shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk baby names

amc80

Ideal_Rock
For those TTC or pregnant, do you have any names in mind?

(Yes, I'm bored at work today.)

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I was in love with the name "Benjamin" when I was preggo with our son. DH shot down Benjamin in a heart beat. I can't tell you how sad I was. So I'm putting this back on the list for boy names. For a girl, I'm in love with the name Olivia, so that's the top of my list for girl names. I gotta admit I have a full girl's name picked out already. I'm going to try to get extra lobby points since DH pulled a switcheroo on E's middle name while we were in OR recovery.

DH really liked the name "Natalie" for a girl. While a really nice name, it's just not for me.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain. I have a lovely list of 10+ girl names...DH vetoed every single one :( We are set on boys- we have two names picked out in case we have two more boys (eek). We have one girl name set as well. But if we end up with two girls we are screwed. Our boy name is Tucker and girl name is Mackenzie. If we had a third boy I think he would be Cooper.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, I feel that the relative anonymity here lets me list out my favourites without fear!

Girls at the moment: Lisette (probably top of list), Lucinda, Lara, don't know why they're all "L" names. We LOVE Olivia but it is super-common here at the moment which puts me off. DH vetoed Adelaide, which I love.

Boys: Hugo, Joshua, Gabriel, Patrick, Darcy. I love Lucian but DH says NO.

Our list looks totally different from before we had #1. I think it's because we know what our babies look like now?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I love Adelaide!

Do you know what name I love but wouldn't use? Aisling (Ashlyn). I love the traditional Irish spelling but I know the poor girl would spend her entire life correcting people. I like Ashlyn as well, but it loses something with that spelling.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I think Adelaide would be an easier sell with DH were it not the name of one of the state capitals here :razz:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Okay since we have relative anonymity here my first choice boy's name: Benjamin Ryan (middle name after my brother) my first choice girl's name: Olivia Marie (middle name is same as mine, and my mom's middle is Mary).

Other boys names that I loved (DH vetoed): Lucas, Gabriel, Nathan.

Pancake, I love Adelaide too. I might have to add that but I'm sure DH will veto it. Seems like we share the same preference of names. I'd like to avoid L names since my name starts with L and ppl would end up calling me my daughter's name and visa versa.

AMC your remaining boy names go great with B's name. And MacKenzie is adorable

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I love all of your names! My favorite girl name is Sydney. It was vetoed because DH dated a girl from Australia and doesn't have fond memories of her. Lame. I also like Alexis/Lexie, Amelia, hallie, Haley, Lauren, and Madeline. All vetoed. For boys I like Matthew, Blake, Cole, and like. None of which work with our last name.

Our full name for a girl is Mackenzie Grace Elsie. Elsie is DH's great grandma. Grace is a name I love that happened to be my great grandma's name, so it all worked out. Boy will be Tucker Jack. Jack is my stepdad's name.

tbaus

Shiny_Rock
I'll play! Mine seem a bit out there compared to all of yours. I am a teacher though so a lot of names are rued out!! It will be interesting to see what I like now and what we end up with in 6 months :read:

For boys I like:
William- both DH and I like, but may be a bit popular?
Quinton/Quentin- love the nn Quin, DH thinks though if I love Quin we should just call him that.
Davis- a family name
Cole- has been on our list for years, but are both afraid that it may not work with our last name if people mistakenly spell it "coal"
Cameron

Girls:
Tessa
Aubrey- would rhyme with our last name though, which is also 2 syllables and ends in an "ee" sound.
Finley- same as above
Wren
Zola

Names we liked but have been crossed of the list for one reason or another:
Cooper- too popular in our area now
Benjamin- Surname starts with a "B"
Penelope- one of the Kardashian's stole it :blackeye:

amc I love Aisling, but agree about the spelling. The name you've picked out for a baby girl is beautiful.
pancake I love all your names, they all sound very classic! Haha, DH would be the same about Adelaide!
LC If it's a boy I hope you win the Benjamin fight this time around!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Haha tbaus, I know what you mean about work ruling out a lot of names - DH and I are both paediatricians :razz:

tbaus

Shiny_Rock
pancake|1390287637|3597477 said:
Haha tbaus, I know what you mean about work ruling out a lot of names - DH and I are both paediatricians :razz:

