shape
carat
color
clarity

Large (>5ct) Emerald Cut

qwdqaegraegr

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for an emerald cut probably 6-8ct range but fairly flexible to put in a 3 stone mount. Budget 100-200k.
Thoughts on this?

1624325296360.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

qwdqaegraegr

Rough_Rock
Thanks - very helpful - I was worried about the dark area in the middle - seems like others have the same feedback

Couple other options right now. Will I-J be a bad color at this size?

8.00 J VVS1
1624719076418.png

8.79 I VS1

Couple others (cant find ASET)

Last one (this aset looks actively bad to me, just including out of curiosity to see if others agree)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What say you @Karl_K ?

On the vertical video it looks like its flashing in the centre but on the video of it on the side it doesn't look like much is going
on in the center so I hesitate to say anything one way or the other. Hopefully, Karl has some wise words!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What say you @Karl_K ?

On the vertical video it looks like its flashing in the centre but on the video of it on the side it doesn't look like much is going
on in the center so I hesitate to say anything one way or the other. Hopefully, Karl has some wise words!
I find it inconclusive.
The video looks better than the ASET implies and the 2 different videos as you note are not in agreement.
That is not unexpected by the difference in the way they are tilted.
For stones in this budget range make a dealer work for your business.
Select one in the diamond district and have them bring in every one possible one and select the best couple by eye backed up by ASET(sometimes the best stone by eye can have an unconventional aset image*) and having a reasonable crown height(not a flat top) to present to you.
If they can not find one in NY then have them go beyond requesting video and images.

*In ASET what your mainly looking for is a bright center and good patterns. Avoid ones with huge areas of white/black or even red or blue that are not broken up into patterns)

Last edited:

qwdqaegraegr

Rough_Rock
thanks @Karl_K - any recs about who to talk to in NYC area? i've heard a lot of people say Brian Gavin for large emerald cut but he's not in nyc

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
p3 area is way to dark in aset

Click on the video to stop it spinning then move the pointer until it is sideways,
The diamond has a tiny crown height.

What a fantastic article! @Karl_K is there an index somewhere of all the articles you have written here?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Depends if you are color sensitive. I am and for step cut, I would personally not go below F, but I think you can probably do G or H. I would prioritize color over absolute carat size, a 6ct still has amazing presence!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks @Karl_K - any recs about who to talk to in NYC area? i've heard a lot of people say Brian Gavin for large emerald cut but he's not in nyc

I would talk to Yuketiel at ID Jewelry. Ask if he can do what Karl outlined above. Its a large stone (with large $$$) so I would think
someone like Yuketiel would be willing to go above and beyond. Ask for Yuketiel specifically.

You could also work with Jonathan at Distinctive Gems.

So much of it will depend on colour sensitivity. I have seen a 13-14ct emerald cut with my own eyes that was an I or J colour if I remember correctly, and it seemed pretty white to me. Not in a jewelry store, on someone’s hand, so not in lighting designed to make it look particularly good OR particularly bad. I would rather take a bigger stone that’s a bit off-white coloured over a smaller pure white one any day.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color sensitivity is definitely something to consider, especially with a step cut. When I was in the market for a much smaller stone ( 2 ct.) I found a beautifully cut emerald cut. It was an I color. I ordered it but when I received it, the I color was showing a bit too much tint for me, and I am not color sensitive. I ended up finding a well cut G color that looks very white to me. I think the larger the stone, the more color it may show so color tolerance is something to consider. If this is for you, and you know your tolerance, then it should be fine, but if for someone else and you don't know their tolerance, then I'd stick to a G at least.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
B2C has two 7.02 J VVS2's, one has fluor and I think it's the nicer one.
  • Stock No : 18997633 Does anyone like this?
I have an L, a K and a J with fluor and they all look whiter than their grade. Only very specific lighting will show the tint.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results