shape
carat
color
clarity

Last minute quick and easy recipes for potluck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I am invited to a bridal show for this Sat. It wasn''t stated in the invite that it was a potluck. I only found out Yesterday from an email that my SIL forwarded to me. It kind of frustrating to know so last minute, and I feel like it''s a burden on the guest to have to bring food and gift. I am considering not going, but in case I do, I want some easy and quick recipes for it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Qtiekiki, I can''t believe you have to bring food AND a gift!
38.gif
Oh well...you just never know what people are going to do, hmm.

I like to make spinach and artichoke dip in my small crockpot for this kind of thing, you can do it stove top as well. There are tons of recipes online, or I can give you one if you want.

Do you need to bring an appetizer or main dish, or dessert? I can help out more if I know what type of dish you want to bring...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just thought of this: do you shop at Trader Joes? If so they have a ton of options, especially for the holidays, for appetizers. Salsa, hummus, etc., plenty of great cheeses and wines, and also mini quiches (frozen) that would be great for appetizers or just finger food at a shower. Quick and easy to me usually means just picking up a few things I can throw together without cooking and still have a nice presentation...yours just needs to be portable too, right?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
They (the shower planners/hosts) didn't specify what type of dish to bring. I don't know if they will provide some of the food and then the guests are bringing some more or if they are totally relaying on the guests to bring everything. There's also no info on the amount of food they want each guests to bring.

It's not that I expect them to provide the food per se. I don't mind paying for the food, but I would prefer that they have the shower at a restaurant and the guests can split the bill. I would even be ok with the potluck if they would let people know earlier. Just seems like bad hosting etiquette.

Anyways, I was thinking more appetizer or hor d'evoures type things or salads. I would prefer if I don't have to bring along a crooker pot.

ETA: I will look into Trader Joe. We have one by us. Actually the first thing that came to my mind was to buy a big bag of buffalo wings from costco and heat them up. I thought maybe I will do something nicer, but I do love buffalo wings. =)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think there is anything wrong with buffalo wings--lots of people love them! Maybe you could add some special or fun dips to go along with them? I know a lot of people like to dip theirs in blue cheese or ranch dressing...maybe you could whip up some dips to complement the wings? Or you could do some in super spicy marinade and some in mild...DH loves to fix them for parties we have at our house and has all kinds of fun recipes for marinades. Also you could bring along celery sticks, carrot sticks, etc. as a complement. Seriously, if wings are easiest for you then I say go for that idea! If DH were not OOT right now I would pick his brain about it, but he''s in Atlanta sleeping so I won''t, he hee. Good luck!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Monarch. When your DH comes back, you should pick his brain and give me some recipes for it. hehehe

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha, I totally will! He''s bordering on insanity with the wing recipes! LOL!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you go to TJ''s, how about a couple of prepackaged salad''s? Throw it in a nice salad bowl and voila! You can add additional ingredients of your own to jazz it up if you want.

Pasta salads are easy to make. Like maybe a bowtie pasta with salmon, peas and dill (mayo based).

Or a tomato, mozzarella and basil salad. TJ''s would have everything you need. You could use their little grape tomatoes (works better if you cut them in half). Costco has the best grape tomatoes these days..they are the Nature Sweet branded ones (not the Santa Fe sweets). TJ''s has small mozzarella balls. rip in some basil, drizzle good olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.

If they have an oven available, buy a big baguette and make bruschetta. TJ''s has a great bruschetta sauce. I like the one that is in the white and green container (it is not see-through). Just cut the baguette, drizzle with olive oil and place on the table with the sauce (self serve)

Also an idea from costco...buy their rotisserie chicken and make chicken salad (mayo based). add celery, etc etc. Serve with crackers.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Q, I would think it is best for you to know what others are bringing or tell hostess your plans...otherwise you all might end up with ten similar dishes and nothing of something else...just helps to plan so there is a nice balance! This thread is getting me hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results