Live Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I KNEW IT!!!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What just happened? I just wasted an entire freaking day watching this!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Flake did both -- supported moving Kav forward and recommended pause for FBI investigation. Threatened to withhold his vote unless there is an FBI investigation.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is Flake going to retire as Gene Hackman or Denzel Washington?

Warning *language* but this scene sums up this situation IMO.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An investigation should have been done in July if Dianne Feinstein and the Dems. wasn't playing games.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you saying the republicans don't want spectacles? Ding dong 11 hours of torture of Hillary Clinton by zealots who believe SATAN himself is a good guy compared to her..It's only partisan Red when it's your/rhetorical your that is. I have never seen such a disgusting performance as I saw by the conservatives/republicans of the public lynching of Clinton, but hey that 'our' side.

And let's remember that she maintained her composure the whole time.

Paigeag800

Rough_Rock
I can’t believe anyone would want Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court after his display yesterday, he acted entitled, evasive, and disrespectful. What Flake did was hard and I commend him for it, I hope he holds true and votes No if the FBI investigation isn’t done.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An investigation should have been done in July if Dianne Feinstein and the Dems. wasn't playing games.
If it happens it should be as Flake suggested - limited in scope to these allegations and limited in time. If the Dems do not hold to that then they are exposed for what they are.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t believe anyone would want Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court after his display yesterday, he acted entitled, evasive, and disrespectful. What Flake did was hard and I commend him for it, I hope he holds true and votes No if the FBI investigation isn’t done.
Kavanaugh acted like a petulant teenager. It's very easy to see what he must have been like as a young adult when he didn't get his way.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could they @Matata ? how do you know this? We had Judge Garland waiting in the wings for years now. I don't know how you can know this unless you have a pointer I've never read that the republicans asked for ANY democratic help, they did not reach over and try to work together, they rubber stamped Trumps pick.

Why is it the democratic party's job to raise the bar? It's the republicans who nominate. How do we even know if democrats offered a name? you think Trump would have accepted ANY nominee from a democrat? I gotta bridge for ya.

What are you saying here: "I understand that the dems had to idea in the beginning when they refused to consider kav that they would be handed credible ammunition to discredit him. " When did the democrats say they refused to to consider Kavanaugh? Do you mean the phone call? If so then why should they? They already had all the information they thought should be enough to open an investigation by the FBI. I don't know exactly where you are getting your informaton. So let me get this right: you think if the democrats played it the way the republicans wanted that the republicans would have given more creedence to Ford's allegations? Gosh I'm incredulous Matata.. Let me ask you this: Who started the TIT and who was the TAT? I don't know how the heck you think the republicans would rise up to meet the democrats when they have the majority? they have no incentive to rise anyway, as a matter of fact sinking is their modus operandi. If you are saying that the democrats had 'credible ammunition' in he beginning I would like to see a report, site, listing of that. Thanks.

Dems could have worked to ensure that a decent nominee was selected instead of immediately refusing to support reps choice. Dems blew it. I think if they had attempted to set the bar higher, perhaps the reps would have given more credence to Ford's allegations. I understand that the dems had to idea in the beginning when they refused to consider kav that they would be handed credible ammunition to discredit him. It just goes to show that lowering yourself to the level they did has unintended consequences. We will get nowhere if we continue to play tit or tat. I would like to see the dems refuse to meet the low bar and force the reps to rise to a higher bar.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feinstein got the letter on 7/30.. I mean how many days were left in July? 1. Why do you think that Feinstein was just going to hand over a letter that she didn't have any background information on, who the woman was AND the woman asked to be anonymous. Man Red, if she played it your way then the woman may have gone into immediate freeze, she was scared. If I were Feinstein I would have done some deeep deep background check on Dr Ford before turning over a letter that could ruin a reputation of one of the best right wing judges out there.. She had to at least vet the letter and corroborate. She turned the letter in on 9/13.. if you think she sat on the letter for a 6 weeks to cause a brouhaha maybe but maybe she was checking it out, talking with Ford, and she didn't need to share with the committee until it was credible. The arms of the government are slow.

If it happens it should be as Flake suggested - limited in scope to these allegations and limited in time. If the Dems do not hold to that then they are exposed for what they are.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feinstein got the letter on 7/30.. I mean how many days were left in July? 1. Why do you think that Feinstein was just going to hand over a letter that she didn't have any background information on, who the woman was AND the woman asked to be anonymous. Man Red, if she played it your way then the woman may have gone into immediate freeze, she was scared. If I were Feinstein I would have done some deeep deep background check on Dr Ford before turning over a letter that could ruin a reputation of one of the best right wing judges out there.. She had to at least vet the letter and corroborate. She turned the letter in on 9/13.. if you think she sat on the letter for a 6 weeks to cause a brouhaha maybe but maybe she was checking it out, talking with Ford, and she didn't need to share with the committee until it was credible. The arms of the government are slow.
Because that is how the process works, the committee investigates the allegations in private with their own professional investigators. It was the same with the Whitehouse letter brought to Graham about the boat in RI. Like Klobuchar just explained today about the information they get that we never hear about to protect accuser and accused. I think Klobuchar and Coons are quite embarrassed by their side's handling of this.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tekate, I was referring to behavior primarily. I reject your opinion that if one side acts like *******s, the other side should do so also and that that kind of behavior is ok and will somehow produce good results. Please elaborate for me why you think 2 wrongs make a right but let me honest and tell you now that I won't engage in a debate with you about this because I think you're not able, at the moment, to keep an open mind.

