shape
carat
color
clarity

Location of the Wedding Planner

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all,
I am finally beginning the planning for my 2012 wedding. I have arranged meetings with a few Houston area wedding planners and a few Austin area wedding planners. We are having the wedding in Austin.

I was wondering, do you ladies think there is an advantage to having a Houston vs. Austin based planner? Do you think there are disadvantages? I initially automatically assumed to get an Austin planner.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
Normally, planners have built up a relationship and report with their local vendors. They know their styles, tastes, prices, etc. Because of this relationship, they can sometimes help you cut corners and save some dough. Also, a local planner will probably know the city better logistically but it appears that you are a Longhorn so you probably already know plenty!

Are you in Houston or Austin? The only reason that I could imagine going with a Houston planner is because they would be closer to you. But you and your planner would still have to make trips to Austin...maybe even more so if they haven''t done a lot of weddings in Austin.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I am having a DW and we are definitely going with a local planner. I did contact a planner outside the local area (woman who got married there two years ago and then decided become one) and she was both expensive because she was based out of the US instead of Mexico and I felt inexperienced. There is nothing like a local who has contacts in the city you are getting married in. She already knows people and what sort of deals she can get out of them. Ergo, I prefer having a planner local to the area of the wedding.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh...yes. Excellent points! I live in Houston. I knew I would have to go to Austin anyway, which is why I thought an Austin planner would be better. I also thought that she would be closer to the vendors if she had to visit them for some reason!

I''m glad my initial thoughts about choosing a planner are confirmed. Thank you for your input.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there fellow Longhorn!
41.gif

I just wanted to comment that you're going to love your Austin wedding planner because she'll be able to stop by all your vendors on your behalf, for any last-minute things. My sister planned her Austin wedding while she and her (now husband) lived in Cali, and I think they only came back to Austin one time in their entire 15 months of planning, all thanks to her wonderful planner.

Have you started thinking about venues yet? I've been doing that for my own Austin wedding since January. Let me know if you want to bounce any ideas around! Good luck with the rest of your planning!

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 11:09:43 PM
Author: sandyandisaac
Hey there fellow Longhorn!
41.gif

I just wanted to comment that you''re going to love your Austin wedding planner because she''ll be able to stop by all your vendors on your behalf, for any last-minute things. My sister planned her Austin wedding while she and her (now husband) lived in Cali, and I think they only came back to Austin one time in their entire 15 months of planning, all thanks to her wonderful planner.

Have you started thinking about venues yet? I''ve been doing that for my own Austin wedding since January. Let me know if you want to bounce any ideas around! Good luck with the rest of your planning!

WOW! Hi. That''s pretty cool. I haven''t done a THING yet with regards to planning the wedding. The only venue that I have seen so far that seemed appealing was Allan House. I like the idea of being downtown. I''ve also thought about somewhere by Lake Travis too though. No idea. I''m concerned about logistics, if I''ll get married in a church then having to drive to the venue, etc. I want to get married in a church but...not sure how that works if I''m not a memeber.

Have you looked at any venues yet? When are you getting married? Do you know the name of your sister''s planner? I am going down next week to speak with a few.

Hook ''em!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Allan House is nice - I think my sister looked there for her wedding too. She ended up having her reception on the 7th floor of the UT Club (by the stadium), which served as their connection to UT (where both she and her husband went to school before moving to Cali). It was beautifully set up, and they have a lot of UT longhorn decorations everywhere. My sister''s church for the ceremony was in North Austin, and I think the logistics of driving 20-30 minutes to campus wasn''t a problem.

Also, if you want your reception downtown or around campus, there''s a LOT of churches on campus. University Christian Church right in front of the Littlefield fountain by Dobie Mall is non-demoninational and open to non-members. I snapped a couple of pictures when I visited it last week, if you want to see.

For my own wedding, I''ve only looked at a small handful of venues for our reception - the Renaissance Hotel was my favorite until recently. I haven''t looked at too many, since I already went with my sister to a lot of places for her wedding. We''re planning on getting married in November of next year, so we''ve still got some time.
41.gif

My sister''s planner (and now mine as well) is Abby Daigle of Barr Mansion. Too bad we can''t start a private message on this site. I''d love to email you to discuss more details.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2010 3:43:04 PM
Author: sandyandisaac
Allan House is nice - I think my sister looked there for her wedding too. She ended up having her reception on the 7th floor of the UT Club (by the stadium), which served as their connection to UT (where both she and her husband went to school before moving to Cali). It was beautifully set up, and they have a lot of UT longhorn decorations everywhere. My sister's church for the ceremony was in North Austin, and I think the logistics of driving 20-30 minutes to campus wasn't a problem.

Also, if you want your reception downtown or around campus, there's a LOT of churches on campus. University Christian Church right in front of the Littlefield fountain by Dobie Mall is non-demoninational and open to non-members. I snapped a couple of pictures when I visited it last week, if you want to see.

