shape
carat
color
clarity

ladies watch questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 10:56:07 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Date: 11/27/2006 8:33:52 PM
Author: diamondlove
Can any of the watch ''experts'' chime in on how you would order the quality v. prestige of the following watch brands? I''m now unsure if I want a Cartier after some research since I want to make sure I''m getting great workmanship as well as the look I like. I have read a lot of conflicting things. What are your thoughts on the order of brands including Rolex, Cartier, Baume & Mercier, Omega, Tag Heuer, Movado, Ebel? Please include any other brand in the similar price range that you think beats these brands for women.
Quality and features are more important to me than name brand. Or maybe not since I''ve read all of the posts in this thread. Now I think I need a nice watch to go with my ring....
23.gif
NO stay with me ::smelling salts:: It''s one thing to drop the green on a *diamond* - right? I think with the watc though I''ll do cheap watch and trip to italy :D

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Concord Impressario SS quartz that I love and find myself wearing just about every day. I think it''s a great everyday watch and I get a ton of compliments. I also have a 14kt yellow and tri color gold Geneve that I never wear anymore now that I have the Concord.

cmsconcord2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous watch, Catmom! Very much what I like. Of course, virtually all the watches posted in this thread have been beautiful and classy.

I priced the Rolexes yesterday and those were in the $5000-6000 range, so I am going to look awhile. I know some of these others are in the $3000 range, and if you get them at 20-30% off, it brings them within the realm of reason. There''s a Raymond Weill two-tone similar to the one posted on this thread at Costco for "only" $899. It looks as though good watches are out there at a discount, but you have to be careful about the return policies. So far Costco sounds really good, but they have a limited selection. I saw that Overstock.com has lots more of these fine watches, but I think returning something there would be a giant hassle.

Of course, I really like my $200 Citizen Eco-Drive (no battery, light powered) I bought online, so it''s not like I am walking around with no watch! But it is fun to dream about a fine watch, and I''ll pick one up when I can find a great deal on one I love!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 11:56:44 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Of course, I really like my $200 Citizen Eco-Drive (no battery, light powered) I bought online, so it''s not like I am walking around with no watch! But it is fun to dream about a fine watch, and I''ll pick one up when I can find a great deal on one I love!
I bought one of those for my husband and he and I both love it - he said he wanted a grown up watch that wasn''t digital so I got him one that is all dials but has functions out the yang. Kinda as a joke but it''s very handsome. I guess I''m not a brand name sort of gal.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
If I had a few grand to spare on a watch, I think I would get a Longines Evidenza.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not to confuse the matter ... but this photo is new on the Celeb Bling thread ... and I LOVE Jennifer Garner''s watch (as well as her C''EST CHIC plain band/eternity ring/pink channel set diamond band combo)

Can''t quite tell but I''m guessing Cartier?? Any other guesses?

jengarnerwatch.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2006 12:15:36 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 11/28/2006 11:56:44 AM

I bought one of those for my husband and he and I both love it - he said he wanted a grown up watch that wasn''t digital so I got him one that is all dials but has functions out the yang. Kinda as a joke but it''s very handsome. I guess I''m not a brand name sort of gal.
I know Cehra...I''m really not either. It''s an illness one acquires on here! I really do like my current watch and do have trouble seeing how another one could cost 10 times more when they are both stainless steel and have quartz insides! I''ll try to recover and become practical again!
2.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Can any of the watch ''experts'' chime in on how you would order the quality v. prestige of the following watch brands? I''m now unsure if I want a Cartier after some research since I want to make sure I''m getting great workmanship as well as the look I like. I have read a lot of conflicting things. What are your thoughts on the order of brands including Rolex, Cartier, Baume & Mercier, Omega, Tag Heuer, Movado, Ebel? Please include any other brand in the similar price range that you think beats these brands for women.

