shape
carat
color
clarity

Laptop Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have a laptop that they absolutely love and would buy again?
33.gif

DH and I are in the market for a new laptop. Our old Dell is about to bite the dust, and we''re researching what we want to get as a replacement.
34.gif

The most important feature (to me, anyway) is a HUGE screen . . . like 17 inches or more! I have a big screen on my computer at work, and it has spoiled me! LOL! We will be using our new laptop for pretty basic things like web surfing, word processing, photo and video editing, etc. We would also like to be able to use it to play a few games from time to time, and maybe watch movies every once in a while. Our budget is probably somewhere in the $1,000 to $1,500 range.

Thanks for any advice y''all can give me!
21.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MacBook Pro!!!!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 2:34:02 PM
Author: kenny
MacBook Pro!!!!
17" macbook pro would not be in the 1000-1500 range.
3.gif

I have had my HP dv6000 for nearly 2 years and havent had a single issue. I think my monitor is 15.4... but I''m sure HP makes bigger ones! Mine was 900, and I can play World of Warcraft no problem, so movies are absolutely easy on the laptop.

My FI spent nearly 1500 on his Lenovo since its supposed to be business class, and it sucks.
20.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 2:34:02 PM
Author: kenny
MacBook Pro!!!!
I was more or less going to say the same thing. I have a 5+ year old PowerBook and I love love love it. When this one dies, a MacBook Pro will take its place.
1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry.
MacBook for $999 and MacBook Pro for $1199.

I'm just an apple guy
36.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
HP dv7t. If I happen to stop buying PCs, I''d get a MacBook Pro, but I think I''m going to be a HP guy.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve had about five Mac laptops thus far, and I''ve loved every one of them.
I''ve had so many because my family members keep upgrading their laptops and giving me their old ones, which are usually only one or two years old. It''s not that they keep breaking or anything! They''re fabulous machines.

DH just bought the 13" Macbook Pro and he loves it. I''m now using his old MacBook, and I love that, too.

DH''s new MacBook came with a free iPod, so I finally upgraded my second generation iPod (circa 2003) to a sweet new touchscreen iPod. It''s so much smaller than my old brick!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Macbook and I love it.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GAH! I was afraid you''d all say "Mac, Mac, Mac!" The problem is, I''m a little scared to switch to a Mac. I''ve heard that they''re very different from PCs, and I''m SOOOO used to Windows. They are very cool, though! I could probably be persuaded to go to a Mac, but DH . . . well . . . not so much. He''s a PC and he''s 31.
3.gif

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! Keep them coming!
9.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
MacBook Pro. Wouldn't get anything else.

My son has a program on the Mac that runs Windows. He can switch between them. He uses the Apple OS for internet searches and email. But uses the Windows side for some engineering. However he has recently found the Mac programs for his engineering and like using those better. But he still occasionally needs to switch and it works very smoothly.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Irishgrrl--If you''re really considering a Mac, why not spend some time in an Apple store playing around on a laptop? You can browse PS while you''re there, and see how it feels.

I''ve always used both PCs (at work) and Macs (at home) and I''ve never had a problem switching between the two. However, I primarily only use the Internet and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I liked my Thinkpad until yesterday, when it crashed.
14.gif
I never in a million years thought I''d say this, but I think our next computer will be a Mac.

One of the new macs I bought was a down grade actually, from a 15" screen to the 13" macbook pro. The speakers are ok. The 13" starts at $1200 and the 15" starts at $1700 and the 17" *drool* starts at $2500

.. is the laptop going to be used as a home computer too? (Like a desktop?) If so, I would try to get a computer with bells and whistles. If you also have a desktop and the laptop is for more minor things, I reaaaallly don''t think the 13" is bad. (And this is from me who also has a 24" iMac) ....

I will stress that the 13" is soooo light! and keeps a charge better than my previous 15" Sony Vaio. The Apple Care plan (at least where I am) is also another $250 or so... but macs are SOOOO FUN.

Another thing about Macs, their screen is delicious! It''s so crisp and clear and... ooooo I love my mac''s :)

*get one! get one!*

Date: 9/18/2009 3:32:35 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
GAH! I was afraid you''d all say ''Mac, Mac, Mac!'' The problem is, I''m a little scared to switch to a Mac. I''ve heard that they''re very different from PCs, and I''m SOOOO used to Windows. They are very cool, though! I could probably be persuaded to go to a Mac, but DH . . . well . . . not so much. He''s a PC and he''s 31.
3.gif

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! Keep them coming!
9.gif

Alrighty.

They have this amazing thing that you can sign up for when you get a mac called "One-to-One". It''s $99 and it''s for a year of them helping you! Why pay for it, right? Well, what you do is reserve a time with an apple smarty-pants and they help you for an hour. You bring your computer in and they sit there with you and can show you were things are, what does what, how to do this and that... it''s worth it! I bought it and you can also take workshops with it. It really is fun.