For my own wedding, I've only looked at a small handful of venues for our reception - the Renaissance Hotel was my favorite until recently. I haven't looked at too many, since I already went with my sister to a lot of places for her wedding. We're planning on getting married in November of next year, so we've still got some time.
41.gif

My sister's planner (and now mine as well) is Abby Daigle of Barr Mansion. Too bad we can't start a private message on this site. I'd love to email you to discuss more details.
My fiance and I went to UT as well. We'd love to have some kind of incorporation of UT into the wedding. Getting married ON campus would be awesome. I do like that church. I knew it was non-denominational but never even thought about it. I'll definitely have to check it out. I have never been inside it though. If you have pictures of the inside, I'd love to see them.

How big was her wedding, if you don't mind me asking? The reason being, the UT club sounds so cool, but it seems like it might be really ideal for a smaller (150?) wedding?

I wish we could speak privately too. Darn.

Your planner is a planner for a specific venue? That's pretty cool!

ETA: I looked up the UT Club. It seems SO great! Oh man, I'll definitely have to keep that in mind!!! Thanks for mentioning it.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Here's 2 pics that I took last week, with my non-professional camera skills. Martha from their office said that it fits about 225 people on the main floor and another 100 in the upstairs seats.

ucc_pic1.JPG

ucc_pic2.JPG

My sister's wedding ended up being 204 plus some babies. The 7th floor of the UT Club can fit like up to 500 people. The also have the 6th floor that would be more suitable for weddings smaller than 150 people. I haven't seen the 6th floor myself, but Jennifer Navarro from their office said it's not as nice as the 7th floor. How big do you think your wedding will be? Also, the only thing that you have to worry about is whether or not your proposed wedding date lands on a home football game date or not. But UT has their football schedules planned out way into the future, so they should be able to check that out for you.

Yeah, Abby works as the wedding coordinator and florist at Barr Mansion, but she can also arrange to be a wedding planner for people who aren't actually having their wedding at Barr Mansion.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
OOOOhhh...It looks good!! That would solve a lot in terms of location before the reception.

The venue sounds ideal for what I would need. I anticipate 200 at the wedding. HOPEFULLY including children. I haven't counted everything yet. Again..barrrrrrely starting. LOL. I've ONLY been engaged about 8 months! LOL!

Luckily we want to get married in March. The fall is out for a few reasons, one is picking a day that doesn't have football!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
I'll send you all the pics I took of the church and all the info I have from them. And I'll also send you pics from my sister's actual wedding at UT Club (I just don't think she'd appreciate me posting them here without her permission
27.gif
).

You know, I saw that your wedding date was in March of 2012, and it didn't register that football season would already be over (or not started yet, depending on how you look at it). That's good though, one less thing to worry about with UT Club.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Was your sister also married at the UT Club or was it just the reception?

I looked at the church''s website. It''s the first church I''ve looked at in terms of the wedding. They seem really restrictive.
20.gif
Oh well, the other possibility is being married at the reception site. That would be just as great, probably better!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
No, my sister was married in a North Austin church, where she and her husband first met.

I didn''t look into the details of UCC because I wasn''t completely sold on using that one for our ceremony. What kind of restrictions are you seeing?

Are you open to an outside ceremony at the same place as your reception? I ask, only because my sister found it hard to find places that were big enough to accommodate both a ceremony and a reception for a large 200 person wedding. Also, if you haven''t already, check out "The Mansion on Judge''s Hill" around MLK. It''s beautiful, and it might be big enough for your wedding.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Well...the things I saw MAY be typical, but...one of them was, flower girls can''t drop any petals. Not even a runner can be put on the floor.
The type of music that can be played. Only someone from there can use the organ. Not that I would need someone to use the organ and that I would want secular music played or anything, but...I feel as though I''d like the option.

It''s a nice location.

I would be open to an outside wedding at the same venue. It is definitely a factor for the venue I choose. It sucks though..I didn''t want that many people orginially, but...I got trumped by my parents.
20.gif
38.gif

Anyway...Your other suggestion is great as well. I THINK I know where that one is, but not too sure. Keep ''em coming. Thanks so much for all the information you''ve already provided!!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand what you mean about having restrictions, and wanting to have the option. Here's what I think about the flower girls dropping petals. Most places won't allow it since the petals get trampled on and stain the floors. Plus I wouldn't want to drag my dress through the petals while walking up and down the aisle, for fear of staining it too. They might allow the flower girls to drop fake flower petals though, but I'm not sure if you'd like that (not even sure I'd like that really). If you're coming to Austin next week, try to make an appointment to visit the church. Martha can send you a free parking permit to park in that paid lot right across the street from the church, so you don't have to worry about finding parking. That's also another negative about UCC, is that you'll have to secure a parking contract with the parking lot owners if you don't want your guests to have to find their own parking elsewhere, or have to pay for parking. While you're on campus, just drive around and you'll see TONS of other churches.

You might also want to check out the Texas Federation of Women's Club on San Gabriel Street. It's the beautiful mansion that you sometimes see the bride talking gorgeous pictures with her big wedding dress train, draping the front steps. I think it might come unfurnished, so you'd have to make separate arrangements to rent all the tables/chairs and hire caterers too.

Both my sister and I have had to increase out guest list due to our parents, but I think it's just as much their party as it is ours, since we are their only kids. If it were up to me and my fiance, we'd be fine just signing the papers at the courthouse. But I know that both sets of parents are really looking forward to our wedding, so we want to honor them by doing it the old-fashioned way. And this way, I get a big fancy dress!
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results