shape
carat
color
clarity

large garnet collection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

I didn’t want to impose on MakingTheGrades thread, and I’ve never assembled all of my garnets into one picture until now. My gem collection has a little of everything, but the largest grouping is garnets: 61 garnets are pictured here.

The first picture is natural sunlight (shade) so this is actually the worst color balance to show warm yellow, orange and red garnets.

4785daylight.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
The second picture is mixed lighting (incandescent and natural shade). The orange and red garnets are beginning to show their strong, warm colors, and the color change garnets are beginning to show their color change. The exposure is for the whole group, so the very pale and the very dark show poorly in these pictures.

4792mixedlight.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

The front group (left) shows 3 colorless grossular garnets, 3 green grossulars, and 5 tsavorites. The colorless garnets resemble fine white diamonds and are rare beyond belief. It was estimated in Gems & Gemology (about 1979) that only 40 colorless grossulars larger than two carats exist in the world!

The front group (middle) shows 9 yellow to golden grossulars, including a very pale yellow opposed bar cut, and the large square Barion, which was analyzed and pictured in Gems & Gemology.

The front group (right) shows 11 malayas, including one opposed bar AGTA Cutting Edge winner. All of these malayas are not at all typical of Tanzanian malayas, but were selected for their pale tone, brilliance, cutting and lack of brown.

The middle group (extreme left) shows two Mali garnets, that are extremely high in grossular and low in andradite.

The middle group (left) shows 8 pastel pink pyrope and rhodolite garnets.

The middle group (right) shows 6 intensely colored rhodolite garnets, including the octagon cut AGTA Cutting Edge winner.

The middle group (extreme right) shows two Ramona CA spessartites, and one large Nigerian spessartite garnet.

The back group (left) shows two extremely intense and brilliant chrome pyropes. The purplish red one is my avatar.

The back group (right) shows a string of 9 color change (C/C) garnets. Keep in mind the bottom picture is not pure incandescent, it also includes daylight. The right most Bekily Madagascar C/C garnet shifts from blue to magenta, and the second from right round shifts from pastel green to a strong pink-red. A number of the other C/C garnets change from peridot green to orange.

The smallest gem is the Mali green at 0.90 cts, and the largest is the superb 15.90 ct pastel pink pyrope oval. This larger oval and the 9.22 ct malaya heart were cut by Phillip Youngman, a multiple AGTA Cutting Edge winner.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
23.gif
23.gif
18.gif
30.gif
23.gif
18.gif
30.gif
23.gif

I cant pick a favorite, but the largest pink really draws my eye!!!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, I am going to pass out!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I need to print your post with the description, so I can scroll back to the pictures and check each one out.
9.gif

Please, more pictures, at least one for each sub-group?
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Ohmygosh. I yearn to have a collection like yours someday. Gorgeous!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well Mr. Zeolite, yes you can say you have a garnet collection there!!! Pretty impressive.

Can you post closeups on the light green ones?? Pretty please?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am speechless. What a beautiful...gorgeous collection. I can say that I would sit and stare at those beauties all day....
18.gif
18.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You have the collection of my dreams!

I notice you don''t have any demantoid or high andradite Mali''s - any reason, or are they a separate collection?

Can you point me in the direction of anyone/anywhere good for info on pastel garnets - I have one that was a lucky find in SL and was seriously looking at another last year that was even paler.

Only problem was that neither I nor the vendor had any clue on how to price the stone accurately and couldn''t get any real advice as to it''s value. I even went as far as talking to the boffins at the Natural History Museum in London, the staff at Holts etc and no-one could help!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
This is much like me right now:

[two mosquitoes fly near a bug zapper; one flies towards it, as if in a trance]
"Mosquito #1: Harry, no! Don''t look at the light!
Mosquito #2: [entranced] I-can''t-help-it. It''s-so-beautiful.
[Harry gets zapped, falls]
Mosquito #2: Woo
hoo!" ~ A Bug''s Life

Those are all SO PRETTY!
3.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
....Wow....
That is beyond amazing Mr. Zeolite.
I think my favorite is the one at the very top right, the color change garnet that goes blue to purple. That's the prettiest blue garnet I've ever seen!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
OMG that is an amazing collection. I''m drooling over here.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. Yowza.
23.gif

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 5:03:15 PM
Author: Pandora II
You have the collection of my dreams!

I notice you don't have any demantoid or high andradite Mali's - any reason, or are they a separate collection?

Can you point me in the direction of anyone/anywhere good for info on pastel garnets - I have one that was a lucky find in SL and was seriously looking at another last year that was even paler.

