shape
carat
color
clarity

LIW #98 New Here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all! I have been lurking here for a few weeks and thought it was time I join in on the fun! I have been with my bf for almost 3 years. I am halfway through my third year of college as an education major. He finished school last spring and has had a full time job since. We have talked about getting married for well over a year now, but it was mostly things like "we want to get married in the future." For the past few months, it has been much more serious and he even took me ring shopping!
9.gif
Yay!! It was a lot of fun and really got us both excited to be starting this new chapter in our lives together. I''m expecting a proposal sometime next year, probably in the spring. He has mentioned to me that he plans to use his tax refund to help fund the ring. So, once that comes in, I know I will be squealing with excitement and anticipation.

But I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!!!
9.gif

fuzzers

Shiny_Rock
Welcome, Mayflowers!
35.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!!! I hope your stay on the list is short and sweet!
35.gif

DiamondCat

Shiny_Rock
Hi!
35.gif
Hope your stay on the list is short! What kind of rings do you like?

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to LIW!!!!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Mayflowers, I'm glad you're here!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!
35.gif
So did you settle on a type of ring you''d like? We''d love to hear about it!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for making me welcome!

I haven't really decided on a ring yet. We went to Shane Company and they had so many different settings. I was really satisfied, for the most part, with our experience there. That is where we plan to purchase the ring. I did fall in love with one setting that is a cathedral solitaire setting. The band contours around the prongs (see picture). The band is a little thick for my tastes, especially in the yellow gold. It felt like a lot of yellow. I liked it in white gold, but FF wants a yellow gold wedding band and I prefer that we match.

After visiting all the boards on Pricescope, I'm starting to wonder how a halo would look around a round solitaire as well. I love classic solitaires, but also love lots of sparkle on my ring. After seeing all these different settings, I really just don't have a clue yet. If money was no object, I would probably get about 10 completely different rings to suit my different moods.
3.gif
However, he is not planning on proposing with the ring. We already discussed that because of my ever changing tastes, we will go shopping for it after the proposal.

I uploaded a picture. Hope it works!

(edited for spelling. oops!)

41010667_DR_A2.jpeg

DiamondCat

Shiny_Rock
It''s a very elegant setting, I like the fact that the side of the diamond will be totally exposed
30.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful setting! I happen to love yellow gold. You should do a search on here for Shane Co. though. There have been some really bad reviews on here...it''s always good to be aware.

Also do some research on the forums about diamonds. Since you get to pick out your ring, you should be as educated as possible!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 6:25:48 PM
Author: lucyandroger
What a beautiful setting! I happen to love yellow gold. You should do a search on here for Shane Co. though. There have been some really bad reviews on here...it''s always good to be aware.

Also do some research on the forums about diamonds. Since you get to pick out your ring, you should be as educated as possible!

Thanks! I will definitely do a search on here for Shane Co! I have heard good things about them. My FF''s sister got to pick out her engagement ring there and had nothing but good things to say. But, I don''t know how much research she did on her own time about settings, diamonds, etc. And I have definitely been doing tons of research on diamonds for a while now. I love this site because I feel like I''m constantly learning new things about diamonds, which will help make picking it out easier!

I actually posted in RockyTalky asking for opinions on this setting because I am concerned that the yellow gold may make the diamond appear more yellow. What do you all think?

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!
1.gif

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Your situation sounds VERY similar to mine. (The tax refund idea and all...) I am new here also. Glad to know I''m not the only one.
1.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, MayFlowers! And like you and ChloeTheGreat, my boyfriend will be using his tax refund to help pay for my ring.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Mayflowers
35.gif
hope you have a pleasant and brief stay on the list
21.gif

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2009 10:27:43 AM
Author: MayFlowers
Thanks everyone for making me welcome!

I haven''t really decided on a ring yet. We went to Shane Company and they had so many different settings. I was really satisfied, for the most part, with our experience there. That is where we plan to purchase the ring. I did fall in love with one setting that is a cathedral solitaire setting. The band contours around the prongs (see picture). The band is a little thick for my tastes, especially in the yellow gold. It felt like a lot of yellow. I liked it in white gold, but FF wants a yellow gold wedding band and I prefer that we match.

After visiting all the boards on Pricescope, I''m starting to wonder how a halo would look around a round solitaire as well. I love classic solitaires, but also love lots of sparkle on my ring. After seeing all these different settings, I really just don''t have a clue yet. If money was no object, I would probably get about 10 completely different rings to suit my different moods.
3.gif
However, he is not planning on proposing with the ring. We already discussed that because of my ever changing tastes, we will go shopping for it after the proposal.

I uploaded a picture. Hope it works!

(edited for spelling. oops!)
Ha, ha - if only. I''d have 7 different rings - one for every day of the week
9.gif

Happy ring shopping. I''d definitely try differend settings as I originally chose a split shank with pave diamonds but ended up disliking it and changing it for a solitaire (which incidentally is similar to the one in your picture)

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 6:48:10 PM
Author: Londongirl1
Ha, ha - if only. I''d have 7 different rings - one for every day of the week
9.gif

Happy ring shopping. I''d definitely try differend settings as I originally chose a split shank with pave diamonds but ended up disliking it and changing it for a solitaire (which incidentally is similar to the one in your picture)
Here''s a profile pic of my ring to give you an idea of what it looks like in White Gold

Copy of IMG_0724.JPG

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I love that setting! How wide is the shank? In your avatar it doesn''t look like it is very thick. That is the only thing I don''t like about the setting I posted earlier. The shank on it is really just too thick. I like having a ring that feels substantial, but I don''t want it to be overpowering. I thought that Shane Co. might shave down the width to make it a little thinner, but I called them a few days ago and they said that they couldn''t with that particular setting. I have narrowed down my choices to either a solitaire or a setting with very small diamond accents. I love the sparkle and shimmer of side stones, but I prefer them to be very small so that they don''t take attention away from my center diamond. So the search continues!

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 9:56:54 AM
Author: MayFlowers
I love that setting! How wide is the shank? In your avatar it doesn't look like it is very thick. That is the only thing I don't like about the setting I posted earlier. The shank on it is really just too thick. I like having a ring that feels substantial, but I don't want it to be overpowering. I thought that Shane Co. might shave down the width to make it a little thinner, but I called them a few days ago and they said that they couldn't with that particular setting. I have narrowed down my choices to either a solitaire or a setting with very small diamond accents. I love the sparkle and shimmer of side stones, but I prefer them to be very small so that they don't take attention away from my center diamond. So the search continues!
The bottom is 3mm and it tapers up to about 1mm. I know exactly what you mean because I didn't want a thick shank either so, in the end, I had my setting custom made. I agree about the side stones too - that was the problem with my original setting. The side stones overwhelmed my centre stone. To me there was no point in having a gorgeous diamond that was overshadowed by all those small stones.

Keep us informed on your search
2.gif

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Welcome. Good luck with your ring search. A simple solitaire like that would be very classy. A friend of mine just got engaged with a very similar ring last week.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!
35.gif
May your stay in LIW be short and sweet!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results