shape
carat
color
clarity

local or foreign proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nashalmaz

Rough_Rock
Any good/bad experiences with proposing on vacation?

My (future) fiance and I are going to Europe in 3 weeks and we''ll stop in some really beautiful and amazing cities.
I will have the ring about a week before we go, so I can propose before we leave, while there, or after we come back.
My main concern is traveling with the ring while trying to hide it from her. We have to go through airport security, and I certainly don''t want them to ask me to open that box... and do the proposal right in the airport. It would be memorable.. but not quite what I''m going for.
On the one hand it would be an amazing proposal.. on the other it could add a lot of extra stress to the beginning of the trip as I try to hide the ring from her.

I''ve thought of some great local alternatives, but these may not be quite as grand..

Any thoughts, personal experiences, opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Sunset_in_Cali

Rough_Rock
My bf and I are also going on a trip out of the country in 3 weeks, and he is planning on proposing there.

I think you should be fine with keeping the ring box in a carry-on bag. The chances of something happening are very, very slim.

Congrats on your soon-to-be engagement! Let us know what you decide on!

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! I hate to be the party-pooper, but don''t forget insurance before you go if you take it with you
5.gif

Not sure where you''re going in Europe but I was in Paris a few years ago and bunch of youngsters were trying to pick our pocket but fortunately didn''t succeed.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Do it before you go! Then it can turn the whole trip into a romantic trip to celebrate the proposal.

You could pretend like you forgot something while you were packing, and then propose an hour or two before you head out to the airport. Or maybe the night before (if she''s a stressed out traveler). Something like, "Hmmm, honey, I think I forgot something. Suitcase...wallet...passport...girlfriend...oh yeah! *drops to one knee and says a bunch of sweet stuff* Will you marry me?" She says, "Yes, of course, I love you, yay!" and you say, "Fiancee. Check!"
2.gif

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Make sure you insure the ring and go through all the foreign customs procedures to avoid having to take it out at the airport. I think doing it in a romantic, foreign setting is great. That way, when everyone asks how you popped the question, she will say "We went to... (enter romantic setting)" and she will be happy when all her friends ooh and aaah over how romantic you are.
We girls love that stuff. :)

nashalmaz

Rough_Rock
I haven''t decided on either option.. but at least I have the diamond in my possession.

I''m planning for a couple possible places on our trip as well as some things to do nearby.

The current weather on the east coast (non stop rain for a week) is making me rethink some of my plans as they all have an outdoor component. Taking a nice walk to a secluded romantic spot doesn''t work quite as well when theres a thunderstorm.

The main benefits of the local proposal would be that its earlier (before the trip), makes the trip that much more romantic (almost like a post-engagement honeymoon) and I have a lot more options since I know the area.
Of course proposing in beautiful gardens overlooking an old European city is always a good option. One of the main benefits is that we have more time to kind of celebrate the engagement and enjoy the moment with no one else that we know for 1000 miles.
If its done locally.. 2 minutes later theres the urge to call all parents, siblings, friends.. post a picture etc, which isn''t bad, just different...

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
D took our ring with him when he was going to propose and it was fine on the flights and going through security. Which European countries are you visiting? I''m in Ireland so if you need are visiting here let me know and I can give you some ideas of places to visit.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 10:53:36 AM
Author: princesss
Do it before you go! Then it can turn the whole trip into a romantic trip to celebrate the proposal.

You could pretend like you forgot something while you were packing, and then propose an hour or two before you head out to the airport. Or maybe the night before (if she''s a stressed out traveler). Something like, ''Hmmm, honey, I think I forgot something. Suitcase...wallet...passport...girlfriend...oh yeah! *drops to one knee and says a bunch of sweet stuff* Will you marry me?'' She says, ''Yes, of course, I love you, yay!'' and you say, ''Fiancee. Check!''
2.gif
I like princess’s idea. Being engaged for the trip will make it all the more special.
36.gif

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 4:28:37 PM
Author: 16ocean

Date: 5/2/2009 10:53:36 AM
Author: princesss

You could pretend like you forgot something while you were packing, and then propose an hour or two before you head out to the airport. Or maybe the night before (if she''s a stressed out traveler). Something like, ''Hmmm, honey, I think I forgot something. Suitcase...wallet...passport...girlfriend...oh yeah! *drops to one knee and says a bunch of sweet stuff* Will you marry me?'' She says, ''Yes, of course, I love you, yay!'' and you say, ''Fiancee. Check!''
2.gif
I like princess’s idea. Being engaged for the trip will make it all the more special.
36.gif
I gotta say, I too, thought princess''s idea was adorable. Get all cozy the night before you leave, sounds super sweet and romantic to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results