One more thing, I swear! If you need microsoft office, or excel, go into an apple store and ask about iWork 09 and how to use it with microsoft products... ;-) it''s WAY cheaper.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I probably should have mentioned: The laptop is our *only* home computer.
5.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I just recently in the past few days ordered a new laptop from Dell. My new laptop is nowhere near the price range that you guys are talking about, but I did consider mac. I am scared of mac. I am such a windows person which I know is insane espcially since I am fairly young and should be more open to new things.

For the mac-ers out there, what makes mac better?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I mentioned the possibility of a Mac to DH just now. Here''s how THAT conversation went:

Me: "Ya know, a lot of people on PS are suggesting a Mac . . . "
5.gif

Him: "NOOOOO WAAAAAY!!! THEY''RE WAY TOO OVERPRICED!!! WE NEED TO SET A BUDGET AND STICK TO IT!!!"
38.gif

20.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2009 3:20:53 PM
Author: pennquaker09
HP dv7t. If I happen to stop buying PCs, I''d get a MacBook Pro, but I think I''m going to be a HP guy.
Penn, this is one that we''re very seriously considering. Do you really love yours? Did you have to buy a bunch of options (like Dell makes you do), or do they come pretty much fully loaded?

cara

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t need the processing power of the macbook pro, get the macbook and then a separate bigscreen monitor. This will help you stay in budget. No point spending the extra money to get that big a screen tied to a computer. ergonomically, its better to separate the keyboard from the screen anyway and a nice big screen should outlast your average computer.

I need the processing power and like having the 15" screen at least, so have gotton 15" macbook pros, but have a separate big screen setup with separate keyboard and mouse for hooking it up to when I want. Plus the 17" laptop is pushing it on portability, if that''s part of why you are getting a laptop.

Heck, even if you don''t go with a mac I''d think about having an external monitor and getting a reasonable size laptop screen.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Irish, I was a lifetime PC user but then switched to MacBook in April and now I loooove it! I got the aluminum one (about $1500, including free printer) and I love the things that you can do on the touchpad. I still don''t like how small the screen (13" compared to my 15" Toshiba) but I couldn''t justify dropping an extra $500 for the MacBook Pro.
I have to admit, I did enjoy my Toshiba until it got super super slow and clogged with virus.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was a lifetime windows user and just switched to a MacBook Pro about 2 weeks ago. Hubby was totally against it until we went to Best Buy and the Apple representative gave us a demonstration. Hubby asked all kinds of questions and was impressed. He was warming to the idea, and then one of his coworkers brought his MacBook to work and talked to hubby about it. After that, he had no problem with me getting one. I love this laptop!

Before this one, I had a Toshiba, HP, and Compaq. Out of those, the Toshiba lasted the longest. The screen went out after a few years and the repair was too costly, so I bought the HP. I liked the HP, but the power jack went out 3 times and I had to keep sending it back to HP for repair. After the 3rd time the power jack went out, the keyboard started having problems so I bought the Compaq. That computer was a junk from day one, and I should have taken it back. It had a dual core processor, but it was soooo slooooow. I had it for 1 month past the warranty when it crashed altogether. So far hubby hasn''t been able to keep it going long enough to get my files off of it.

Hubby is still using an HP laptop he bought probably 4 or 5 years ago, and has never had problems at all.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sony Vaio? I''m on my second one. Daughter is on her first. Other daughter has MacBookPro for graphic work. I''ve had 2 HP''s with endless problems. I''ll probably upgrade next year or the following year to another Vaio.

I will really advise against the regular macbook- for the extra $150 you get a way better screen, the nicer case, and it''s a bit faster.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 7:44:26 PM
Date: 9/18/2009 3:20:53 PM

Author: pennquaker09

Penn, this is one that we''re very seriously considering. Do you really love yours? Did you have to buy a bunch of options (like Dell makes you do), or do they come pretty much fully loaded?

Actually, I have the TouchSmart notebook that HP sells, but when I was shopping around the dv7t was the one that was recommended.

I went over to the HP site and I played around with the customization of the notebook. Essentially, you could buy the recommended configuration from HP at $1078.99 (black, $1103.99 for white) and not have to add anything other than a supplemental warranty. I''d recommend adding the TV tuner for an additional $75.00, however.

However, if you wanted to customize it, the price starts at $799.