Only problem was that neither I nor the vendor had any clue on how to price the stone accurately and couldn't get any real advice as to it's value. I even went as far as talking to the boffins at the Natural History Museum in London, the staff at Holts etc and no-one could help!
demantoids: no mainly because they are too expensive in the quality and size that I demand. I've seen some fine ones at $5,000 or above. However my top tsavorite is well above that. I also haven't seen any top pastel andradites with good dispersion and fine cutting. They are just too rare.

As for the Mali's: i don't care much for the brown or deep orange ones. I have a fine rough Mali that will be similar in color to the diamond shaped mali in the picture above.

Pastel garnet article:

http://gia.metapress.com/content/c3264156617m11u8/

Try to buy a reprint. If no luck, I can photo copy my issue for you. I have all but about 2 Gems & Gemology for the last 27 years. By far the best way to get pastel garnets is to see rough dealers and buy the crystals. Jewelers don't ask for them and collectors snap up the cuts stones, so you will rarely see any. Prices should be about $200 - $300 per carat wholesale, not very high. Color change garnets are much higher, $500 to $2,000 ct wholesale for barely over 1 ct. Two of my CC were in the $2,000 ct range

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOOWOOOGA! What a collection!!!! We want specs! j/k!!
3.gif
30.gif
30.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should open up a garnet museum. I''m sure we''d all buy tickets to get in!
Did you say your wife isn''t into gemstones? HOW is that possible with this collection? Boggles my mind.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 5:12:36 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
....Wow....
That is beyond amazing Mr. Zeolite.
I think my favorite is the one at the very top right, the color change garnet that goes blue to purple. That''s the prettiest blue garnet I''ve ever seen!
I just took these pictures of my top two CC garnets. The left is with a daylight fluorescent (not full spectrum fluorescent). The right is with G.E. Reveal incandescent bulbs.

I think the color in each picture is quite acccurate because:

The pictures were shot in Canon Raw and color balance and exposure was corrected in the conversion to TIFF. Then the TIFF files were imported in to Photoshop, and the hue, saturation, and brightness were adjusted again, as I viewed the actual gem under each light source right next to my computer monitor.

The one you like has equal strength color and tone in each lighting. The round garnet is very weak pale green in fluorescent, and strong saturated pink-red under incandescent.

71127ccgarnets.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Impressive collection.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah, that collection is a garnet lover''s dream!
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And he''s a man so he won''t put them all in rings.
emcry.gif
14.gif

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 4:52:56 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
well Mr. Zeolite, yes you can say you have a garnet collection there!!! Pretty impressive.

O.K. round rose brilliant 2.21 cts, then my darkest green gossular, emerald cut with cardinal crown, 1.22 cts

2ggross.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
WOW, WOW and more WOW!!!!
30.gif

I saved your photos in my favorites so I can stare at them all day....

Lori

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

Another pale mint garnet type, cushion converted to round 2.67 cts; and my lightest tsavorite, shield cut, 0.86 cts

2tsavggross.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will you consider lending your collection to the AMNH? The gem and mineral section needs help.
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 7:44:15 PM
Author: zeolite

Another pale mint garnet type, cushion converted to round 2.67 cts; and my lightest tsavorite, shield cut, 0.86 cts
Thank you Mr. Zeolite!! Would you consider those a blue green, or a straight light green?

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
That last tsavorite shield came out too dark, because I didn''t save the last Photoshop correction. I think this exposure is more accurate. Some people may call this a green grossular, but I consider it a light tsavorite. What do you think?

4806correctedTsav.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Gorgeous collection.

Garnet is my birthstone. I never got a piece of garnet jewelry because I had not seen a garnet in a color other than that red/brown not-so-nice color.

Thanks to all of you for educating me. I think I need to be on the hunt for a nice garnet for myself! I'll let you all know when I start the search so you can help me.

Thanks!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Well since I am early retired, after some time, I expect nearly the entire collection, not just this garnet subsection, will make its way to a museum I have in mind.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 8:06:32 PM
Well since I am early retired, after some time, I expect nearly the entire collection, not just this garnet subsection, will make its way to a museum I have in mind.
Good on you.
Btw, I''d call your shield a Tsavorite.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 7:58:02 PM

Date: 4/17/2009 7:44:15 PM

Thank you Mr. Zeolite!! Would you consider those a blue green, or a straight light green?
To my eye and monitor, the two pastel rounds are a slightly yellowish green, the emerald cut is also very slightly yellowish-green , and the light tsav is also a pure green.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results