shape
carat
color
clarity

Last minute advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mburgess007

Rough_Rock
Hi guys! I'm leaving for a romantic break in Cologne Germany tomorrow having spent a month planning a suitable ring etc. I haven't given the actual proposal much thought I'm ashamed to say....so beginning to panic!

Which night of trip...first....middle.... last?
New city no idea about places to go and can't speak German so whats the best plan of action?
How do you ask for a dozen red roses in german and how could I communicate with the waiter that I would like a bottle of champagne if she says yes??!!!

I haven't slept much these past few days, eyes are a bit red and I'm developing a nervous twitch! Any help greatly appreciated...time is of the essence!!

Countdown to leaving ... 16hours.

Thanks in advance,

Mark 'fa Scotland

mburgess007

Rough_Rock
Don''t judge me too harshly I beg of you, I have spent time and effort booking the perfect getaway, the perfect ring and set the tone for the trip with a relaxed weekend for us both.

In your opinion people, is it better to ask 1st night (taking into consideration my nerves and such) or later on in the week? I mean is it really going to be a let down if she is a thousand miles from home and unable to tell everyone she''s getting married?

caligal

Shiny_Rock
Well, does she share a lot of things with her family and friends? If so, I might be inclined to wait until the end of the trip so she has less time to wait to call. On the other hand if you''ll be nervous the whole time- do it the first night! You want to enjoy your vacation and time with her after all. Really- as long as the proposal has heart- she won''t care what night! Good luck!

mburgess007

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that, I asked her folks permission earlier this month and they are aware that I''m planning to pop the question. My girlfriend does however tend to communicate a lot with friends and it might turn into a phone fest if i do it too early. I guess I''ve coped until now with the suspense, a few more days won''t hurt. Perhaps I should go for the last night or the night before that, lets see that would be thursday or friday. Perhaps thursday and give her a day to get used to it all.

Thanks for the advice though, its appreciated.

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

What a wonderful place to propose! Good luck with it all!

I can''t speak German, so I can''t help you with how to communicate with the waiter. I am sure that you will be able to find one waiter (or the hostess etc) that will be able to speak English well. But to ensure that everything goes perfectly, I''d suggest that you talk to the congierge at your hotel. Arrange for your girlfriend to be somewhere else (up in the room, make up an excuse about having to go downstairs for something, or out to grab something from the store). Then explain to the concierge that you''re planning on proposing, and ask him to write down what you''d like to stay to the waiter in German on a piece of paper. That way you can get up from the table discreetly soon after sitting down (make the pretense of having to use the restroom), and you''ll be able to find a waiter that speaks English, and just to make sure they understand what you''re asking for, have the piece of paper with it written in German from the concierge.

You know your girlfriend best, but I definitely would rather be proposed to early in the trip. Maybe not the first night, because you guys will be tired from traveling etc. But definitely early in the trip, so either the first night if you''re up to it or the second night. That way you guys get the whole vacation to enjoy being engaged. And you''ll be able to share it just with each other for the first few days, since your family and friends won''t be around and you''ll probably have to wait to call them due to the time difference.

If I went on a romantic vacation like that, and my boyfriend waited until the last night or near the end of the trip, of course I''d be excited and happy that he proposed, but I think I''d wish he had done it earlier in the trip so I could have enjoyed it more during the trip.

Good luck! I''m sure you''ll have a wonderful time!

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
If I were you, i would propose, say, the second or third night. Give it time for you guys to get over the exhaustion of the flight, relax a little, think about how your gonna do then ask her in a couple days. Just my 2 cents worth!
9.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I''d do it the first night. There could be no better way to celebrate the beginning of a vacation! Then you can be stress-free and happy the rest of the time.

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
i was born in germany, here are the easiest translations i can think of for i think what you need:
i need 12 red roses please: ich brauche zwolf rote rosen bitte
i need a bottle of champagne please: ich brauche eine flasche sekt bitte
let me know if you need anything else

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
I just realized that I may have been too late.. wish I had caught the thread earlier... Let us know how it goes!!

mburgess007

Rough_Rock
Just a quick note to let you know we are back and very happily engaged! Thanks for all the advice and hints,I ran out of time to check for help but sometimes I think things are meant to happen for a reason.

We arrived on Tuesday, no problems with customs and I was a little concerned I may be searched and the ring would be pulled from my hand lugguage however no such problems. We were staying in a beautiful part of the city and I practiced how to ask for a coffee before we left so I coped ok although to be fair my fiance is a fluent German speaker.

I was a little unsure when to pop the question but was very aware that Koln was not what I expected, it was beautiful and we both loved it but it was really jumping and the cathedral was mobbed with visiting tourists. I couldn''t sleep at all on Monday with nerves and I ate very little, surprisingly though I did manage to drink some Kolsch beer!

I decided to propose on the 2nd night, we arranged to have a meal in a lovely restaurant and we talked happily throughout it. I didn''t eat much at all and after the drinks arrived (I love Cosmopolitan Cocktails now!) I pretended to hear a phone go off in my pocket, pulled out my phone and left it on the table in front of he saying ''I think you might need this''. I brought out the wrapped box and simply said ''Would you be my bride?'' Of course she said yes and she loves the ring which amazingly fits beautifully, we relaxed from that moment and made lots of phone calls and text messages which I must say she loved getting and then drank some more cocktails and slept so very well for the rest of the week. My appetite returned the next day and we arrived home last night to champagne at the airport with friends who were there to meet us.

Simple, informal and yet it was just perfect. Thanks again for the help and advice, I might need to contact you guys again when it comes to wedding speeches, we are planning on July with a month honeymoon in the USA!!!

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations mburgess!! It sounds like it went off without a hitch! YAY!!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, mburgess007!!! She''s a lucky lady! Now for the important business...we need hand shots, please
36.gif

mburgess007

Rough_Rock
I will try to upload a pic for you guys, not sure how to do that but I''ll sort it out ASAP

caligal

Shiny_Rock
YAY!!
36.gif
36.gif
I love that you handed her the phone saying- you might need this. Perfect- and on the 2nd night- a good compromise between the two extremes! Yes- do get those pics up. You just click on attach a file when you post a message. It will only allow you to send one pic per message- but it will browse through your system- so you''ll just go to your saved pics and upload that way. Can''t wait to see them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results