Yikes! Haha, with the two of you ruling out names I'm surprised at the list you've managed to come up with. Kudos!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Well, we have definitely ruled out anything with extraneous/silent Y's and H's. And anything with an apostrophe :razz:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our boy name is Harry Leigh (Leigh is DH's middle name), we also like Noah and Hunter. For a girl I love Leni, with Charlotte or Grace as the middle name. Got that sorted, now I just need to get pregnant!! :bigsmile:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what we'll name another boy if we have one, but we've agreed that a girl would be called Isabella. I love the name, it exists in both languages, and it's also the feminine version of my dad's name in my language. Since I have no brothers, and I took on DH's last name when we got married, I feel like it's a way for my father's name to live on. I don't particularly care about the middle name as long as it exists in both languages.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
My favorite girl name is Eleanor but a close friend named her daughter that (who is also a PSer Stephb0lt) so that one is out. Next on my list is Margaret- Meg, Greta or Maggie for short. It was my grandmother's name and she used the whole thing but I just love older girl names.

The only boy name we have tossed around is Benjamin. No idea why I like it so much. DH and I both have names that can't really be shortened into a nickname so I think I'm totally fixated on nicknamable names. There are no male family names that either of us like a ton.

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
I'll play! I love hearing other people's name choices.

DH and I have decided to stick to family names. Our DD was named after two of her great grandmothers which I just love (Edie Rose).

For this baby our girls name is Morgan Julia (my grandmother's maiden name, and my other grandmothers middle name) and our boys name is August Patrick(DH's Great Grandfather, and my father) We're keeping the boys middle name secret IRL because if this is a boy I want to be able to tell him when he arrives (we won't be finding out the gender beforehand).

amc80

Ideal_Rock
pancake|1390289613|3597487 said:
Well, we have definitely ruled out anything with extraneous/silent Y's and H's. And anything with an apostrophe :razz:

You're such a square :) No little So'uniques for you?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
This thread is timely for me since I'm officially in my 9th month of pregnancy and D and I still have not decided on a name.

I love Olivia. I wish it weren't so popular. I also like Charlotte and Isabelle, but those are popular as well. Oh, and same for Lily (Lillian).

And amc, Elsie is on our super-short list right now. But her name would be Elizabeth and Elsie would be the nickname. I really like Elsie.

For now, our front runner is Cora. We are really, really stuck on a middle name. We've been tossing around Cora Elizabeth, but neither of us like for the first name to end in a vowel and the middle name to start with a vowel. We've also tossed around Cora Lillian, but it sounds too much like Carolinian. I tossed out "Cora Violet" this morning, but D thinks it sounds like Corvette.

The name thing is so hard!!

D and I tend to like classic names (DD#1 is Catherine). Same for boys. I love Benjamin for a boy, LC. I also like Oliver, Henry...I can't think of any others because I haven't given boy names any thought at all!

Tbaus, I have a nephew named Wren--he's the only kid I know with that name (boy or girl)!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1390321659|3597678 said:
I tossed out "Cora Violet" this morning, but D thinks it sounds like Corvette.

Are you a Downton Abbey fan? Those are the names of two main characters! I think it sounds really nice though.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Disclaimer: audball is not currently pregnant nor is she trying to become pregnant.

I'm a FHH lurker since I've graduated from BWW and the Newlywed section isn't always hopping. I've seen this going around Facebook lately and thought it was a really interesting read!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-...baby_b_4551427.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

I love seeing the trends and what's going on. My sister is due with her second (a boy) any day now and my new SIL is due in May with her second (a girl). I always find it sooo fascinating what people choose and why!

My DH and I have chatted over the years about names for when we get to the starting a family stage and we don't agree on hardly anything! I told him it's a good thing our plan is still 5 years out so we have to to hash it out by then! ;))

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1390321907|3597680 said:
NewEnglandLady|1390321659|3597678 said:
I tossed out "Cora Violet" this morning, but D thinks it sounds like Corvette.

