shape
carat
color
clarity

Life Expectancy After Heart Attack?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cousin, who is 70, had a bad heart attack a few months ago, and wasn't expected to survive. I know that some of the heart tissue died during the attack. But she did survive, and is doing much better, and taking part in a rehab program.

I have a question, though, for anyone who has experience in these matters. How long is someone at 70 expected to live after a bad heart attack? Is the general tendency for them only to have a short time, or is it possible that they could still go on for many years? I have tried to research this online but haven't found anything.

With various cancers, there are life expectancy stats, and I know that survival after heart attacks must be greatly varied, but I was wondering if anyone knew the general outcome, in terms of whether people cluster in short survival times or long. If they survive the heart attack and are doing well, perhaps their life expectancy is not affected at all? I'd love to know what the general outcomes tend to be, since I can't seem to find anything online. Thank you.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I suspect it would be hard to estimate as there are so many factors that already affect life expectancy for a healthy person as it is, trying to then determine it after something major like a heart attack would be very difficult. If a doctor has given her an estimated life expectancy then it's most likely the expectancy after a heart attack under the assumption that she was healthy before it happened. There's also factors like where the heart tissue has been affected as surgery such as bypass surgery may be able to help to prolong assist the heart with pumping blood. I know there is a blood-spinning procedure which assists with the accelerated healing and rejuvination of injured joints as well as inner ear/vertigo issues like Meniere's disease. I'm just not sure if it would be available or effective for heart attack patients.

FWIW, 3 out of my 4 grandparents did not see the age of 70 with 2 going to cancer and one to a heart attack, however my grandparents who died from cancer also had mild heart attacks around the age of 50 and saw at least another ten years but not much more than that. They were all smokers. The one that did see 70 is still alive, now 80, has never smoked and still has a healthy heart (despite recently being diagnosed with Stage 1 bowell cancer).
Yet I had a great grandparent who lived to 101 years old, smoked and drank his whole life and never had a single health issue. Died peacefully in his sleep.

We're funny creatures... :confused:

I wish all the best for your cousin Jambalaya, I hope that she takes positive steps on ensuring her health from here :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
There is no way to know. It really depends on how big the heart attack was, how quickly the treatment was delivered, and then how effective the treatment was. Her doctor might have a fairly decent prognosis, but even that would be an educated guess at best.
I'm glad to hear that your cousin is doing better and I hope that her recovery continues:)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This probably won't help but; my dad had a heart attack sometime in his life, then he retired and had a checkup when he moved to FL with my mom, the doctor determined he had a heart problem, went to a cardiologist who determined he'd had a heart attack at some earlier point and he had 30% loss of heart muscle... soooo I asked my SIL who is a pediatric cardiologist (obviously not versed as well in adults).. she said that a person can live a long life with loss of heart muscle.. my dad did die of a heart attack 20 years after retiring (at 83) so this may give you a bit of insight.

Peace.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too many variables but I will say this. If your first heart attack doesn't kill you chances are good that you can take necessary measures to go on and live a good life afterwards and prevent further heart attacks. As long as one can take the necessary treatments/surgeries/life style changes etc. Surgeons can do amazing things these days to keep those arteries open and the heart functioning well once you have the wake up call so to speak. Wishing your relative all the best Jambalaya.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My aunt had a heart attack in her mid 70s which required a quadruple bypass. Afterwards she went into cardio rehab and changed her diet and starting exercising according to what they taught her in cardio rehab. She is on meds (not sure what kind), but is now 91 years old and going strong. Walks at least a few miles each day and stays active in her church. I think the best thing she did after what occurred is that she maintained a positive attitude throughout the entire ordeal and till this day.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
My dad had a heart attack in his early fifties and went on to lead an active life until he died at 84.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I've seen plenty of people who have lived decades past a heart attack. One of the biggest determinants of how someone will do is how well they adhere to their medication regimen and any dietary restrictions they are given. With good adherence, someone could live decades and I have seen patients who have lived 25-30 or more years past their original coronary artery bypass surgery!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most dangerous time is really the first 24 hours, or really the first hour of a heart attack (whether you survive it or not). I am not a doctor, but for the most recent study I was helping with, we wanted to include people who were considered to have serious life limiting illness (would not be surprised if died in next year). I read a number of papers about cardiac disease and life expectancy, prognosis, but we were unable to come up with a simple screening to determine who to include who had a CAD diagnosis; too many variables to be able to identify life expectancy. I would just go by what the doctor says to get an idea. But there are people out there who have serious CAD that go on another 10, 20 years.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everybody for their replies and for the good wishes! :wavey:

I did read this, though, which was not very positive. I'd rather be prepared, if we are likely to lose her sooner rather than later. It's difficult because I don't know how much heart muscle was lost or how long she waited for treatment - but her daughter did say it was a massive attack. http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-failure/news/20080603/heart-failure-patients-too-optimistic

I know it's too individual to say. It's not like cancer where there are a ton of statistics.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heart failure is different than coronary artery disease. Gross oversimplification but advanced heart failure is not reversible while coronary artery disease is to a certain extent.
Perhaps you could talk to a family member and find out what her diagnos(es) are and whether there is any staging for them.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, part gypsy. I didn't know there was a difference. That side of the family are quite private about things. But I know my cousin was on statins for a number of years, and then had this heart attack. Would the statins be for heart failure or coronary heart disease?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The statins are for high cholesterol or dyslipidemia. Dyslipidemia will put you at risk for developing coronary artery disease/coronary heart disease (CAD/CHD) and also peripheral vascular disease.

