shape
carat
color
clarity

Light Yellow/Brownish 1.5 ct. diamond SI2 only $3000?!

emma4auburn

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, so i went to D. Geller and Son today to look for engagement rings. I have been really interested in an alternative to the traditional white diamond, but don't want to go with a full fledged yellow diamond. I love antique pieces and i really have drawn a lot of inspiration from old edwardian and some art deco settings with mine cut diamonds. BUT i cannot afford an old piece. So i went to my local jeweler and asked if they had and light yellow/champagne like diamonds. For me, bigger is MUCH better. I figured since i wanted a yellowish color that i could maybe go bigger. Our budget was <$4000. The guys brings out several beautiful faint yellow diamonds, all from .98cts to 1.12 cts they were all si2 clarity and all from $4300-$4900. But that was a huge markup and he said that he could go down on the price considerably. I asked him, just for fun, what he had back there in a bigger size close to 1.5. He came back with a beautiful si2 light yellow, with a tint of light brown 1.54 ct diamond. I was stunned, i absolutely loved it. And the price...only $3000! He said for the diamond and the $1400 band he would give it all to me for $3500. Im wondering if its too good to be true? Its a very reputable, chain jeweler. Not a scam. The diamond was slightly included, but not to the naked eye. I could only tell under the magnifier. So what do you all think? There are two picture of it, under different exposures obviously. The brighter one shows the diamonds more yellowish colors coming out and the darker photo looks more brown, but in person it def. resembles the yellow color more than the brown. The photos are from my phone so they aren't fabulous, sorry! also they haven't mounted it yet so clearly it will look better once its ready.
Feedback would be great :)

myring.jpg

adrift02

Rough_Rock
I'm still fairly new here but can tell you that we need additional info (cut, color, certified?, etc) to judge the price. But, my advice is that if it looks good to you, go for it. You definitely aren't going to find a "quality" 1.5 ct diamond (referring to price determinants here) at ~$3,000. The only big problem I could foresee (assuming you like it) is any possible inclusions that could affect durability. But, I don't think it would be graded SI2 is there was something like a feather doing that. Are you able to get it independently appraised before purchasing?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

emma4auburn

Rough_Rock
Hi! Yes the diamond is GIA certified, and the jeweler is a very reputable jeweler in ga, they sell tacori and ritani which is the maker of the band i liked. The diamond is slightly included under magnification, but nothing major at all. very minor IMHO.
I am trying to steer away from searching for actualy "fancy diamonds" because the markup for them under that category is a little insane.
And yes it is a natural diamond, they only carry natural diamonds and their cut is really high quality with 81 points.
zoo that being said, the stats that i have are Cut- Round, ideal cut Color- i don't have the letter grade, but its a light yellow/champagne color, natural Carat- 1.54 Clarity- SI2 GIA certified

And its a very clean SI2...from the 30-40 diamonds i have looked at this week...its a good SI2. But im not a professional at all so i could be crazy? Just seems to me like a great deal.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have the GIA report number?

emma4auburn

Rough_Rock
I don't have that with me, but i did specifically ask the jeweler and he said they don't sell any diamonds that aren't GIA. I know i will get it upon purchase or maybe if i go in there and ask for it they will give it to me? But i was just shopping today and didn't think to get any of that info...

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
The light and brown descriptors are why the diamond price is significantly lower than a white diamond or a non-brown yellow. I've actually just bought two (GIA) yellow diamonds myself, both SI2s and both right around 1.5 carats. The Fancy Brown Yellow was about 50% less expensive than the Fancy Yellow. I liked them for different reasons. The Fancy Brown Yellow, technically less desirable, is essentially identical in color to 14k gold, and reminds me of crystallized honey. Being an oval, it also faces up at about 8x6mm with minimal bowtie. It's similar in color to http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/je...ownish-yellow-radiant-gia-honey-colored-r3460, although I didn't buy from DBL. The Fancy Yellow is more like crystallized lemon rind, but it's a slightly deep cushion that faces up slightly over 6x6mm, which is a tad small for its carat weight. It's similar to this color (didn't buy from here either): http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4500.htm

All that said, keep in mind that color is prioritized for fancy diamonds, not so much cut or clarity because that's color is what you're paying for. Pictures are pretty much terrible for conveying fancy colored diamonds as Kenny can vouch for. That said, I'm seeing mostly unsaturated brown in your pictures, which doesn't really appeal to me personally. Try and see if you can go somewhere and see a Fancy Light, a Fancy/Fancy Intense and a Fancy Vivid all next to each other, so you can find the best balance of face up size and color. You may find that the stronger colors are going to attract more attention even if they are half the face up size as the lighter colors. Don't forget that you can halo the diamond for more finger coverage and/or extend the color if you get a colored halo.