Nothing is bad. They really don''t make bad quality watches anymore once you cross the $50 price range. If you''re talking swiss watches, other than a select few of high end watch makers, you''re pretty much holding a watch with Swatch innards. Any difference at that point just depends on how much a company modifies that basic Swatch piece(s).

If you insist, here''s how I''d rank things. This, of course, is purely personal opinion and I am, by no means, an expert, just more of a watch fan. And this is for right now, not counting the incredible achievements that may have happened in the past.

Quality: Rolex with Omega slightly behind. The others are just in a class down with no real difference, altho I''d put Ebel last.

Prestige: Rolex & Cartier have the highest prestige. Baume & Mercier should be up there, but it fluctuates with Omega and Tag Heuer depending on the audience. Movado comes next. Ebel trails the pack. Prestige tends to follow price... too closely IMO, but that''s the way it is.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Codex. But you also have to factor in age. Those of us in our mid-twenties to maybe thirties go for the blinged out Tags. They're sportier and more suitable for really active lifestyles. I have gone diving in mine (it's water resistant up to 200 feet) and all sorts of high-adrenaline adventures. Despite the bling, it is built like a tank and roughs it very well!
31.gif

Rolexes are beautiful, I agree. I do respect this brand and I love the sweeping second hand. They are very lovely in person. We bought my MIL her first gold Rolex 2 years ago for her 60th. She loves it so much and it suits her perfectly. The bracelet design has been around for so long it's reached iconic status. But they also remind me of my mom's St. John knit suits. Beautiful, classy but more for the 40+ ladies who lunch crowd.

I know Rolex has new models out that look somewhat like the Tag Heuers but I think they should stick with their classic look. Maybe when we hit 35 we'll get Rolexes, but even then... I think my next watch will be a Cartier tank. We have a few years to go!

I guess I'm all about functionality and design at this point in my life. If it were more of a hobby, I would appreciate them for fine timepieces. But I'm a girl and I care more about style! And like you said, if you are spending thousands on a watch -- you will not get a total dud. At a certain level, you surpass the "fashion watch" stage.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2006 3:25:56 PM
Author: codex57

Nothing is bad. They really don''t make bad quality watches anymore once you cross the $50 price range. If you''re talking swiss watches, other than a select few of high end watch makers, you''re pretty much holding a watch with Swatch innards. Any difference at that point just depends on how much a company modifies that basic Swatch piece(s).

If you insist, here''s how I''d rank things. This, of course, is purely personal opinion and I am, by no means, an expert, just more of a watch fan. And this is for right now, not counting the incredible achievements that may have happened in the past.

Quality: Rolex with Omega slightly behind. The others are just in a class down with no real difference, altho I''d put Ebel last.

Prestige: Rolex & Cartier have the highest prestige. Baume & Mercier should be up there, but it fluctuates with Omega and Tag Heuer depending on the audience. Movado comes next. Ebel trails the pack. Prestige tends to follow price... too closely IMO, but that''s the way it is.
This is great information! But I have to ask one thing related to the quality part. The ladies Omega Constellation I was looking at was quartz, so why would it be above the others (besides Rolex)?

Interesting on the prestige part. Movado is generally lower priced than the Ebels from what I have looked at. Lots of Movados in the $500 range. Of course, that is good, especially if they are as "good" as the Ebels!

So basically, if you want a prestige watch, go with Rolex and Cartier. But other than that, you may as well go with the least expensive one you can find in a style you like.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 6:22:05 PM

This is great information! But I have to ask one thing related to the quality part. The ladies Omega Constellation I was looking at was quartz, so why would it be above the others (besides Rolex)?

Interesting on the prestige part. Movado is generally lower priced than the Ebels from what I have looked at. Lots of Movados in the $500 range. Of course, that is good, especially if they are as 'good' as the Ebels!

So basically, if you want a prestige watch, go with Rolex and Cartier. But other than that, you may as well go with the least expensive one you can find in a style you like.