Heart failure meds will be ACE inhibitors, ARB's (Angiotensin Receptor blockers), Beta Blockers, Digoxin, Diuretics (and some others). It can be confusing because the heart failure meds can also treat other diseases/processes like HTN as one example.

I wish your cousin a rapid recovery.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. Due to the statins, she probably has coronary heart disease - the furring of the arteries - rather than heart failure.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
It's different for everyone but my dad has had 1 big heart attack and had a quadruple bypass. Now he occasionally has mini heart attacks which his doctor says will be hard to prevent. The big heart attack was 9 years ago and he's still ticking. Otherwise he's healthy and walks 5 miles a day at 73 years old.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1445280519|3939901 said:
I'd rather be prepared, if we are likely to lose her sooner rather than later.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter how far in advance we know - you can never really prepare for how it feels to lose someone until you do.

I can tell you this: she's 70. She's moving into the final chapters of her life, right? There's just no way to know when our expiration dates are - that we can't control, but we can control how fully we utilize the 'now'. I'd focus on that - how to make the most of your time with her in the present.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think she has the artery disease and there are lots of positive comments here about that, as opposed to heart failure. I know lots of people who have lived to be very old - like 90-105 - so maybe that will be my cousin too. :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm too old to have read this thread. The first thing that struck me was how many people actually tried to impart knowledge to Jambalaya. I am at the point in life where it seems that not only has my own husband had heart attacks (two), but so have the husbands of all my friends. I cannot even remember all of their heart attacks. Sometimes I forget that one of them ever had one and have to be reminded.

Then there are the old friends who died "young" (maybe at age 50?) with children still in elementary school and high school of sudden, massive heart attacks, shocking us all.

Finally there was the kicker about moving into the final chapters of life at 70. No, I'm not there yet, but my father is still making me work at 95. Yesterday I had to take him to the gastroenterologist. No one gave him the memo about 70.

But I do agree with making the most of whatever time we have. People die at all ages from all things.

My point is that heart problems are very individual. One cannot find out much about life expectancy by asking here if the only information one has is that one has is that someone had "a heart attack". I do not know how much even cardiologists can predict the future for some cardiac patients. In my husband's case, after his second heat attack (which was 12 years after his first and took place after he had run 7 miles), he was told different things. It is why I had him come from Virginia up to Connecticut to see the cardiologist my father sees to get another opinion. Then he ignored the doctor's advice (which was to run indoors only) anyway. That was about six months ago.... I guess we'll see how that works out for him. I tried.

Deb :read:

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
As a RN who worked in ICU and CCU, I want to tell you that there is very little insight that can be given unless you have the full health history in front of you.
Prognosis is a terrible thing to calculate because the variables are so numerous.
First you should take in consideration her overall look of health as a person, then as a 70 year old, as a 70 year old woman, the heart history ( how much muscle damage occured, where in the heart did it occur, what are the results now hypokinesia etc,what is her EF percentage, does she have clogged coronaries and what percentage and which ones; ETC!),what is her meds regimen, the rest of her health. etc.
For all you know, she could have another one tomorrow or never again.
She is 70. She had a massive heart attack. I would prefer a great quality of life for her and a shorter expectancy than living a long time with crappy health thus crappy quality of life. (My take as a nurse).
How is she now,after this heart attack?
Is she back to her pre HA life levels?
How does she feel?
As for you, you want/need to know so you can prepare yourself. She is seventy, chances are she has lived at least 80~90% of her life (average life expectancy in the US is 78.7 male and female mixed, and 81.2 for females). What's your family average?
I'd would mix all that and kinda get a ball park.
Be very honest and then, forget all about it and live each day and remember to spend time with her when you can and talk to he rand enjoy her as much as you can now.
Because you never know for sure.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phanie|1445793664|3941985 said:
As a RN who worked in ICU and CCU, I want to tell you that there is very little insight that can be given unless you have the full health history in front of you.
Prognosis is a terrible thing to calculate because the variables are so numerous.
First you should take in consideration her overall look of health as a person, then as a 70 year old, as a 70 year old woman, the heart history ( how much muscle damage occured, where in the heart did it occur, what are the results now hypokinesia etc,what is her EF percentage, does she have clogged coronaries and what percentage and which ones; ETC!),what is her meds regimen, the rest of her health. etc.
She is 70. She had a massive heart attack. I would prefer a great quality of life for her and a shorter expectancy than living a long time with crappy health thus crappy quality of life. (My take as a nurse).
How does she feel?
As for you, you want/need to know so you can prepare yourself. She is seventy, chances are she has lived at least 80~90% of her life (average life expectancy in the US is 78.7 male and female mixed, and 81.2 for females). What's your family average?
Be very honest and then, forget all about it and live each day and remember to spend time with her when you can and talk to he rand enjoy her as much as you can now.
I second this. No one really ever knows how long someone has. Appreciate and spend quality time with your loved ones. Feeling this right now because one of our best friends just had surgery for cancer. He is in his 40's, with kids still at home. We don't know what his prognosis, but it makes me want to give everyone I love a hug.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Phanie|1445793664|3941985 said:
How does she feel?

x1
Agree with Phanie. There is a Bayer commercial on tv with various actors getting notes or some kind of sign informing them exactly when their heart attack will happen. It's a great message even if it is a commercial for Aspirin. What it does say, we just don't know. Your cousin seems to be an important person in your life. Enjoy the time you have together now. :))

Judy

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good advice, everyone.

Thank you so much xxxxxx

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results