shape
carat
color
clarity

LIW...would you say YES if ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
your bf proposed to you without an E-ring?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, but I''d wonder what happened to the one he''s putting together right now.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
No ring= not ready.
face12.gif

Sunshinegirl77

Rough_Rock
I pretty much already did, even though there is no formal annoucement until the ring arrives and is given . It would really depend on the reason why. Is he just being cheap? Does he have no clue as to what you want in a ring, and wants your input? Just some things to consider.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Yes, he knows better than to pick something out w/o my input.

1) dont want him to get ripped off.
2) dont want him to get persuaded into buying something else... i have a particular design in mind, and not many jewelers like making it (ie, are able to make it right).
3) dont want him to get ripped off. did i mention i dont want him to get ripped off?

An engagement pendant would be nice tho... closer to the heart. more personal! :)

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
of course... but kind of silly to be asking ladies on a jewelry website, isn''t it?

In my case, the reason I found this website was for the jewelry, and I love jewelry, and my BF knows this. I think if you were to ask this on another forum that didn''t have to do with jewelry, you might get a more varied response.

I am getting a ring though, and I feel lucky!
36.gif

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
I did!

We chose a small claddagh ring (DH is Irish) as a placeholder a week or so later while the ring was researched and designed. Also, for us, we chose to not "advertise" our engagement right away as we wanted his sons to have that much more time to get used to us being together.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 7:50:21 PM
Author: ForteKitty
Yes, he knows better than to pick something out w/o my input.

1) dont want him to get ripped off.
2) dont want him to get persuaded into buying something else... i have a particular design in mind, and not many jewelers like making it (ie, are able to make it right).
3) dont want him to get ripped off. did i mention i dont want him to get ripped off?

An engagement pendant would be nice tho... closer to the heart. more personal! :)
6.gif
FK ...where have you been hiding?

a hot looking gal like you still not married?
31.gif

CristinaRuns26.2

Rough_Rock
I don''t care if it''s a simple band or a 5-carat solitaire (
30.gif
), I would preferably like there to be some sort of ring when I''m proposed to.

However, that being said, if the ring was being made, if we were choosing it together and waiting on it, or I knew exactly what the status of said ring is, then I would say yes. If DBF was still saving up for the ring, or there is some other reason why his ducks are not all in a row, I would want to wait until everything is just right for the proposal.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
didn''t you ask this once before?

of course. as long as marriage was already discussed and financial/planning issues proved otherwise able to.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a LIW, but sure I would.

A proposal of marriage (and the undying declaration of love that better come with it) have nothing to do with a ring. Assuming I was willing to marry the guy I would either ask him for a ring, or buy my own (if he was financially challenged).

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:00:52 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
6.gif
FK ...where have you been hiding?

a hot looking gal like you still not married?
31.gif
commitment/kids/raising kids scare the crap outta me, what can i say? maybe in 5 years when i grow up a bit...
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a LIW anymore, but if hubs had proposed sans ring, I would have said yes without even thinking about it! It would have occurred to me after, though... but I would wait (a reasonable amount of time, probably a month or so) for him to mention it rather than asking him about it immediately.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 7:43:52 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Yes, but I''d wonder what happened to the one he''s putting together right now.
elle
don''t get him pissed now cuz he might return it.
9.gif

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:04:11 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I'm not a LIW, but sure I would.

A proposal of marriage (and the undying declaration of love that better come with it) have nothing to do with a ring. Assuming I was willing to marry the guy I would either ask him for a ring, or buy my own (if he was financially challenged).
Huge ditto to PP. I would definitely accept a proposal without an e-ring.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock

ditto. if all that was important to me was a ring, i''d save my money and buy myself one, i wouldn''t need a guy to do that for me.

sure a ring is nice, it''s a pretty visible symbol of his commitment, and something i''d enthusiastically show all of my family and friends as an excuse to talk about my wonderful guy, but what really matters to me is how much he loves me and that he would ask me with all his heart to spend the rest of my life with him, and nothing that glitters could ever come close to matching the feeling i''d get from hearing him say those words.

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:31:58 PM
Author: Patiently_Waiting

Agreed! I''d say yes if he tied a string around my finger. A proposal is about marriage, not the accepting of jewelery. That being said... I wouldn''t turn down a big fancy ring, lol!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, of course. But then we''d go shopping for a ring because I know he can afford it.
12.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 9:10:37 PM
Author: lucyandroger
Yes, of course. But then we''d go shopping for a ring because I know he can afford it.
12.gif
11.gif
Ditto.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I did.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Totally. I''m saying yes to the man, not the ring.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 8:31:58 PM
Author: Patiently_Waiting

better tell your bf now before he waste the money on a E-ring.
9.gif

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Probably not. He knows what I want and I know he can afford it.

Edit: this is obviously specific to our circumstances.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
yes, I actually WANT him too.

I want to pick out my e-ring, I''m super picky, all he has to do is give me the budget and when he is ready. I know it''s a big purchase and I want him to propose when he is emotionally ready, I can wait awhile to get the ring, when we get the money, settle on a budget, and pick it out. So if he proposed to me with a ring it would mean he wasn''t listening to me. I''d still say yes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 9:46:17 PM
Author: suchende
Probably not. He knows what I want and I know he can afford it.

Edit: this is obviously specific to our circumstances.
ha,ha...love your honesty.
9.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I said yes to a bread tie.

stephinextremis

Rough_Rock
I said yes without a ring to my former husband as well as my current one.

Former husband said, "I''m not dumb enough to try to pick something out myself...you do it!" That was fine with me, and he later said he''d never have guessed what I wanted based on the e-ring I ended up with.

Second, current husband was a bit different...seeing as we said we''d marry each other on the second date, there was no official proposal. But there was that amazing feeling of KNOWING he was the right one right away, which to me is more important than any piece of jewelry! Early on, he bought similar half-eternity bands as "commitment" rings for us. I told him I''d be happy with that as an engagement/wedding ring. Shoot, I''d have married him with a twist tie or a ring pop. He''s perfect for me and I wouldn''t give that up over a ring, or lack thereof! However, a month or so later we were out at Jared (don''t hate!) looking at jewelry for fun...and I ended up with my solitaire, which we both love.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 12:03:50 AM
Author: stephinextremis
Shoot, I''d have married him with a twist tie or a ring pop.

whoohoo, now i can show FF that i''m not the only one who would take a ring pop! (i ended up getting one for christmas as a joke)

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Another non-LIW chiming in--I would have absolutely said yes if FI had proposed without an e-ring, but he is the type of guy who never, ever would. If he had, for some reason, I would have happily accepted, assuming we would figure out the e-ring out together. If his finances didn''t allow for one, I would have bought one myself.

However, a wedding band, to me, is a must-have for the marriage ceremony. It is an important part of the religious marriage ceremony I will have, and I expect both of us to wear our wedding bands throughout our lives. A simple plain silver band would do just fine if we were really struggling financially, but we could not get married without the bands (we''d just have to wait a bit ''til we could buy those silver ones!). Just to further clarify my perspective, we did almost a year''s worth of marriage preparation, and I would not get married without that, either. (Clearly, if we were living in wartime or some equally dire situation, I might have to amend some of my requirements.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results