' - unless you're going in the middle of winter when it's lovely - and it stinks to high heaven in the summer!

Como is always gorgeous and there are so many places you could choose. Let me know the sort of proposal you are thinking of - scenic spot, a dinner, lake, mountain??? - and I'll give you some suggestions. Also what is your budget for the trip and I'll suggest some hotels etc too.

For what it's worth, my brother came to visit me out there and also did Venice etc and he said that he would choose Como for a proposal over Venice any day. In the end he chose to do it here in London, years later, but he was tempted to go back to Como.

cloudycloud

Rough_Rock
Amazing advice, thank you so much guys.

Pandora, wow it's like you read my mind. The reason I was reluctant to do it in Venice and Paris was because of the reasons you outlined.

I'm thinking of a scenic spot, my inspiration comes from Attack of the Clones and the multitude of pictures that are on google images :). I want it to be quite grand and a lot of fanfare of some sort but I'll work on the logistics, got to pick a place first!

I was looking at staying at Albergo Lenno because it's close to Villa del Balbianello unless you could recommend another suitable spot

Would love to talk to you in private if you feel comfortable, **edited by moderator. please read the forum policies regarding posting personal information**

Thanks again.

Krae11

Rough_Rock
I couldn't agree with Pandora more! Having been to all three gorgeous locales with my SO, anywhere on Lake Como would be ideal. Most special for us would actually be on Lago di Maggiore in a beautiful little town called Stresa (nearby and not very touristy at all), but that's beside the point. On Lake Como, I think taking a boat tour and popping the question near the gorgeous villa you mentioned would be lovely. Right past that one (of Star Wars and James Bond fame), there are many other outrageously beautiful sights. Our photos from a boat outing we took are some of the most gorgeous we have. We stayed in a town called Tremezzo and had friends just south in Lenno, both of which I could highly recommend. We found Bellagio quite charming as well. You can't go wrong anywhere in that area. Good job for doing it up so well! Congratulations!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I would 100% pick Como. Definitely a boat out on the lake- I'm sure you could arrange a private boat ride easily. Como is just drop-dead gorgeous!! We were there last May (with our young children so not a luxury romantic trip) and the scenery was just amazing, truly it is one of the most beautiful places. We stayed in Bellagio at the Il Borgo apartments (works better for us with the young kids) and it was very comfortable, clean and quaint and the price was excellent with a location that can't be beat.
Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results