shape
carat
color
clarity

Let''s hear your "requesting a blessing" story

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
I''m planning on talking to my girlfriend''s parents in the next couple weeks to get their blessing to propose to their daughter. I have a good relationship with her family, and we all get along very well. But, her dad yelled at me this weekend for keeping his daughter up a bit late. I''m not really upset about it, but hope he''s gotten over it by the time I ask to marry his daughter.
emsmile.gif

Could you share your story if/when you requested a blessing? I already know how I''m going to go about it, but I think this could turn into a very interesting thread.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Come on, no sharing on this subject?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
My husband knew that if he had asked for my father''s blessing, the answer would be no. I don''t have family issues, I was just raised a bit "differently" and am probably a bit more independent than some folks. Good luck with your proposal.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
My son told me that when he asked for his now wife''s parents for their blessing, he was scared to death. Her parents love him and he''s gone on family vacations with them for years, but was still nervous. They expected it was coming, but when Josh asked them, her dad started "playing" with him. Erin''s mom told her dad to quit...."Can''t you see he''s nervous enough?" Poor Josh.

N8-Star

Rough_Rock
i only asked her Dad... I knew that her mom couldn't keep a secret (they talk everyday)...

So, I asked her dad about 4 months ago over Thanksgiving weekend... The two of us went for a 30 mile bike ride... and it took me quite a while to work up to having that conversation. I love her parents and get along very well with them. After dating their daughter for nearly two years, they were expecting this step at some point.

I started by asking her dad to keep a secret for me. I made him swear not to mention anything to his wife (her mom)... and he promised. After I asked him, he said "it would be an honor"....

He kept to it a secret too.... 4 months later (last week in fact), I proposed... And my fiancee was able to be the one to break the news to her mom .. I knew that it would be important for her to be able to surprise her mom too...
1.gif

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Well, mine was rather simple. I was in town on business (her parents live 2 hours from us) and I popped in. I called a few days before to make sure that they''d be there. The phone conversation was a little weird... but once I got there, they welcomed me with open arms. I made it clear I was asking for their blessing and that I was including them not only because of my girlfriend''s deep love for both of her parents, but also because I had grown to really love and respect them too in the time we''d been dating. They asked a lot of questions, some hard, but all of which I''d talked about with my honey beforehand. It was actually more nerve-wracking to make the call to set up the appointment than sitting down with them and telling them that I intended to propose but that I wanted their blessing first.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My now DH didn''t ask for his blessing so much as let him know he intended to propose in my parent''s living room while I was in the kitchen with my mom. It was quite obvious to me what was going on, but I pretended I didn''t. I then went to the garage for something and he included my mom in the conversation and shared his plans regarding when and where. It was a really simple, not so big of a deal thing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results