shape
carat
color
clarity

LIW Eyeing a New Setting (Danhov) - Thoughts?

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies,

As I wait for my turn to become engaged... I continue to browse and look at different settings as I'm sure many of you do too. My current #1 and top preference is the Vatche U113 - classic tiffany setting. However, I tried a Danhov setting on recently and couldn't stop marveling at how different, unique, and really cool it looked! The issue is that this isn't anything close to what I originally thought I wanted. The band is paved and it's also on the thicker end. I still intend on wearing a half eternity band of some sort with my e-ring... which then worries me that it would clash to much. I worry that I might love this setting now, but not forever. And then I worry that I might love the Vatche now... but then get bored with it! Oh the dilemma... . :halo:

What are your thoughts, ladies? Below are the links of the two Danhov settings I'm eyeing.

Paved Version (2.6mm Tapers Up to 3.7mm): http://www.danhov.com/engagement/danhov-classico-knife-edge-engagement-ring-cl147.html

Non-Paved Version (2.4 Tapers Up to 3.3mm): http://www.danhov.com/engagement/danhov-classico-knife-edge-engagement-ring-cl123.html

Photos from Pricescope Users:

Portia's with matching Paved Knife Edge Wedding Band: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wedding-set-and-dhwedding-band.53375/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wedding-set-and-dhwedding-band.53375/[/URL]

GoldenStar: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-gog-stone-and-james-allen-danhov-setting.61566/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-gog-stone-and-james-allen-danhov-setting.61566/[/URL]

564154_10152144613595085_1911886896_n.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Uh I love the Danhov setting!! Both the pave and non-pave version so I am of no help to you lol. Personally I like the pave a bit more, but the non-pave will give you a similar more classic feel that you would get with the Vatche U113. Is your lifestyle/work conducive to a pave setting like that one though?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like them both equally!!

wouldn't it be amazing if you could have the plain one but with pave on the band around the diamond? (is that called a basket, even tho there is no 'basket'? is it a 'strut'?) no idea the name of that band piece but that's what I'd wish for - kind of a cross between the 2 settings.

Beautiful choices!

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on your lifestyle and the size of the diamond I think.

Okay I might be the only one, but I prefer the Vatche. I think it suits any size diamond and I like the ability to wear it with a plain band or pair it with a 1/2 eternity for some extra sparkle. If I was able to get a prong-set solitaire, I would heavily consider that setting. I really love plain shanks and delicate, dainty settings that really showcase the diamond. I also love the classic-ness of the Vatche. You might think you'll be bored of it, but it will never go 'out of style'.

That said, the Danhov setting is really unique. If you still wanna be 'classic', but at the same time have something really different (in a good way, of course!), I think that's a really good choice. I'd pick the version without the pave myself. I find if you have a more substantial diamond, pave shanks can be a bit overkill. Just my personal opinion. :)) Like I said above, really depends on your style/life/work, etc.

alma123

Rough_Rock
I agree with lin_ny, the Danhov setting may look nice but how about when paired with a wedding band? The classic solitaire/eternity look is still my fave. Also, I'm not crazy about the profile of the Danhov setting.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
It's actually the profile of that setting that I love so much and what got me hooked on it. :bigsmile:

I ended up finding a jeweler in the city that carries most of the Danhov settings and I think I'm going to swing by later this week to take a look at a few of them and try them on. Super excited about seeing them in person!!! :appl: I hope the width of the band doesn't bother me too much because I really love the side profile.... just wish it was a wee bit thinner.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you could ask when you are trying them on, if the band could be made thinner, or if not, could it be polished/filed post cast, to a thinner width? Worth asking, anyway!

Very exciting week ahead - hope you love it as much in person as you do in pictures and I think its VERY wise to check them out on your hand first.

Good luck!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
oh my dog-- that's a lovely setting. I actually prefer the non-pave version. The profile is just fabulous-- seriously, it almost makes me want an RB. Almost.

Love love love love looooooooove it. :love:

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
maple2012|1361166608|3382935 said:
It's actually the profile of that setting that I love so much and what got me hooked on it. :bigsmile:

I ended up finding a jeweler in the city that carries most of the Danhov settings and I think I'm going to swing by later this week to take a look at a few of them and try them on. Super excited about seeing them in person!!! :appl: I hope the width of the band doesn't bother me too much because I really love the side profile.... just wish it was a wee bit thinner.
You should take pics for sure!!! :appl:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo, fun! TAKE PICTURES! 8-)

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Update ladies... I showed SO the setting and he didn't like it. :(( He also told me that he prefers a cathedral setting (even over the Tiffany Solitaire I have been eyeing)... and I would like him to be somewhat onboard on the setting we pick... so I am giving up on the Danhov for now.

So I'm back to looking at different Tiffany style solitaires and Cathedral settings (with and without pave). Haha.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results