shape
carat
color
clarity

Liz Taylor's Jewels Undervalued?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
So I just read that Christies Auction house has given auction estimates for Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry Auction in December.Is it me or do you think that the assigned estimates are low.Her famous 33.19 carat asscher cut diamond now called by the press the Elizabeth Taylor diamond has only a 2.5-3.5 million dollar est.!Ive seen smaller diamonds with like clarity and color at auction given higher estimates!The famous La Peregrina pearl necklace by Cartier has a 2-3 million dollar est.! And the Taj Mahal diamond necklace with a 300-500,000 estimate!We know that these pieces will go for many times their actual value much like the jewelry at the Winsor or Kennedy auctions,but these low estimate seem odd to me. I could see these pieces going for 3 times their estimates.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree.
I suspect they intentionally estimate low so when it reaches where they know it will reach they will get more free press coverage.

Oh, and I'll take that 33 ct Krupp please.
I'll have my people call your people.

krupp.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I fully agree the estimates are super low...
I imagine as Christies are planning a huge "open to the public" exposure for the event consisting well over 200 pieces they are hoping for a wide general audience..., high prices scare audiences.
But rest assure, I believe the gems mentioned above will attract fierce bidding by hungry seasoned connoisseurs.

I even think I remember reading estimates of the collection expected to be valued at over $150 Mil.

Will definitely be an event... 8-)

ETA: The Taj at $300 - 500k? I wish! I would rather own this magnificent Historic Gem set by Cartier than most other $300k+ investments.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree that the estimates are low, but I'm not worried about Elizabeth Taylor's jewels garnering higher prices-surely the must. This is one of the most hyped sales to date. I imagine final bidding will be a bit dramatic. La Pérégrina? The Taj Mahal? ...Geez even the Ping Pong rings! Can't wait to see the results. :naughty:

And yes, the first estimate was $150 million-that was released when Christie's first confirmed the sale back in April.
It's fitting for her jewels to go on a world tour, especially as proceeds will go to The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation. I'll be visiting my local exhibition.

Jewel details from Christie's (pdf)

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have her book and love it. Where is the Taylor-Burton diamond?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I've noticed estimates at several jewelry auctions very low in the last year or two. I think the plan is that then the house can trumpet, "XXX auction realizes 5 times estimates!!!" Good p.r.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't see a single fancy colored diamond. ;(
The girl just had NO standards.

snob.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I am a Christie's auction stalker, and their estimates are always low, to attract bidders.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1315441847|3012161 said:
Those are just the highlights. I recall from her book that she owned a yellow diamond suite and also had brown diamond pieces, which I expect should make the sale.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1315441847|3012161 said:
when Liz and i had lunch a while back i asked her about that and she said she could never keep up with you Kenny and so why try!? 8-) Actually you will really enjoy seeing her yellow diamonds from Eddy Fisher and her Cinnamon colored pear shaped diamonds!She once owned a 10 carat fancy pink brilliant cut but sold it to fund a hospital in Africa.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha.

Hey if a brown is small enough perhaps I'd bid.
In the inevitable global bidding war I'm sure I'd not win, but maybe I could place one of the early bids.
Then again Christie's would probably look at my piddley bank account, laugh their heads off, call me a silly wannabe and hang up on me.
I doubt they'd even talk to someone unless they had reeeeeeeeal money.

I'll bet by the time bidding ends you'd be paying 10 times Lebish's price just for provenance with that Liz pedigree. :naughty:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know about prices but this sure would be awesome to go see in person! :D

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy123|1315497204|3012745 said:
I don't know about prices but this sure would be awesome to go see in person! :D

Yep! :) They're coming to New York! I can't wait! Too bad she sold her awesome Taylor-Burton pear diamond awhile back - that necklace was a stunner.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see them! I already mentioned it to DH! New york in December we go!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results