Quality differences in Quartz watches are less than mechanical ones. However, Omega is one of the watch companies that cares about the innards as well as the outer case. I'm not positive about the quartz Constellation, but if any improvements were made to the basic ETA movement, Omega is the likeliest candidate to make those improvements. Cartier and Baume will take good care of the cases as well, but in general, I have more confidence that the Omega movement will have an improvement if any exist. Omega's a watch co that cares about the style. Cartier is just a style house that has watches in its collection.

If you really care about quality in a quartz watch, I'd just get a Seiko or Citizen. If you buy other quartz watches, they may have those companies movements in them (like Skagen uses Citizen movements).

With quartz tho, it's really hard to find a bad quality quartz movement. There's not that much to them. That cheapy one you find in a Happy Meal would be fine and reliable. A $75 Seiko will be more accurate than that $10,000 Rolex with its automatic mechanical movement. So, if you're looking at a quartz watch, just get the one whose style you like the best. Don't worry too much about the quality.

But yeah, if you're looking for prestige, you go Rolex or Cartier. Younger folks like Tags cuz they're sportier. I was trying to look older so I got an Omega, in part cuz it wasn't a Tag. I must be looking at the expensive Movados cuz they're always around $1000 or so. I put Ebel last mainly cuz Movado seems to be known more. Again, that's just my personal opinion tho.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 3:12:14 PM

I know Cehra...I''m really not either. It''s an illness one acquires on here! I really do like my current watch and do have trouble seeing how another one could cost 10 times more when they are both stainless steel and have quartz insides! I''ll try to recover and become practical again!
2.gif
this place makes me want to live in luxury but I have to remind myself that the reason we can afford what we can is because we haven''t been living in luxury... oy, catch 22!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2006 6:49:45 PM

Quality differences in Quartz watches are less than mechanical ones. However, Omega is one of the watch companies that cares about the innards as well as the outer case. I''m not positive about the quartz Constellation, but if any improvements were made to the basic ETA movement, Omega is the likeliest candidate to make those improvements. Cartier and Baume will take good care of the cases as well, but in general, I have more confidence that the Omega movement will have an improvement if any exist. Omega''s a watch co that cares about the style. Cartier is just a style house that has watches in its collection.

If you really care about quality in a quartz watch, I''d just get a Seiko or Citizen. If you buy other quartz watches, they may have those companies movements in them (like Skagen uses Citizen movements).

With quartz tho, it''s really hard to find a bad quality quartz movement. There''s not that much to them. That cheapy one you find in a Happy Meal would be fine and reliable. A $75 Seiko will be more accurate than that $10,000 Rolex with its automatic mechanical movement. So, if you''re looking at a quartz watch, just get the one whose style you like the best. Don''t worry too much about the quality.

But yeah, if you''re looking for prestige, you go Rolex or Cartier. Younger folks like Tags cuz they''re sportier. I was trying to look older so I got an Omega, in part cuz it wasn''t a Tag. I must be looking at the expensive Movados cuz they''re always around $1000 or so. I put Ebel last mainly cuz Movado seems to be known more. Again, that''s just my personal opinion tho.
You sure are a wealth of of information! All the Movado''s I''ve looked at were either on ebay or discount sites. They''ve generally run lower than the Concord and Ebel, but it may just be that you and I are looking at different pricing structures. The ones I''ve seen at $500 were probably 50% off.

The funny thing is, when I was looking at a site today, I saw a Seiko that was a Rolex imitation and thought I could get about 20 of those for the price of one Rolex! Lol! My Citizen Eco-Drive is looking better and better! I''m also afraid I must be too old for a Tag! I am so glad we had this conversation!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2006 1:12:28 AM

Date: 11/27/2006 10:56:07 PM

Quality and features are more important to me than name brand. Or maybe not since I''ve read all of the posts in this thread. Now I think I need a nice watch to go with my ring....
23.gif
NO stay with me ::smelling salts:: It''s one thing to drop the green on a *diamond* - right? I think with the watc though I''ll do cheap watch and trip to italy :D
PLEASE pass the smelling salts!!! I thought you meant I could buy a nice watch cheaply in Italy.
6.gif