Are you a Downton Abbey fan? Those are the names of two main characters! I think it sounds really nice though.

I am a DA fan! And there's an Isobel on the show, too, so three of my short list names are DA names. I guess it's not too surprising given that I like classic names, but still!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love Isobel too, except I am hesitating because it means "God's promise" and we are, well, pretty ungodly. Or at least, we are atheists :|

audball - haven't run into you on PS for a while, hello! Seems that things have turned out very well for you indeed, very glad to see it :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
pancake|1390339437|3597912 said:
audball - haven't run into you on PS for a while, hello! Seems that things have turned out very well for you indeed, very glad to see it :)
Aww, thanks! It's lovely seeing you too! We just eloped in Savannah (pics in BWW) and I remember your Italian elopement so vividly! You were one of the posters that made me want to do it too! We are so very happy! I'm a full fledged FHH lurker since we're a few years yet from TTC, hope you don't mind me poking around over here!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1390329028|3597784 said:
Disclaimer: audball is not currently pregnant nor is she trying to become pregnant.

I'm a FHH lurker since I've graduated from BWW and the Newlywed section isn't always hopping. I've seen this going around Facebook lately and thought it was a really interesting read!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-...baby_b_4551427.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

I love seeing the trends and what's going on. My sister is due with her second (a boy) any day now and my new SIL is due in May with her second (a girl). I always find it sooo fascinating what people choose and why!

My DH and I have chatted over the years about names for when we get to the starting a family stage and we don't agree on hardly anything! I told him it's a good thing our plan is still 5 years out so we have to to hash it out by then! ;))

Thanks for posting that blog! Great read. We ended up in great-grandfather name category. It's on upswing in my area so it seems like everyone's great-grandpa had the same name.

audball

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1390348418|3598040 said:
Thanks for posting that blog! Great read. We ended up in great-grandfather name category. It's on upswing in my area so it seems like everyone's great-grandpa had the same name.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I really liked going through it. There were also some interesting baby name websites in the article I'd never seen before. So sweet to have a family name! I wish I liked *any* of ours...that would make things easier on us when the time comes.

For US parents, I also like checking out the Social Security Administration popular names list. It ranks names to 1000 back 133ish years. You can see trends there too if you're wanting to avoid anything too popular or something that may just be coming back "in" soon.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Well, we are due in about 3 weeks and are being surprised by the baby's gender so we have a short list for each.

The first name on each list is the current front runner:
Naima
Genevieve
Meron

Elias
Aaron
Benjamin

I also really liked Avery, Arden, Avalon, Olivia, Tessa, Natalie, and Isla, but DH vetoed and/or we thought they we were a little too popular in our area (NYC).

He likes Sydney for a girl which I vetoed.

Our girl middle names are Grace, Elizabeth, Jane, or Anne (all family names)

Boy middle names are Earl, Frederick, or Madison (all family names)

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
That is a cool blog and site Audball! Thanks for posting that. Nameberry.com is also a cool site for picking/researching baby names.

My DD's name is under the "weird" category! I made up her name but it has characteristics to it that make it sound like a real name. A few people have her name on facebook but it doesn't rank in the top 1000. Picking a sibling name is going to be impossible because her name is so different, that a traditional name will sound weird with it. And two weird names don't make a right in my book either! So yeah we are screwed!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
pancake said:
Oh I love Isobel too, except I am hesitating because it means "God's promise" and we are, well, pretty ungodly. Or at least, we are atheists :|

Pancake you sound very stubborn like me. I vetoed any religious names or names with overly religious meanings for the same reason. Doesn't fit us.

BellaOMG! I love all of your top runners! You and DH have great taste!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Bella I LOVE your names, they are beautiful!

mia haha I vetoed Lillian for the same reason ;-)

JenPaulson

Rough_Rock
The name Alexander has been a favorite mine for years. It means "conqueror." I also love the fact that I get to choose I will call him "Xander" or "Alex" which both sound cool to me :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results