carat
color
clarity

Lighter emerald

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Knowing very little about emeralds, this one recently caught my eye:

emerald.jpg

Is this quite light for an emerald? My only point of reference is a set of tiny earrings from my mother, which are much, much darker. But they have no glow, like this one so clearly does.

I'd love to hear what you think about it. It is three quarters of a carat and un-oiled. I cut off the info of the seller in a vague attempt to keep someone from snatching it up - but I'm sure some are familiar with the background/set up. I have no idea what I would do with it - but when has that ever stopped a PSer from getting a colored stone? :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful who you buy emeralds from. They're making synthetics with inclusions these days.

Lighter emeralds can be pretty, and have a certain glow to them.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this stone is the stone I was eyeing for a while, you can trust the vendor, the stone looks very glow on some photos, and it can be bezeled, which will darken it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this over the weekend and wonder if he should have left it oiled. In any case, he's reputable on PS and I have no reason to doubt him so far. The tone is light but can be darkened a little in the right setting.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up a small lot of lighter emeralds recently, and I just love the glow. Also, I have a stone from that vendor, and the colour of it in the photo was quite a bit lighter/almost washed out (at least on my monitor) vs. what it was in real life (which was much more intense and pretty) - for what that's worth. I don't know a ton about emeralds, either, but if you do pick this one up, I think a pendant would be safer.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was amazed by the glow of that one, like a little green ember. I was seriously considering it, but then realized I have this tendency to buy gems that are too small for what I really want just because they are beautiful, so I did not pull the trigger. But please buy it - let me know it has gone to a good home! Because that little alien deserves to be shown off :love:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snatch it, or I shall do it! I am trying to conserve funds for another project, but I like these vendor's stones so much...I hope someone will save me from buying yet one more...

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I am also guilty of buying things that are either too small to be practical (like my fancy pink and blue diamonds), or bigger stones, but still with no plans of ever setting. :oops: They're all just so beautiful!

Gary sent through some additional photos for me and the stone is darker in incandescent lighting - looks beautiful.

So...now it is mine and I will love it. :bigsmile:

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
justginger|1317816264|3033740 said:
I am also guilty of buying things that are either too small to be practical (like my fancy pink and blue diamonds), or bigger stones, but still with no plans of ever setting. :oops: They're all just so beautiful!

Gary sent through some additional photos for me and the stone is darker in incandescent lighting - looks beautiful.

So...now it is mine and I will love it. :bigsmile:

Congratulations! Show us more pictures after you receive it!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, congrats! Please post photos when you get it, and I'd also love to see the additional pics Gary sent you. :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent! Now we can all taunt you by asking what your plans for it are! :naughty:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Here is a photo of it in incandescent lighting. :love:

EmeraldHandshot1.jpg

I'm not certain what I'm going to do with it yet, but I'm thinking about having it in a sort of hand-hammered, bezel ring. Something earthy. A deep yellow gold. Maybe an etsy vendor?

I'm terrible about setting things though - still have my 1.26 tsav without a home! 8)

*edited to actually insert image!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, but I personally wouldn't bezel an emerald. They have lots of surface cracks and fissures, and a bezel could harm the stone. I would do something in yellow gold though. :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So tell us about the glow and the color. Is it like Gary's pix? Does it have the ephemeral glow and the neonish bluish green?! Come on Woman, You can't taunt us with one, hard to see photo, you must do better!!! :lol:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I don't actually have it in hand yet - takes entirely too long to get gems down here to Australia! That handshot was one Gary sent to me; I believe his wife is modeling it. :bigsmile:

I will be back to gloat about the supreme beauty...just as soon as I see it! :lol:

And good point about the bezeling, TL. Shame, I think it would look very nice with a bright yellow gold bezel. Will have a look around and see if any other settings catch my eye.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! What a gorgeous colour! I love the lighter shades of emeralds too. I have one of the grass green ones, and I just don't love it (it languishes in the box). I just picked one up that is close to this shade. I can't wait to see it in person! It's not very big, only 8mm x 6 mm. But the colour!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I've FINALLY gotten my little beauty - no fault of Gary's. Australia Post open hours are terrible here; I just can't make it in to pick up a package during the working week, and I worked last Saturday as well. It's been at the PO, waiting for me for well over a week now.

Anyway, I must say first of all that Gary's packaging is fantastic. Very solid and professional - opening it all was exciting, even for a little, fairly inexpensive stone. It came in a beautiful clear topped faux wood box, lovely touch. :appl:

And the stone? It's brilliant! :love: I just LOVE it. It's this striking green, identical to his pictures, vibrant and glowing. I'd attach photos now, but I can't seem to find my camera charger anywhere. The emerald actually translated to being much bigger than I expected, I suppose because my fingers are small (size 3.25). I can't overstate how much I love this stone and I'd jump through hoops to buy another stone from Finewater. A brilliant purchase, all round. :bigsmile:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Happy that you love this emerald, I was eyeing it for a while, happy that it got in good hands and the color is as good as you have expected...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results