Paigeag800

Rough_Rock
GOP agreed to one week delay for FBI investigation. Thank you Mr. Flake.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you imagine what the reaction would have been if Dr. Ford had come out angry, belligerent and a mess the way Kavanaugh did? I do not think Kavanaugh has the temperment to be a Supreme Court judge after his 45 minute speech?

My guess is Collins will vote for Kavanaugh.

That's what I think as well. Collin usually spends a long time either being or playing "undecided" before finally voting party line. Voting not to repeal ACA was necessary because not only did she have massive pressure from her constituents but the repeal would have seriously hurt many Mainers. Voters would have remembered her betrayal at the ballot box. An SJC pick is different - only politically inclined people are paying attention.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will trump let the senate decide like he said he would? He changes his mind more than his underwear. I will be shocked if he allows the FBI to investigate.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can reject but it does not mean either side will do it Matata that is how politicians act. We all saw Michelle Obama say when they go low we go high, but I have NEVER EVER heard a republican say, imply or suggest this. You sound as though you think Democrats should not do their best to serve those that elected them. One cannot say the Trump serves the majority who voted against him.. our system is set up for winner take all. So reject all you want but I think sitting down together and both sides agreeing to meet in the middle is a better way of trying to get back to an American government that is for the people. It's not that I think necessarily that two wrongs make a right because I don't, but what I do think is the group that did the wrong should do ITS best to do a right first, it shows they have risen above their previous bad behavior.

I have a total open mind, BUT I also believe in facts Matata. I have asked you several questions that you have not answered yet so before you think I don't have an open mind to your views it would be a good start if you answer my questions because according to what I have read in your posts you think democrats ALREADY knew/had info on Kavanaugh which I don't think is true. Republicans would not release a lot of information ON Kavanaugh's work for Bush.

@Tekate, I was referring to behavior primarily. I reject your opinion that if one side acts like *******s, the other side should do so also and that that kind of behavior is ok and will somehow produce good results. Please elaborate for me why you think 2 wrongs make a right but let me honest and tell you now that I won't engage in a debate with you about this because I think you're not able, at the moment, to keep an open mind.

Last edited:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
  • Will trump let the senate decide like he said he would? He changes his mind more than his underwear. I will be shocked if he allows the FBI to investigate.

Ugh, did you really have to go there? Since you made this awful image appear in my mind, I'm going to put it in this post.

trump underwear.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Redwood Ford ASKED Feinstein to not share her name, don't you think that would make a huge quandry with republicans? Why do you think Klobuchar is embarrassed by her party? I certainly haven't read anything like that. Refresh my memory on Graham, boat and the white house..?? I don't remember that and may have keywords that I missed. T/Y :) Why do you think Coons is embarrassed about his party? We know Flake is. We must be reading totally different sites because I missed anything about Klobuchar and the 'we never hear about" statement either.. ??

http://time.com/5409176/kavanaugh-apologizes-senator-klobuchar-black-out-drunk/

Because that is how the process works, the committee investigates the allegations in private with their own professional investigators. It was the same with the Whitehouse letter brought to Graham about the boat in RI. Like Klobuchar just explained today about the information they get that we never hear about to protect accuser and accused. I think Klobuchar and Coons are quite embarrassed by their side's handling of this.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Interesting logic...and if they do hold to that does that mean that they will continue to successfully hide what they are? Or does it mean they are not what they are. And is it Dems specifically that allow investigations to go beyond scope and without time limits? Repubs never do that? Or by "Dems" did you mean politicians in general?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Redwood Ford ASKED Feinstein to not share her name, don't you think that would make a huge quandry with republicans? Why do you think Klobuchar is embarrassed by her party? I certainly haven't read anything like that. Refresh my memory on Graham, boat and the white house..?? I don't remember that and may have keywords that I missed. T/Y :) Why do you think Coons is embarrassed about his party? We know Flake is. We must be reading totally different sites because I missed anything about Klobuchar and the 'we never hear about" statement either.. ??

http://time.com/5409176/kavanaugh-apologizes-senator-klobuchar-black-out-drunk/

The looks on both of their faces and both saying they wished they had known about the allegations earlier during their statements before the vote this morning. Klobuchar explained that their committee gets information all the time that they investigate and we, the public, never hear about them, they are investigated confidentially to protect accuser and accused.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting logic...and if they do hold to that does that mean that they will continue to successfully hide what they are? Or does it mean they are not what they are. And is it Dems specifically that allow investigations to go beyond scope and without time limits? Repubs never do that? Or by "Dems" did you mean politicians in general?
If they agree to this one week and then come back with "we need more time." Because it is a delay tactic.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they agree to this one week and then come back with "we need more time." Because it is a delay tactic.

If it takes a month for the FBI to do a thorough investigation how is that a big deal? This is a lifetime position we are talking about. I realize they are allowing a week. Some of your comments amaze me.

Trump orders new FBI investigation of Kavanaugh to be limited in scope and end in less than a week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results