shape
carat
color
clarity

lessons learned

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a quick little list of what I learned from my wedding that might help... please add to it!

1) hire a day of coordinator. It cost me $250 but she kept the peace, got everybody in the right spot, and gave people a different target for their questions and emotional breakdowns. Don''t like what''s happening? Not my fault! Yell at the day of lady! We had a couple of personality clashes, but in the end, I was glad we hired her. Ask your florist and photographer for recommendations. They know who is good. And listen to her! She wanted me to cut the cake when we came in the room. I declined, and that was ok, but we ended up doing the father daughter dance right after the cake cutting and nobody saw it because they were all standing in line for cake. I should have done the dance BEFORE the cake.

2) have candy in the bridal suite. For the bride? well, yes, but most importantly, that box of Lemonheads I brought with me worked REALLY well at getting the flower girls to stop crying, wear the head piece, and walk down the aisle. I didn''t know how much it helped until my sister in law told me the next day that she had the rest of the box in her purse.

3) Eat SOMETHING. Eat before you put on your dress... but not too much... just a little something bland and full of protein. Then, eat something between the wedding and the reception. One of my friends made a plate for me and pulled me into the corner of the dining room, away from everyone else, so I could eat and refresh before dancing the night away. It was the best thing ever. Later on, hubby and I walked around the buffet, munching, but we made sure the photographer wasn''t looking! What? never seen a bride eating a lamb chop directly from the chafing dish? it was GOOD.

4) stay hydrated. I was really worried about needing to use the facilities in my dress. Especially since I''d had a nervous bladder all morning and up until I put the thing on I was in the bathroom every half hour! But one of my friends told me she had worried too and ended up not needing to. I kept her in mind but I still didn''t drink much for the first 2 hours in my dress. Finally I chilled out when people handed me a drink with a straw. And for the record, I didn''t end up needing to go until after I took my dress off!

5) Figure out your exit well before it''s time to leave. We were signalling the DJ that we were ready to leave when my mom said "where are the keys to the car?" I said "umm... in my purse... that my sister took to the hotel!" we had a brief minute of panic before I remembered that no, I hadn''t actually gotten them back from my MOH who drove us to the club, so they were, in fact, in her posession, and she was still there. Crisis averted, but it didn''t make for a smooth ending. Also, my sis had taken MY stuff to the hotel, but DH''s stuff was still in the locker room. It was gathered up by drunk friends and put in someone''s trunk and he didn''t get it until 2 days later. Luckily we weren''t leaving the next morning. If he''d taken 5 minutes to pack it up and give it to my sis, he would have had his shoes and deodarant available immediately.

6) emergency kits Ours were STOCKED. And all that really got used was the advil, immodium, tums, breath mints and double stick tape. But at least we had everything available to us. Of course, one of those same drunk friends that mixed up M''s stuff, dumped the mens kit all over the lobby of the country club, so make sure the lid can be easily secured!

7) Be nice! tensions can run high on the wedding day but make sure that you''re careful with your targets. The only person I really got mad at was my makeup artist, but I never have to see her again, so that''s ok. I didn''t yell at her, but I was fuming by the time I left because she made us late. Your wedding party and your family don''t deserve to be yelled at! Make it a happy time and keep them from hating you later!

8) Practice the art of seclusion! By surrounding you with people that can help keep others away from you, you will be able to stay calm. The chairs were originally set up in the wrong place, but I didn''t know about it until the next day. The cake was an hour late. Didn''t know about it. You don''t NEED to know. It will be better if you don''t. At the same time, it''s good to have people give you "happy progress reports". When our judge arrived, she passed on a message to tell me. I heard "She''s here, just wanted you to know!" and "The DJ is setting up now!" and "the weather has REALLY cooled down" (it hadn''t but it was nice to hear). It''s ok to not know everything.

9) Enjoy it! I think it was JCrow that said she didn''t want to spend her whole wedding catching up with her mom''s 3rd cousin''s daughter, or something like that.... so I practiced that same thing. We had a LOT of people at our wedding and I knew I wouldn''t be able to talk to everyone, so I decided to just have fun and now when I look back at the wedding, I''m really glad that I wasn''t stuck in small talk the whole night.

10) Let it go. The idea of picking 3 things that you care about during planning is very important to keep you focused, but when it gets to be the day of and even those 3 things aren''t EXACTLY what you wanted... realize that you can''t redo it and just go forward. Maybe you can get money back later, but don''t let it ruin your day. Nobody else noticed. Really.

MarksGirl

Rough_Rock
Sumbride - as a BIW who''s only a week into her wedding planning, thank you so much for the tips below! I''m pretty overwhelmed right now, but your advice is already helping to calm me down!!
21.gif

largirl

Shiny_Rock
Those are great tips!

Just a quick addition to number three - in addition to being a LIW I''m also a photographer, and no photographer in their right mind would photograph people - esp. the bride and groom - eating. It''s not flattering and that''s usually when the photographer grabs something to eat as well. NO ONE wants their picture taken eating, so we don''t do it. Don''t worry about avoiding the photographer because you don''t want that giant bite of lamb recorded for posterity''s sake - it won''t happen! :)

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Great tips! #6 reminds me of that scene in the "Wedding Planner" where JLo has that packet of emergency items strapped to her chest. hehe!

shigidigi

Shiny_Rock
Oh my those are great tips! I think most women forget to have fun on their wedding day because they are stressing about stuff. Your list helps point out that you just need to relax because in the end, you cant stop the ball once it''s started rolling!

You should write a book! I bet countless brides to be would buy it!! I know I could have used a book like that (before I decided to have a 4 person wedding hehe!)

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
thanks. I hope they do help! I did get a lot of help along the way for preparing but not for the day itself. I think I wasn''t really ready for the day itself like I should have been, but it happens whether you are ready or not. and it''s over VERY quickly!

BELLA9280

Shiny_Rock
great advice!! thanks im going to keep all of that in mind

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
Hey Sumbride! Thanks for the great advice!!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
great advice and wish i'd read it before!
emsmile.gif

i think i *may* have yelled at one groomsmen who pulled a disappearing act when it was time for introductions. but that was because he had also been llate for rehearsal (very late, showed up at the end). yea, would have been better if i just smiled and maintained my image as ethereal bride, but i was so annoyed! (as was FI). Anyway, no one was around but him to witness it, so no damage done (hehe).

it is true that it's important to focus hard on enjoying the day (because it goes so fast and it's hard to not just get swept away by all the adrenaline and action) and to not get hijacked by the more aggressive guests. sometimes it's the more treasured family members who give you space so you forget to sit down and say hello and then the next day everyone is gone!

all in all it's such a wonderful day no matter what and very rewarding (despite planning woes), but what i've been most surprised by (post wedding) is how quickly it fades into the background and life goes back to normal! after 10 mos of planning and obsessing, now it's like "ok that's done" and now i've started thinking about buying a home, planning for a family like crazy! which is normal of course, but it's only been 3wks but everything seems accelerated..

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Sumbride - Thanks for the advice!!!
2.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
ooooooh excellent tips sum!! Thanks! I''ll have to remember to come back to this thread next year!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Great ideas, Summer! Thank you so much for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results