shape
carat
color
clarity

Laundry Room Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
So what is proper protocol when it comes to shared laundry? It bugs the crap out of me when people let their laundry sit forever in the washer or dryer when there are other people waiting.

I hate taking people''s stuff out, but sometimes its in there for hours! Is it terribly rude to take their clothes out, if you put them in their basket? How long are you supposed to wait before touching other people''s stuff?

I am always timing my laundry and head down there a minute or two early so no one else waits, so I get super annoyed when people treat it like their own personal laundry room.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just take it out, especially if there''s a basket.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
If it sits for more than 20 minutes - I place their laundry in their baskets (or place on top of the dryer if there are no baskets present) and proceed with my own.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to give it 30 minutes tops. Then I take it out and put it in the basket, and if there is none, on top of the washer/dryer.
11.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i got cursed royally for taking out someone''s laundry....even though the woman in question had let it set there for 2 hours!

mz

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 9:11:38 PM
Author: movie zombie
i got cursed royally for taking out someone''s laundry....even though the woman in question had let it set there for 2 hours!

mz

That''s exactly what I was afraid of, I don''t want to get bitched out for laundry!

I figured 20-30 minutes is long enough to wait... I mean the clothes weren''t even hot anymore.

Would you guys be offended if someone took out your clothes? I wouldn''t, but people can be weird.
3.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If someone gets pissed, I would just apologize profusely and let it roll off my back.

And then next time, empty their clothes out onto the floor.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2009 9:14:58 PM
Author: JulieN
If someone gets pissed, I would just apologize profusely and let it roll off my back.

And then next time, empty their clothes out onto the floor.
LOL!!

Personally, I wouldnt even apologize. If they get mad at you, just remind them to take their clothes out on time. And if they want to do laundry at their own time, then BUY A FRIGGIN WASHER/DRYER.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I have a tendency to forget laundry, so before I lived in a unit with our own washer and drier, I was this type of offender.
38.gif
I never would have been upset with someone for taking out my things, though, since I knew I was the one in the wrong. When I was in college, we had a wipe board by each unit and you were supposed to write your name and room # so people could come find you if you forgot your stuff. It generally worked well, and would have been VERY helpful to have had in my former apartment building!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely you can take their laundry out! I might give them a few minutes, but after that... bring on the basket!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly don''t mind removing someones clothes, I''m just paranoid that someone will get really upset about it. I obviously have a serious fear of confrontation.

I just went down to pull my clothes out of the dryer, which is an hour long cycle, and the clothes I pulled out were still sitting on the table, so they STILL hadn''t been back down there 2 hours later.

I wish the management would post a sign that says we have the right to remove clothes if you do not promptly remove them yourself.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We live in a duplex right now with this problem. Our neighbors (who are our friends but it doesn''t matter for me) leave their laundry down there to fester for days sometimes. So I just take it out and leave it on top. I don''t think it''s my responsibility to chase anyone down when they leave their laundry KWIM?

Usually I will wait until it''s "cold" though.
2.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
When I lived in the dorms, people used to leave their clothes in there forever. I would always take it out. If I took it out of the dryer and it didn''t have undies, I would fold it for them. I don''t suggest the folding but that''s something we used to all do in the dorms.

cara

Ideal_Rock
If they aren''t there to deal with it when its done, take it out. If they complain, too bad. They should be there to deal with their laundry on time!

I always feel bad when we leave our laundry hanging out in the shared area, so I try to leave an empty basket if I can just in case I forget to come down on time to retrieve it. If someone''s laundry has been there a while and there is no basket, I''ll try to leave it in a clean place (or fold it if I''m feeling especially good!) but also just get on with my chores. Life is too short to waste time at the laundry in fear of confrontation with people that are not being good users of a shared facility.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
All I know is that I don''t miss shared laundry at all! Especially with all the laundry I do at home, I couldn''t IMAGINE sharing a washer and dryer with someone.

I do remember when I had to do it though. I always felt like I had to sit in there or else someone was going to steel my clothes. And one time I got a pair of another ladie''s underwear in my pile. Didn''t realize until I was already home. Eww.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
If you are there when the cycle stops, and there are no other washers available, wait for a few minutes and then haul the gear out.
What else do people expect you to do?
I wouldn''thave a problem with people removing my stuff if they needed the machine and I wasn''t there to supervise my wash properly.
But, put the pile in a safe corner, without the undies dragging all over the floor, please!
1.gif

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I would give it about 30 mins, then I would put it in their basket or on top of the washer.
One time, only one time, did I forget my laundry
38.gif
, and when I ran out to get it, I found my laundry folded up nice and neat. I felt soooooo bad.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You pay for the wash cycle, not for the washing machine. So once the cycle is complete the washing machine isn''t yours to use for storage. I say remove the washed clothes and put them as neatly as possible in a basket.

lili

Ideal_Rock
DH is always annoyed with people who'd leave their clothes in the wash/dryer.
He'd give them 20 minutes then they'll go in a basket (if there is one available) else it goes on top of the machine.
His thinking is, if you don't want someone touching your clothes, then get on top of things and know when your wash/dry is done.
Like the previous poster said, you pay for the wash/dry, not the machines.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 1:06:04 AM
Author: lili
DH is always annoyed with people who''d leave their clothes in the wash/dryer.
He''d give them 20 minutes then they''ll go in a basket (if there is one available) else it goes on top of the machine.
His thinking is, if you don''t want someone touching your clothes, then get on top of things and know when your wash/dry is done.
Like the previous poster said, you pay for the wash/dry, not the machines.
Ditto. If anyone had a problem with it, I''d retort that people''s time is valuable and how would they like it if they had to wait an extra half hour for a machine that was done and just sitting there.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
In college, there was a girl who was doing laundry every day (which was odd) and she was always REALLY loud about people taking her clothes out when she was "just about" to come get them to fold. Whatever. The thing is, when the load is done, if you''re waiting, it''s your turn at the machine. I wouldn''t just haul off and chuck clean clothing on the floor, but I''m certainly not going to fold it for the person, either (which is pretty gross, because I wouldn''t want strangers fondling my clean clothing!). This girl totally was like the laundry room lady on Friends, thinking back. She was nuts about it and would go off about how if you take *her* clothes out of the machine, you *better* fold them. And she was just as bad about not coming to switch from washer to dryer. I hated putting wet clothes on a counter, but would have to do it sometimes (almost always, it was hers). I was a poor college student and not about to give up 5 of my quarters to dry her clothes!