An alternative would be to come over to the colored stone section and research chrysoberyls for a screaming yellow (and yellow sapphire I suppose, but that's probably not going to be enough dispersion for you).

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best advice I can give is to try on all different sizes, colors, and cuts if stones as well as different ring styles. You may find that you line a certain size color or carat size when looking online or at a display case but not on your hand. Ultimately you have to go with your eyes and what you find appealing on your hand. Be sure though to learn as much ad you can about the types of clarity issues sobyou know what you are getting and that you view the atone in different types of lighting, not just store lighting which helps stones to put out their best color and performance.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the GIA number and exact carat weight now before you buy. Post the number here so we can look at the grading report.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If YOU don't LOVE it, it's not a good deal. I think it looks pretty and different (from what I can see in the pictures)

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
Emma,
If you love the stone, then get it.

My experience at D.Gellar was not good (I live in Atlanta). The Grad. gemologist there got quite annoyed at me when I was using my loupe and idealscope, and most of the stones were IGI certified, not GIA. Make sure they show you the GIA cert not just tell you it has one; when I pressed them about seeing the cert I was told it "must be at another store".

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Since you mentioned that you love antique pieces I just wanted to point out this diamond that Diamonds by Lauren is selling:
http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-111-u-v-light-brown-vs1-gia-old-looking-r3936

It's a beautiful old cut with an open culet that's a light brown color, and it comes with a GIA report. If you check out the rest of the website, you might find something else you like. They sell loose stones, finished jewelry and are a reputable site.

Another site to look at (if you still love the idea of an antique engagement ring) would be Jewels by Erica Grace. They're also reputable. If you're able to stretch your budget a bit more, they have this 1ct ring on sale for $4995:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...und-Brilliant/11953834_kYv3k#1173688048_qZvwE
The price can be found on this page if you scroll down to the 2nd ring on the page:
http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings_page_2

You can also post on Antique & Vintage Jewelry board and ask them if they can help you find something within your budget. I know a lot of people don't like eBay, but I tend to buy most of my vintage pieces from there. So don't think that you can't afford an antique or vintage ring with your budget. ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do agree that all that matters is what color appeals to you, not what it costs.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1304526403|2912065 said:
I do agree that all that matters is what color appeals to you, not what it costs.

Couldn't agree more! It is only a good deal if you are getting exactly what you want for a price you are willing to pay. Otherwise you are settling for a ring/stone because it's a good price- not becuase it is exactly what you want!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally would look around to make sure it is a fair price for that color stone, as brown stones are not valued highly on the market. I know it is tempting because of the price, but make sure you love the diamond for what it is as well, and that it is being offered at a fair value.

I would also request to see the GIA report before you commit to anything because you cannot always take a jeweler at their word. It has been known to happen where a consumer will fall in love with a stone, go back and find out "oops we made a mistake, it has an EGL cert!" or some other thing. Do your homework *before* letting your emotions get in the way. That is how I would advice you to carry out any major purchase.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1304531184|2912152 said:
I personally would look around to make sure it is a fair price for that color stone, as brown stones are not valued highly on the market. I know it is tempting because of the price, but make sure you love the diamond for what it is as well, and that it is being offered at a fair value.

I would also request to see the GIA report before you commit to anything because you cannot always take a jeweler at their word. It has been known to happen where a consumer will fall in love with a stone, go back and find out "oops we made a mistake, it has an EGL cert!" or some other thing. Do your homework *before* letting your emotions get in the way. That is how I would advice you to carry out any major purchase.

ditto. make sure that is a good price for the exact specs on the GIA report. and always ask to see a report in person, sometimes salespeople "forget" and say GIA and then take that back once they are asked to produce the report.

