shape
carat
color
clarity

Light Leakage - HELP Needed on this 1.53 stone from BN

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers,

I am trying to narrow down on my diamond upgrade. The crown and pavilion seem to be great. I have done a lot of research on PS but the one area I am having trouble with is determining light leakage based on photos/video's. I have to purchase my upgrade from BN.

This diamond seems to be my front runner, but I was told there might be some slight light leakage. Should I always be able to see the distinct 8 arrows face up?

Can you PSers help me with some pointers on how I can identify light leakage going forward without an Ideal Scope? I can't afford super ideal in my 11K budget for a 1.5 but I want to get the sparkiest stone as possible. I'm okay with it being an 85/100 standard, as color H and 1.5 size are important to me. 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock seem transparent here, but perhaps its the angle or camera.

Here is the link: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD14539010

1.53 carats/ VVS2/ H-color/Medium Fluorescence
Depth: 62.2
Table: 56%
Crown 34.5%
Pavilion: 40.8

1603897133253.png
1603897237000.png

Quote Reply

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
Actually if you hold a diamond with Blue Nile - it notes it as sold. I'm pretty close to biting the bullet and purchasing tomorrow!

jBright

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about going down in clarity but keeping it eye clean?

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
Have you thought about going down in clarity but keeping it eye clean?

I have actually - this one just happen to fit into all my criteria. I'm fine going to VS2 even an SI1 if its eye clean. Won't go lower than H.

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock

Would this be any better, experts?

I couldn’t pull the Gia report. Does BN not automatically supply those anymore?! Wtheck?

Thanks! I actually saw this one. They provide GIA reports, but the integration from GIA to BN is broken at the moment, you can request it and they provide it.

This diamond had an HCA score of 0.8 I think. So it might be a bit dark for a ring, great stone though.

1604037621577.png

jBright

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I actually saw this one. They provide GIA reports, but the integration from GIA to BN is broken at the moment, you can request it and they provide it.

This diamond had an HCA score of 0.8 I think. So it might be a bit dark for a ring, great stone though.

1604037621577.png

Personally, my diamond is either .8 or .9 (can’t remember exactly) and I think it never goes dark. But I may just be biased. Lol. I remember reading the dreaded stories of rings looking dark inside cars or direct sunlight but I haven’t experienced it yet. I don’t know much about light leakage so I’ll leave that to the experts. Good luck on your search!!

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
Personally, my diamond is either .8 or .9 (can’t remember exactly) and I think it never goes dark. But I may just be biased. Lol. I remember reading the dreaded stories of rings looking dark inside cars or direct sunlight but I haven’t experienced it yet. I don’t know much about light leakage so I’ll leave that to the experts. Good luck on your search!!

Hmmmm...that’s good to know. It’s so hard to know what’s the best stone when shopping online. I have been avoiding those under 1 but good to know they may be a possibility.

free-user

Rough_Rock
Does it have to be thru BN? With out images its hard to say definitively. It looks fine from video though and numbers. When spending over a few grand my advice if you are going to nit pick is buy a scope for like $75. Either that or go with premium cut diamonds verified by the vendors.

free-user

Rough_Rock
Hmmmm...that’s good to know. It’s so hard to know what’s the best stone when shopping online. I have been avoiding those under 1 but good to know they may be a possibility.

My experience is a 62.2 depth will appear darker than a say 61 depth. But seeing un person is the best way a loose diamond speaks to me...not a video or spec sheet.

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
Does it have to be thru BN? With out images its hard to say definitively. It looks fine from video though and numbers. When spending over a few grand my advice if you are going to nit pick is buy a scope for like $75. Either that or go with premium cut diamonds verified by the vendors.

Yes - since my original ring is from BN, and we already spent about $5 K, and I can't get a trade-in that's worth it. It's for my upgrade.

If I could go back I would have gone with WF as all of the specs/images are there.

I will buy a scope and take a look myself when I get it. And assess for sparkle.

It's funny because I was floored when I got my first ring and its an 5 on the HCA...PS has provided me with so much info, I wish I knew about then back then.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the same stone as in your previous thread?

As per my reply in that thread, I do not think this stone suffers from light leakage, based on the information available.

Without an ASETscope image or a SARINE scan, further empirical analysis is not really possible.

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
This is the same stone as in your previous thread?

As per my reply in that thread, I do not think this stone suffers from light leakage, based on the information available.

Without an ASETscope image or a SARINE scan, further empirical analysis is not really possible.

It is! And I am going purchase it today I think. It's so annoying that BN does not provide an ASET images.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is! And I am going purchase it today I think. It's so annoying that BN does not provide an ASET images.

Just order your own ASET scope and check it out when you get the stone. They are super handy and good to have around.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My experience is a 62.2 depth will appear darker than a say 61 depth. But seeing un person is the best way a loose diamond speaks to me...not a video or spec sheet.

Depth does not determine darkness.

This pavilion of 40.8 will not have obstruction or appear dark on close observation more than than average stone despite having an HCA less than 1

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depth does not determine darkness.

This pavilion of 40.8 will not have obstruction or appear dark on close observation more than than average stone despite having an HCA less than 1
yes

fyi since the latest update to the hca there are more combos that are ok for a ring scoring under 1.
Basically if the pavilion is over 40.6 actual it should be ok in a ring.

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers! I got my Ideal Scope image and I'm not sure how to interpret: @Karl_K, @OoohShiny & @LLJsmom thoughts on this.

I'm not exactly even sure what this photo is but it's all I got.

1604362611451.png

free-user

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers! I got my Ideal Scope image and I'm not sure how to interpret: @Karl_K, @OoohShiny & @LLJsmom thoughts on this.

I'm not exactly even sure what this photo is but it's all I got.

1604362611451.png

The diamond looks to be off angle. I could be wrong. The reflection does not help too. Its a mess of an IS. BN took this? I did better and I'm an amateur.

yyc_la_signa

Rough_Rock
The diamond looks to be off angle. I could be wrong. The reflection does not help too. Its a mess of an IS. BN took this? I did better and I'm an amateur.

Yes - the vault it in India so it's hard to tell, and this was after many requests. I guess I could ask to see if another one could be taken.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
it was not taken right at all. Useless.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results