shape
carat
color
clarity

Laminate or Carpet for Hallway

Carpet or Laminate?

• Laminate the whole house. No one wants carpet!!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don''t care what you do with your hallway!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
DH and I are shopping for wood laminate flooring for our living room and kitchen. There is a hallway off the kitchen that is long and narrow. Three bedrooms, a bath, and 2 closets are off the hall. We have intentions of putting new carpet in the bedrooms eventually. (the carpet will match in all rooms) We hope to sell this house within the next few years. Our house is small and would be suitable for an older couple or a small family. We figure carpet in the bedrooms would keep old people feet warm and it would be softer for small children. But, laminate is not off the table if that is what would sell best.

Should we extend the laminate down the hall or do the carpeting that will be in the bedrooms?

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Flooring is a personal thing, but I know DH and I definitely prefer laminate or hardwood or bamboo or something to carpet. He''s got bad dust allergies, used to have asthma as a kid. We''d rather have some kind of hard flooring that''s easy to keep clean, with the option to put down an area rug if we''d like at some point. But that''s just us.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
No carpet in the hallways, ever! They will need to be replaced before you are planning.

We are building right now, and decided to do carpet in the bedrooms and closets and tile everywhere else. My DH and I prefer to feel something soft when you get out of bed in the morning. It is a personal choice. I also feel like carpet helps give the bedrooms a warmer/cozier feel.

With the said, we are using a carpet with a VERY low pile. Burbor is a very good option if you don''t want the fluffy stuff
3.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
for sure laminate-easier to clean, looks better, better for allergies.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
if you are putting wood in the large rooms, i would continue with that in the hallways and have the carpet start in the bedrooms. that''s how most houses we''ve seen have it.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer laminate in the whole house, with tile in bathroom/kitchen. My DH prefers carpte in master bedroom only. Laminate is far easier to keep clean and allergy free, and throw rugs are readily available and can be changed as often as you want.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have laminated flooring right through the downstairs. I hate it. My poor dog is really struggling to walk on it. I won''t carpet the hallway as it leads from the front door, but I intend on carpeting the other rooms at some point.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like carpeting in bedrooms. If the halls are off the main rooms with laminate I would go with that for a better flow.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Definitely laminate, especially for the high traffic areas of the house. Personally, I don''t care for wall-to-wall carpeting. I''d much rather a few nice throw rugs scattered around the house. Much cleaner, and easier upkeep.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I voted for laminate everywhere. I lived in 2 different houses growing up with real wood in the bedrooms and loved it. You can always put a rug down if your feet get cold and I think it will look nicer after a year or two. Carpet gets flat and dingy. If you don''t go for laminate everywhere then definitely put it in the hallway at least!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
If you were going to put hardwoods in I would suggest all the rooms, but there is a real physical coldness in laminate (attributed to not being a natural product). I definitely think you should put it in the high traffic area of the hallway and place carpet in the bedrooms.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for laminate in the hallway with carpet in the bedrooms. I think it looks nicer and if the new owners don''t like the carpet they can always tear it up and put something else in. What''s under it now? Hardwood or something icky? Our house has hardwoods throughout with peel n stick vinyl in the kitchen and (new!) linoleum in the bathroom. It''s easy to clean and looks nice.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 6:42:04 PM
Author: heraanderson
If you were going to put hardwoods in I would suggest all the rooms, but there is a real physical coldness in laminate (attributed to not being a natural product). I definitely think you should put it in the high traffic area of the hallway and place carpet in the bedrooms.
Agreed.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for laminate in the hallway and leave the carpet in the bedroom area.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the responses.

I''ve never had laminate flooring, only real hardwoods, so I hadn''t even considered the "extra" cold of the product. I think that fact solidifies my decision for carpet in the bedrooms. We will be having 2 little ones in here for a couple years (at least) before we sell.

There is just sub-flooring under the carpet. Couldn''t get lucky enough for hardwood!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 7:55:04 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Thanks for the responses.

I''ve never had laminate flooring, only real hardwoods, so I hadn''t even considered the ''extra'' cold of the product. I think that fact solidifies my decision for carpet in the bedrooms. We will be having 2 little ones in here for a couple years (at least) before we sell.

There is just sub-flooring under the carpet. Couldn''t get lucky enough for hardwood!!
I voted all laminate; but that was before I read this!

I picked up on your wish to sell and voted for laminate because it wears well and can look like new, even a few years in.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Halls are high traffic areas, so I would put in laminate to match the living room and kitchen. I like carpet in bedrooms. We have hardwood floors in our living room, dining room and hall, tile in the kitchen and baths, and carpet in the bedrooms.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re going to go with carpet, I think Berber would be ideal. Personally, I would just do the laminate throughout, but make sure that you have a good under layer because laminate tends to produce a clicking sound if there isn''t a under layer.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the responses!

I found a laminate that I love!!! It''s called Dark Cherry Walnut. (I know, pick one, right??) The color looks great with the kitchen and living room colors, the hall is just white so that''s not an issue.

The laminate I found actually has an underlayment (blue foam thing) attached to the pieces and you''re not supposed to use an additional underlayment. Has anyone got any experience with this?? It seems weird that it''s on the product instead of rolled out.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 9:53:57 AM
Author: somethingshiny
Thanks for all the responses!

I found a laminate that I love!!! It's called Dark Cherry Walnut. (I know, pick one, right??) The color looks great with the kitchen and living room colors, the hall is just white so that's not an issue.

The laminate I found actually has an underlayment (blue foam thing) attached to the pieces and you're not supposed to use an additional underlayment. Has anyone got any experience with this?? It seems weird that it's on the product instead of rolled out.
Glad you found something you like!

I haven't had experience with that, but I think I would prefer a thin pad underneath as well. Just me though. If you attach the pad to the back, doesn't that take away the "float" aspect that the floors are supposed to have?

ETA: Here is an article... looks like it is jsut for convenience. (However, this says that you still need a vapor barier as well.)
http://homerenovations.about.com/b/2009/07/31/pergo-accolade-laminate-flooring-with-attached-underlayment.htm

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mere. The laminate we like is on sale and even WITH the underlayment attached, it''s quite a bit less than the naked laminate. We''ll still definitely get the moisture barrier.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you say laminate, are you talking about a Pergo-like product or are you talking about a nice wood over not so nice wood-type product. We had cherry colored pergo floors in our old house and I hated them. Yes they withstood a lot of abuse from our dog and DH''s work boots, but they were a royal PITA to keep clean because they were constantly hazy, even after washing them.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
HH~ Thanks for posting. We''re looking at a Pergo type product. My grandma has the same brand in her house and I''ve never noticed it looking hazy, but hers is very light. The instructions say to just mist with water or a mild detergent mixed with water and dry mop. I was hoping a swiffer would take care of the day to day dirt. I have a sample of the product so I will dirty it up a bit and see what happens after cleaning it a few different ways. Thanks again, I always thought laminate was supposed to be easy!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 3:51:40 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
When you say laminate, are you talking about a Pergo-like product or are you talking about a nice wood over not so nice wood-type product. We had cherry colored pergo floors in our old house and I hated them. Yes they withstood a lot of abuse from our dog and DH''s work boots, but they were a royal PITA to keep clean because they were constantly hazy, even after washing them.

Haven what you''re referring to I believe is an engineered floor. That would be like mdf or plywood with a veneer top. A laminate is all man made material with a photocopy of wood under a clear film that sometimes has a realistic texture.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results