shape
carat
color
clarity

Lake Como, Torino, etc...neatfreak and others

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
So now my curiosity is piqued. Neatfreak, could you tell me more about Lake Como and Torino? I know you lived there for a time, and the area looks gorgeous in pictures. What would you recommend as far as places to stay, things to do, other areas to see (in July), etc? The Olympic Park is a must, that much I know. Any tips you''d recommend?

Also, you''re in MA, right? We''re not too far away from one another.
1.gif

Thanks for your help!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Zoe,

I don''t have much time now, as I''m on the way out the door for classes. I''ll gather some info and post for you later!

Right now I am living in WI actually, but I am from MA originally.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted some info on your other Thread the one about Hawaii, Italy and Ireland. Lake Como is gorgeous but not touristy at all and more slow paced. I would throw another city in there; Venice maybe.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe,

I am so sorry I completely forgot to answer you.

Torino is fantastic IMO. For sights there is a little bit of everything...

Within an hour is the alps, whichs makes a nice summer or winter trip. If you've never been, it's amazing.
Torino has the second largest egyptian museum (only beaten by Cairo!)
It has an amazing cinematography museum. It is SO COOL! It's inside the Mole Antoinella, which basically is to Torino what the Eiffel Tower is to Paris. Google it, it's GORGEOUS! You can ride to the top and see everything in the city and the alps beyond...stunning.
There's Via Garibali which has all the shopping you could want and great flea markets and outdoor markets to boot.Everything from Benetton to high end jewelry, hermes, and gucci.
Torino was also the original capital of Italy, so there are castles and forts...all kinds of historical fun.
If you're religious it is also where the Shroud of Turin is located. They only pull it out for certain occasions, but a replica is on display all the time. I've see both (I was there during the Jubilee celebration when it was on display) and the replica is VERY good. Even if you're not religious it's still a cool "science" mystery.
Food is also incredible. Piedmonte is known for some of the best food around including truffles, Asti Spumante, Barolo wines, etc.
I could go on and on...but those are some of the best things to me.

Lake Como is classy and relaxing and gorgeous. George Clooney and Versace have mansions on the lake. Enough said. Very nice place to go for shopping, swimming, and lazing around. Also nice because it is more of an upscale place without a ton of kids running around. Can be very busy in the summer.

Let me know if you have more questions!!!

ETA: Since I lived there and wasn't visiting I don't have a ton of places to recommend to stay. If you're looking for really cheap digs, the youth hostel in Torino is actually pretty great. Some friends stayed there when they came to visit. Otherwise, my parents stayed at Hotel Diplomat when they came and it was a good location and pretty decent. If you find places you want to stay in Torino I can let you know if it's in a good neighborhood, etc. but that's about it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. Neatfreak, you''ve definitely given me a lot to think about. THANK YOU so much for all your help. I''ve tried to post on The Knot but I always have trouble and it never works. Oh well. As I wrote in my other post, I''m sure I''ll have mmorme questions over time but this is a great place to start.
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
When were you living there neatfreak? I lived in Como for 2 years from 1997 - 1999. I used to work for Mantero Seta and Ratti as a tie designer. I had a fantastic time and was really sad to leave.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 1:08:31 PM
Author: Pandora II
When were you living there neatfreak? I lived in Como for 2 years from 1997 - 1999. I used to work for Mantero Seta and Ratti as a tie designer. I had a fantastic time and was really sad to leave.

I was living in Torino from 2000-2001. I would have killed to live in Como! Love it there!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results