I didn''t want to recommend the notebook I have because it''s 12 inches and you mentioned you wanted something with a 17 inch screen.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Mac. You will never go back. There''s a reason we''re all shouting for it!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 7:41:23 PM
OK, I mentioned the possibility of a Mac to DH just now. Here's how THAT conversation went:

Me: 'Ya know, a lot of people on PS are suggesting a Mac . . . '
5.gif

Him: 'NOOOOO WAAAAAY!!! THEY'RE WAY TOO OVERPRICED!!! WE NEED TO SET A BUDGET AND STICK TO IT!!!'
38.gif

20.gif
Before I got my Mac, my dad, brothers and friends (most of whom are in the computer industry or big time computer geeks) tried for the better part of a YEAR to convince me to get a PC instead of a Mac because Macs were too expensive. The thing is, though, that all the PCs I had used prior to getting my Mac would crash all the time or get really weird error messages for mystery problems that would always stress me out. My family and friends would say, "Oh that's not REALLY a problem; it just means blahdeeblah" or "that's no big deal, I'll fix it for you." But I HATED not being able to rely on my computer--it never worked when I really needed it to work. Macs had the reputation of being more reliable, so I considered the difference in price an investment, and started to save for a Mac. My family and friends continued to try to talk me out of it, and show me cheaper PC laptops, and say things like, "Well, when your Mac breaks down, who will fix it? Not us!"

I've had my Mac for over 5 years now, and it hasn't broken down. Ever. Hasn't crashed. Ever. Hasn't stopped working when I needed it. Ever. The only thing that's not working is the 'i' key, and that's because I wore it out through so much use.
3.gif
(Still get by just fine through copy & paste
2.gif
). For a 5+ year old laptop, it is amazing, and my next laptop will 100% certainly be another Mac. Paying some extra money at the outset is totally worth the peace of mind of knowing that my machine will just WORK, for years and years. I have never experienced that feeling with a PC, not even for a month. They always (in my experience) have things going wrong with them.

That probably won't change your husband's mind, but just in case he isn't totally irrational about dismissing them....they really are wonderful machines.
1.gif

PS: My work laptop is a Sony Vaio which is less than 3 years old and it has lots of little things wrong with it and will randomly not start up from time to time. The tech guy at work wants to replace it for me but there's no money for a new one, so I have to cross my fingers every time I need it to teach.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 7:35:56 PM
Author: radiantquest
I just recently in the past few days ordered a new laptop from Dell. My new laptop is nowhere near the price range that you guys are talking about, but I did consider mac. I am scared of mac. I am such a windows person which I know is insane espcially since I am fairly young and should be more open to new things.

For the mac-ers out there, what makes mac better?
What makes mac better...oh lord, where to start. I'll make a shortlist. Fellow mac-ers, help me out! (Also, somebody notify Apple of this thread, so they know where to send the cheque
3.gif
)

1. I've had mac for over 3 years. Not once has it crashed, frozen, lost my files, gotten any kind of virus (no anti-virus software) etc... It just works.

2. I'll never forget the first time I plugged it into a printer...and the file just printed. No fuss. Comes with a CD pre-loaded with all printer drivers.

3. Holds its charge v well. My 3 year old mac would give over three hours of constant use.

4. It's just so easy. Forget everything you had to learn with PC. I don't know how to describe how easy and user-friendly it is without actually showing you, but here's two examples that just always make me think "ah...simple as that!" - 1) The light for "caps lock" is on the caps lock key. Simple. No pressing a key on one side of the keyboard, and looking for a light on the other. 2) You know when you go into safely remove hardware on PC? Right click...safely remove...find the device...double click..."stop"...safe to remove. Mac: Drag the hardware icon (always on the desktop) to the eject button on the bottom right corner of the screen. Simple. Those aren't ground-breaking things, but when literally everything on Mac is just those few steps easier than on PC, it makes it a dream.

5. Apple designs the hardware. Apple designs the software. So it all works together. Easy peasy.

6. Just say something were to freeze. The program freezes. Not the whole computer. So your Safari browser freezes lets say. Everything else on the screen still works, all the other programs. So you just hit "End Now", Safari closes, everything else remains unharmed.

7. The software is fantastic, at least from my point of view. Photo software, DVD software...all the iLife and iWork software is just so user-friendly.

8. MobileMe. Wonderful. Everything document (and pics etc if I so chose) gets compressed into a tiny zip file and backed up on my computer, and also online. I access my @mac.com address from any other computer, and I can download any document - I pretty much have my desktop in front of me. Brilliant.

9. It is one sturdy machine. I drop it, knock it off my lap/the table etc quite an embarrassing number of times. I have dropped it about halfway down my wooden staircase twice. TWICE! There's a couple of chips in the plastic case.

10. It's pretty. Very, very pretty. And the screen quality is wonderful.

OK, the list goes on and on, and I'm rambling. But you asked
2.gif

Oh PS one thing I don't like - the speakers. They're just not really loud enough for watching a movie with a few people. Fine for say two people watching in bed or something, fine for Skype calls, ok for listening to music while getting ready in your room etc. Not loud enough for much else.
Also, there are some programs that don't work with mac. I've never come across one yet that I needed to use, but I know it has probably happened to others.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results