Anyway, as to the etiquette of laundry rooms: I think rule number one is to watch your own stuff and to be efficient in moving all items from washer to dry, then from dry to home. Rule number two is if you''re not able to do this, then the next person to use the machine(s) has to take on your responsibility and do it for you. No whining.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been guilty of leaving my stuff in the dryer in the past. I had NO problem what-so-ever with people taking it out, but I would feel weird if someone folded my clothes. That means someone went through them with care (which makes me think they''re checking out my clothes!). Just pile them somewhere clean please.

Similarly, I have no problem taking someone''s stuff out of the dryer if it''s done and I need the dryer. My time is worth money (to me anyway lol). And I''m too poor to wait around for someone to get their stuff!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone else that you have the right to remove someone''s clothes if you need the machine and they have neglected to do it. Some people will whine and complain though even though they are in the wrong.

One time, I moved someone''s clothes out of the dryer and placed them on the folding table and put mine in the dryer. When I came back to get my clothes, the pile was gone off of the table and my dryer had been opened and some of the clothes thrown on the floor. They were still wet and of course the dryer had run out of time. I can only assume the person whose clothes I moved was upset and opened my dryer and pulled some of my clothes out...talk about childish and rude
38.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was an offender when I had joint laundry. I don''t mind having my clothes removed from the washer or dryer. Please pile them someplace fairly clean, not on the floor, and I''ll do my best to remember in the future. It''s not a big deal to me, I''m just forgetful and it''s never my intention to hold up anyone else washing.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Elle, if the laundry is no longer warm, it''s been sitting there for more than 15 minutes. So empty the machine and don''t give it another thought. They don''t like it, they will get over it, I assure you.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Cold laundry leaves the machine. Whether the owner of the clothes does it or I do it doesn''t matter to me.

I do make an effort to put it someplace clean, but it''s not my fault they didn''t come get their laundry when their time was up. If they want to yell, that''s fine, I''ve got lungs, too, and I''ll use them if I have to.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes I just think its best to buy 6 months worth of underwear than to deal with shared laundry.
20.gif

I just wanted to make sure it wasn''t totally rude to remove people''s clothes after a certain amount of time. Since you all agree that you should, if someone confronts me on it, I know I''m not in the wrong. Just wanted to confirm!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
At our old place there were two offenders of crappiness. One would wait down there for your washer to shut off- meaning THAT SECOND, and if you weren''t there (I usually was, I hated leaving clothes in the machines) she''d take your stuff out and put it on top of the dryer all scattered and undies flying in the breeze. Finally the husband had to wait down there and catch her in the act and say, "You DO know it''s very rude to just take someone''s stuff out the second the machine shuts off?" She pretended she didn''t know. After that kind of person, there was the one who''d check to see if your laundry was done, and NOT shut the door correctly, making you waste another dollar or so, as well as another hour to dry. Really, person? Does that actually help you? I hate sharing laundry rooms!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 5:41:44 PM
Author: AmberWaves
At our old place there were two offenders of crappiness. One would wait down there for your washer to shut off- meaning THAT SECOND, and if you weren''t there (I usually was, I hated leaving clothes in the machines) she''d take your stuff out and put it on top of the dryer all scattered and undies flying in the breeze. Finally the husband had to wait down there and catch her in the act and say, ''You DO know it''s very rude to just take someone''s stuff out the second the machine shuts off?'' She pretended she didn''t know. After that kind of person, there was the one who''d check to see if your laundry was done, and NOT shut the door correctly, making you waste another dollar or so, as well as another hour to dry. Really, person? Does that actually help you? I hate sharing laundry rooms!
I''m amazed by people like this. How do they okay this kind of behavior in their heads?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 4:19:34 PM
Author: princesss
Cold laundry leaves the machine. Whether the owner of the clothes does it or I do it doesn''t matter to me.

I do make an effort to put it someplace clean, but it''s not my fault they didn''t come get their laundry when their time was up. If they want to yell, that''s fine, I''ve got lungs, too, and I''ll use them if I have to.

Princess - LOL - I totally agree with this. Actually, I had my absolutely most wild laundry moment about a month ago in my current building.

I went down to get my laundry started, loaded up some machines with quarters and laundry soap (some were already running, so I used the ones that weren''t in use), and was putting my clothes into the washing machines when this girl came down. She glared at me, and then said, in this indignant voice, while gesturing to one of the machines I was putting clothes into, "didn''t you NOTICE I was going to use that one?!" Um, excuse me? I said "I''m sorry, I didn''t see anything marking that machine as being in use." So she then gets super huffy and says "well, I closed the lid, you should have known I was going to use it." Um, WTF?!?!! If I hadn''t been so astonished, I would have laughed in her face.

Has anyone ever heard of, if you close the lid of an empty washer, and it isn''t marked in any other way, that you have "claimed" that washer? Bizaare
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results