shape
carat
color
clarity

Litter training small dogs

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know that sounds weird! We're getting a puppy this summer, finally the Jack Russell we've been talking about for like 2 years now. A couple of the breeder friends (on FB) of the breeder we're getting the puppy from litter train their puppies. Anyone here ever done that or know anyone who has? I talked to one of the breeders very briefly last summer about it, so I know it's not actual cat litter and it's in a bigger box. It sounded to me like they put one in the crate and then move it out to whatever room the crate is in, and then outside and then to wherever it's going to be, and eventually they can take it away and the puppy will still go in that spot. We were thinking about doing this when we get our puppy, and I know there are a lot of dog lovers here so I thought I'd ask about it.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I have bigger dogs, so never done this myself- but my best friend has a chiuaha mix and has great success with this. They actually left the litter box in the house, just like a cat, and the dog uses it whenever she needs to. The dog did figure out that if she steps into the box and hangs out for a second, then she gets a treat, whether she peed or not; so she does fake it on a regular basis! :lol:

Only downside is that the litter does get tracked into the house a bit on her paws. Using the box to train the dog to go outside seems like a much better idea.

Best of luck!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I feel it's counterproductive if you want the dog to go potty outside exclusively. I feel it teaches the dog it's ok to eliminate inside.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1307226622|2937950 said:
I feel it's counterproductive if you want the dog to go potty outside exclusively. I feel it teaches the dog it's ok to eliminate inside.

I hadn't thought about it until your post, but that is a good point. We live in a high rise, and I we knew that walking the dog was part of ownership. We have two large dogs, and I think it has been years since they had an accident even though they have to ride an elevator for their daily constitutionals!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I litter trained both my dogs. :wavey:

I used a litter that is like little wads of rolled up newspaper, similar to the new Second Nature Dog Litter by Purina, along with a little pan with a cut away side. Google it, they have a kit.

It made things so much easier when they were puppies, and needed to go every hour and deep into the night. I just put them in a pen with newspaper on the floor and the litter box and it worked fine. But I did also walk them, at least 3 times a day. I still walk them twice a day and keep a litter box out on the porch which they can access with a doggie door. I use it for more of a comfort thing for the dog. My thought is that we don't have to hold it all day, why should they? But interestingly, they've phased themselves away from the box, and only use it in an emergency, (something doesn't agree with their tummies and they have diarrhea or I'm accidentally out late). It's they're choice, they just seem to prefer to go on grass now that they're older.

You start with a wire exercise pen; http://www.amazon.com/BestPet-Black-Playpen-Exercise-Colors/dp/B0036WQFQM,, line it with newspaper, put a litter box in the corner. Get in the pen, play with puppy, and when he looks like he's going to go, plunk him in the box. When he pees in the box, give him a little 1/4 inch square of american cheese and lots of praise. I like the cheese, because it's cheap, easy to replenish, it's wrapped and easy to carry. I used it for all my training. Keep doing this, and a jack russell should pick it up pretty easy if he wants to. I also walked them a lot when they were puppies, and the cheese was a handy way to train them.

The most critical thing to do is picking a puppy from a litter. This is what I read and what worked for me; you don't want the one that runs right up to you, a complete stranger, because that dog is a little to cocky and could be trouble later. You also don't want the one that never comes to you, he might be shy and they sometimes have fear-biting issues later. You want one that approaches you slowly, over a little time, one that is cautious but curious, interested but not intimidated. Also, you want one that will allow you to hold him and turn him tummy up (toward you). That's a submissive move and most dogs will resist it, but avoid the one that becomes aggressive or nasty when you try it.

The litter box was a lifesaver when they were tiny puppies, but not a substitute for walking, especially with a jack russell. Those are BUSY, busy dogs and they need stuff to do. You should do lots of training and tricks with him, they crave the stimulation, and they like a lot of exercise, I think a couple of hours a day.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well..hm..I don't want the puppy to think it's ok to go in the house. I was mainly looking at it b/c there are times when I've let Chicken out to go and if the weather is bad, she won't go out in the yard, she goes on the back deck, or if it's been raining and there's mud all over, she comes back and is sopping wet w/mud and I don't want to bathe her every time. Chicken won't go during walks, she never has. So mainly just my experiences w/Chicken prompted me to think about it for the new one. The patio doors freeze during the winter and JD's usually the only one who can open them, and when he's at work, it's a huge process to let Chicken outside.

Chicken's been "different" since we got her so I know I can't base everything off her..JD's dog Sadie was a "dream" as far as training, so I thought Chicken would be too-we never had inside dogs growing up so I don't know the first thing about training them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results