shape
carat
color
clarity

Life lessons you have learned during your jewelry journey

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: OK.. been giving some thought to what I have learned in the past 30 years as a jewelry hound..

1. Pace yourself. As allaboardtheblingtrain stated upthread.. to not get too much at once since each piece is the "new wife" for only so long and then you are onto something else. Give yourself ample time to enjoy each new piece you acquire. Of course sometimes things don't always work out that way and something fabulous comes up right on the heels of something else fabulous so there are exceptions to every rule. The "new wife" reference is a nod to one of my favorite reality shows to snark on "Sister Wives" :lol:

2. Don't throw good money after bad. I had one custom piece made that I never loved.. I thought of resetting it.. and then realized I probably would never love it and should just chalk it up to experience that sometimes custom pieces don't turn out as you think they will. That story had a happy ending though.. oldest daughter LOVES it an so it will someday soon be hers to enjoy.

3. Err on the side of spending a little more.. get exactly what you want if you can afford it. Most times (as my mother used to say) you'll never miss the money.

4. As Sharon said.. if you love signed pieces go for it! That being said I rarely if ever buy signed pieces full price. Most are "slightly used" but still great.

5. Sell what you don't wear and flip the proceeds into something you really want.

6. Branch out where you purchase. Ebay has gotten a little stale for me.. prices aren't that good anymore and there seems to be much less of things that interest. I don't know if that's because I have tons of stuff or there is just a lot less variety of new things being listed. I have been very into auctions lately.. Doyle, Christies, etc. Even just to gaze at the finery there.. I look WAY more than I buy.

7. Be OK with yourself if you don't wear the bling you have. I honestly enjoying just owning things and trying them on at home.

8. Lend pieces to daughters, sisters, mothers, mother in laws. Sharing the beauty makes it all exponentially more enjoyable.

9. Don't be too bummed about the "one that got away." I always think of the bus theory.. if you miss this bus another one will be along soon.

10. I'm sure I will think of other things but most of all I pat myself on the back for having such a fun hobby that gives me so much joy. And best of all even if you have tons of pieces they are all small and easy to store. Jewelry will always have an intrinsic value and is a great things to collect.

This lady KNOWS that she is talking about!

The "sharing jewellery" tip is so wonderful--I'm so happy to have been able to do the same. Giving pays loving dividends.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sharon!
Of course LOVE that seller! Always fantastic signed pieces at very fair prices.
In fact my oldest daughter, who got married in September, bought her Tiffany embrace eternity band there. :D

FABU!!!! :wavey: :appl: :razz:

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This lady KNOWS that she is talking about!

The "sharing jewellery" tip is so wonderful--I'm so happy to have been able to do the same. Giving pays loving dividends.

Oh thanks for the shout out and I just knew you would feel just the same about the pleasures of sharing the wealth of sparkle.
"Giving pays loving dividends" My new favorite quote.. thank you! :love:

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
1. If you didn't wake up this morning wanting something exactly like what you just saw, don't buy it.

(ie avoid impulse buys)

2. There are better things on which to spend your money than jewelry.

3. Never buy jewelry to impress others; most people will never notice that tiny dot on your finger.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All that glitters is not gold.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two more life lessons involving jewelry.

beingalive.jpg

and

whereveryougosparkle.jpg

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All that glitters is not gold.

I learnt this the hard way, from an unscrupulous jeweller in Hatton Gardens :(
The replacements are lovely though and really are 18 karat gold :p

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I learnt this the hard way, from an unscrupulous jeweller in Hatton Gardens :(
The replacements are lovely though and really are 18 karat gold :p

Oh wow, I really have no words. I was thinking being in a guild meant something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results