Where can I travel and get a FAB deal on a watch? "Honey we must vacation in _________ cause they have GREAT watch prices!"
11.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2006 8:38:43 PM

Date: 11/28/2006 1:12:28 AM

PLEASE pass the smelling salts!!! I thought you meant I could buy a nice watch cheaply in Italy.
6.gif

Where can I travel and get a FAB deal on a watch? ''Honey we must vacation in _________ cause they have GREAT watch prices!''
11.gif
Hey, now that sounds promising, SH!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My TJMax has Movado watches. Two today. They don''t really appeal to me. But if you like them you might want to check out your TJMax.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wouldn''t be my first choice, but if you had a collection, I think I''d like to have one with the black face for variety.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2006 8:32:43 PM

But yeah, if you''re looking for prestige, you go Rolex or Cartier. Younger folks like Tags cuz they''re sportier. I was trying to look older so I got an Omega, in part cuz it wasn''t a Tag. I must be looking at the expensive Movados cuz they''re always around $1000 or so. I put Ebel last mainly cuz Movado seems to be known more. Again, that''s just my personal opinion tho.
You sure are a wealth of of information! All the Movado''s I''ve looked at were either on ebay or discount sites. They''ve generally run lower than the Concord and Ebel, but it may just be that you and I are looking at different pricing structures. The ones I''ve seen at $500 were probably 50% off.

The funny thing is, when I was looking at a site today, I saw a Seiko that was a Rolex imitation and thought I could get about 20 of those for the price of one Rolex! Lol! My Citizen Eco-Drive is looking better and better! I''m also afraid I must be too old for a Tag! I am so glad we had this conversation!
I started with a Seiko watch for the features and durability.

Then I got a Pulsar Solar for the lack of battery and the two tone look.

Next I stopped wearing a watch altogether.

Of course my husband has an antique Omega and I''ve always been a little jealous... And now that my ring is so nice it may need a nice watch. LOL like my ring has needs.
21.gif
So I''ve been looking.

I used to like the Rolex look. Now I''m older. I think I''ll go look at the Tags and see if I really have gotten old...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! Well, there were some Tags that I liked before I learned that they were the young people''s watch! I probably should look at the Omegas.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess when Tag says "highly exclusive edition" it means I don''t really want to like the watch.

But the good news is I might not be as old as my birthday says. I like Tags better than Rolex.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like similar styles in all the brands, actually. Round face..actually lots of them posted on this thread I like.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
so what are the differences between the different kind of movements? how many of them are there? quartz, automatic, swiss? hrm.... i didn''t know there was so much to know about watches.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BUT I like the $3,000 and up watches even better.
39.gif

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 10:56:03 AM
Author: Julian
Are you sure about the $5k max rule for stainless steel?
31.gif
Heh heh heh. These are built like tanks but also beautiful.

I love Tag Heuers. They''re diving watches. This is the newer model of what I wear & I have smacked this on everything, gone skydiving with it, hangliding, diving & rock climbing and it is indestructible!

The plus is, with such a rugged watch -- for dinner, you can dress it up like a lady and it looks spectacular. All diamonds are ideal cut (so small, how do they do that?) and colorless.

It''s nice to have several watches, but if you''re looking for a very rugged one that still is beautiful (people will grab your wrist a lot!) then this is a nice option.
OMG, Julian that watch is to die for......I am a Tag Heuer fan and will only wear Tag Heuer. I haven''t seen that Alter Ego with diamonds before. I want that watch.
6.gif

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Not to confuse the matter ... but this photo is new on the Celeb Bling thread ... and I LOVE Jennifer Garner's watch (as well as her C'EST CHIC plain band/eternity ring/pink channel set diamond band combo)

Can't quite tell but I'm guessing Cartier??