Luckycharms

Rough_Rock
It depends...what's the market on this type of stone? Sounds like they got it for cheap and it's been sitting for a while...

emma4auburn

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses! Im kind of bummed because when i asked for the GIA report i was told that there is none...confused? Yes i am. I was told that all of their diamonds were GIA certified. So im not sure how that happened, but im bothered that i got lied to. Im not even sure if i mind not having a certificate but THEY are rating the diamond at M color, SI2 clarity and Ideal Cut at 1.54 cts. I mean they can be totally fudging the numbers to me, since there is no certificate...how do i know they are telling the truth? I cant afford to have some appraiser come to the store with me and size it up so not sure what i should do. I wish i could find one in that 1.5 range in the same price range that was a bit more on the yellow side, a little less champagne. Im really into larger diamonds....lol. Maybe one thats like 1.25 would be a good compromise? Im so confused lol.

oh and just a little vent....the jackass at the jeweler actually had the nerve to say "The report doesn't add any value to the ring, and its just a piece of paper, and a third party opinion"
HA! right. I was not born yesterday. I hate sales people sometimes.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not reward those liars with a sale.
I'd find a new vendor.

emma4auburn

Rough_Rock
I know...your probably right but i got so attached to the idea of a 1.5 ct diamond! I wish i could find another one that big in my price range!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emma4auburn|1304550426|2912433 said:
I know...your probably right but i got so attached to the idea of a 1.5 ct diamond! I wish i could find another one that big in my price range!

I'll betcha that diamond is not what they told you it is, hence no independent lab report verifying everything.
Perhaps the price was in fact too good to be true, but not too good for a lie.
The price was probably right on for the grades GIA would have given it.
People who sell diamonds are never stupid, but some hope their customers are.

Diamonds with Lab reports are not more expensive, they are just harder to lie about.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
emma4auburn|1304550426|2912433 said:

what is your price range? and what sort of diamond are you looking for?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
emma4auburn|1304548861|2912410 said:
Thanks for all the responses! Im kind of bummed because when i asked for the GIA report i was told that there is none...confused? Yes i am. I was told that all of their diamonds were GIA certified. So im not sure how that happened, but im bothered that i got lied to. Im not even sure if i mind not having a certificate but THEY are rating the diamond at M color, SI2 clarity and Ideal Cut at 1.54 cts. I mean they can be totally fudging the numbers to me, since there is no certificate...how do i know they are telling the truth? I cant afford to have some appraiser come to the store with me and size it up so not sure what i should do. I wish i could find one in that 1.5 range in the same price range that was a bit more on the yellow side, a little less champagne. Im really into larger diamonds....lol. Maybe one thats like 1.25 would be a good compromise? Im so confused lol.

oh and just a little vent....the jackass at the jeweler actually had the nerve to say "The report doesn't add any value to the ring, and its just a piece of paper, and a third party opinion" HA! right. I was not born yesterday. I hate sales people sometimes.

It's not about "added value" it is about knowing what you are buying and whether or not you are paying a fair price for it! Yuck, I would not buy from a salesperson that a. misled you, and b. had that kind of attitude and response for you.

Honestly, I would keep looking for "your" diamond. Don't settle yet, you will come across something that strikes your eye... i'll even look around for you now... :Up_to_something:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now- keep in mind you will want pictures and ASET images, idealscope, etc. so that others on here can help you determine the cut... and the report so that you can see the inclusions... and to ask if these stones are eye-clean...

but some suggestions with lower colors- yellow-tint... and giving you the size you crave.. (this is to show you that you can get something in your budget close to the carat size you want)

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_...Carat_S_Color_SI1_Clarity_diamond-588856.html

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_...Carat_Q_Color_VS1_Clarity_diamond-507233.html

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_...Carat_W_Color_SI1_Clarity_diamond-616520.html

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_...Carat_U_Color_VS1_Clarity_diamond-615461.html

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_...Carat_S_Color_VS1_Clarity_diamond-588799.html

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_...Carat_O_Color_SI1_Clarity_diamond-588790.html

Camille_Abigail

Rough_Rock

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Camille_Abigail|1304562161|2912658 said:
I'm new here but I just have to tell you I love brown colored diamonds! and all the creamy off whites! Diamonds by Lauren has some incredible stones and I think in your price range if you look around, I'm in love with this one myself
http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-141ct-round-brilliant-fancy-brown-yellow-si2-lively-stone-lovely-color-r3899
DBL has some stones that do not have paperwork though. I'm not a white diamond kinda girl so I go for the colors.

that one does not have a GIA report.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is called the foot in door technique. It is the oldest sales technique in the book. You get the consumer hooked and get them to fall in love with something, then "oops!" remember it costs more than you thought, or it does not actually have a GIA cert, or whatever. Car salesmen use this method all the time. Sales people who use this method count on the fact that once you like something and make the decision to buy it, the investment causes you to be less critical of the product that you would otherwise be.

Anyways, you will have to try again somewhere else! And accept a more reasonable price/product ratio perhaps ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please tell the vendor why they lost the sale.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results