Yep, it's a Cartier Francaise white gold with diamonds-- it retails around $23k or so I believe.
30.gif
I recognized it bc I'm currently considering the same watch but in stainless steel without diamonds.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 9:10:29 PM
I guess when Tag says ''highly exclusive edition'' it means I don''t really want to like the watch.

But the good news is I might not be as old as my birthday says. I like Tags better than Rolex.
I don''t like rolex at all.... they seem cliche to me or something, I dunno. I definitely found a few of the tags that I liked though - seriously don''t see them becoming a reality though LOL And really - if I were to go all out on a watch I''d want something truly pretty - delicate.... something with a bracelet type band. Many of these watches look so casual to me I just choke when I see the prices. Because the brands mean nothing to me, they look *just* like $20-$200 watches to me. I had a "rolex" years ago when I was in high school - an older relative gave it to me, partly as a gag - someone stole it I''m guessing thinking it was real. I don''t think they''re the prettiest watches for a woman. They''re chunky.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon, when you mentioned Costco had some Cartiers, I thought I would talk a look see. Did you also happen to see the 11.37 carat oval ring with side stones, D VS2, for $500,000.00 on their site?! I almost fell out of my chair...polish and sym ex/ex, no flour, no culet, set in plat, with two heart shaped side stones...some lab in L.A. (I.G.I.) did the cert...whooooooaaaaa, if I were dropping half a million on a ring, I am not sure I would go to Costco, but maybe I am being dumb...

Also, some of the sites that seem discounted for Rolex might be selling refurbished ones...there is a HUGE market for them where I live...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just kinda skimmed through this thread and have to report that my DH and I both purchased Tags this past year...we are 36 and 29.... mine can be seen on the "show me your watch" thread in the jewelry forum, and his is the basic self-winding model. He and I have both been very happy with our Tags but have looked at them as "our first big-purchase" watches for sure. So..just giving you all another perspective, I guess...no opinion or judgement intended.

DH HAS mentioned that he would like to "move up" to a Rolex in the next few years...and after that who knows? I myself am happy with my Tag b/c it has diamonds on the dial which was more than I expected as a gift from him last year...it seems to be a superb timepiece and I''m so pleased with it so far I haven''t even searched for another watch yet...until I found this thread, LOL!
35.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 9:49:23 PM
Author: Milly
so what are the differences between the different kind of movements? how many of them are there? quartz, automatic, swiss? hrm.... i didn''t know there was so much to know about watches.

It''s not a big deal. You''ve got two basic kinds that you''ll see: quartz and mechanical. Mechanical has two kinds under its category: automatic and manual winding. You can tell quartz cuz the second hand (if it has one) will tick or jump ahead a second''s distance at a time. The mechanical ones have much smaller jumps so the second hand looks like it sweeps across the face.

Quartz, as a general rule, will be more accurate than a mechanical watch. However, the fancier watches will have mechanical movements. A lot of the REALLY high end watches will be manual winding watches where you have to physically do something to the watch every day or so to keep it running.

There are generally two big watch camps. The Swiss watch industry and the Japanese. You can see companies from all over, but the "name" brands generally come from those two countries.

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 1:42:59 PM

Date: 11/28/2006 9:49:23 PM
Author: Milly

It''s not a big deal. You''ve got two basic kinds that you''ll see: quartz and mechanical. Mechanical has two kinds under its category: automatic and manual winding. You can tell quartz cuz the second hand (if it has one) will tick or jump ahead a second''s distance at a time. The mechanical ones have much smaller jumps so the second hand looks like it sweeps across the face.

Quartz, as a general rule, will be more accurate than a mechanical watch. However, the fancier watches will have mechanical movements. A lot of the REALLY high end watches will be manual winding watches where you have to physically do something to the watch every day or so to keep it running.

There are generally two big watch camps. The Swiss watch industry and the Japanese. You can see companies from all over, but the ''name'' brands generally come from those two countries.
Codex

So who makes ladies watches that are automatic (besides Rolex). Is there a comprehensive list somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results