shape
carat
color
clarity

ladies watch questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2006 8:16:41 PM
Author: Milly
i found it here on the tourneau site.

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/Main/Catalog/Women/Results/Product%20Details/Gender~Women/ItemType~watches/ddl_tour_Brand~TAG%20Heuer/ProductId~HEU0200021.aspx

30.gif
love this watch!!! like julian said, this watch can be rugged, but dressed up at the same time.
30.gif
Yikes, I saw that one but it was $1000 more than the other one! So that''s why I posted the other one! Beuatiful, though! And I do have to have an all-purpose watch, casual and dressy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2006 8:01:28 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 11/26/2006 7:55:48 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
The jeweler that I was looking at for the happy hubby''s watch typically discounts 30% across the board--Jaeger, Cartier, IWC, you name it. He also discounts jewelry 35% so maybe that''s his business model? Whenever I go in there I just mentally knock 1/3 off the price tag when I look at things. Someone else who works in the store told me that they won''t carry Rolex because Rolex forbids them to discount AT ALL.
HI:

In the B & M where I buy all our watches, I was told the Rolex sports models never are discounted; but that older styles have ''some latitude''. I''ve never purchased a Rolex, but received varying discounts on three Concords, one Ebel and one Omega.

cheers--Sharon
Hmmm, well it does make the other brands appealing if they can be discounted. That''s good to know which ones shouldn''t require full price.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra, I know, I have a pretty long wish list, and the watch is not my highest priority! I've wrestled with the watch idea, but I think I'll eventually get one. I've just decided that any jewelry I get from here on out is going to be excellent. No more money spent on mediocre quality pieces.

I found a great jeweler in my nearest city who carries:

Rolex
Patek Ph.
Cartier
Breitling
Jaeger-LeCoultre
Tag Heuer

and others!!! That will be a terrific place to do some comparing! My other jeweler carries the Ebel. I just have to figure out who discounts.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Back in the day Rolex''s used to be discounted. Rolex got wind of that, and now threaten to pull the line from the store if they do. Most jeweler''s I know don''t want to run that risk.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister inherited my aunt''s Rolex when she died because my sister was named after her. It is not a current popular style, but it is solid 14k gold including the band. But I imagine there''ll be a watch I really like from all these major brands, so the key for me will be to find the best prices. May have to call Kaleigh''s and Dee Jay''s jewelers!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2006 9:05:02 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Back in the day Rolex''s used to be discounted. Rolex got wind of that, and now threaten to pull the line from the store if they do. Most jeweler''s I know don''t want to run that risk.
HI:

Perhaps, then, I misunderstood. I know they are "strict" with their line/discounting.

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They also do not allow their jewelers to even mention that they carry Rolex on their websites! When I looked at the jeweler I mentioned above, the only way I knew they carried Rolex was from their holiday catalog where they had to blank out the Rolex pages, but on the index page, you saw that those were the Rolex pages!

Sharon, you have a nice watch collection! Any preferences?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found out that Pearlman''s carries Rolex, so I am checking on what they have.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 3:07:05 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Do y''all know of reliable vendors who sell these kinds of watches at a discount? It''s sort of against my principles to pay full retail for any luxury item!
Well, it''s not a ladies watch, but, I got DH''s Concord at the Movado outlet store. It was like 50% off of retail or something. They had a small selection of Concord. His watch has been great for everyday wear. Comfort is KEY for him and even Mr. anti-watch (or anti-anything not 100% cotton) says it''s comfortable.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t peeked into PS this week due to holiday, etc. and I see this thread! It''s perfect DS as I am currently in love with the Cartier Francaise and am hoping that it will show up under the Xmas tree this year.
9.gif
Anyone have bad experiences with Cartier to share? I have a few friends with the Santos but they haven''t had theirs too long so no issues yet.

I am also currently shopping for a good men''s watch for my Fiance as a wedding gift so I''ve also enjoyed DeeJay''s thread.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 9:01:19 PM
Cehra, I know, I have a pretty long wish list, and the watch is not my highest priority! I''ve wrestled with the watch idea, but I think I''ll eventually get one. I''ve just decided that any jewelry I get from here on out is going to be excellent. No more money spent on mediocre quality pieces.

I found a great jeweler in my nearest city who carries:

Rolex
Patek Ph.
Cartier
Breitling
Jaeger-LeCoultre
Tag Heuer

and others!!! That will be a terrific place to do some comparing! My other jeweler carries the Ebel. I just have to figure out who discounts.
we''ve been scrimping and saving and investing for so many years now (10!) to be able to move back to california and maintain our lifestyle.... we finally broke down and liquidated some for the ring but I''m not used to extravagance by any stretch. If we decided to stay here we''d be set but we don''t want to carry a big mortgage so we''re looking at needing several hundred thousand to put down.... my dh would probably flip if he even knew I was considering a 1k watch ROFL!! But in my head I''m thinking - hey, if I get a diamond watch then I can skip the bracelet ;-) I still like I think it was julie''s watch best.... I''m going to look at that brand and see what others they have :D

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2006 7:40:08 PM
Author: HooCares
I don''t know much about watches, but I love the look of the Omega Constellation watches. I prefer white gold since all my jewelry is white gold/platinum. They are stainless steel and definitely retail for less than $5000. Here are my two favorites. I think the one without the colored stones retails for about $2500. I''m not sure about the colored stones one. Does anyone know if Omega has a good reputation?
They have a fantastic rep as a watchmaker and have been around a long time, especially the Constellation is a true classic.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I have looked and looked for a (not sporty) high quality ladies watch with a sweep second hand. I don''t want a Rolex.

If I am going to pay that much for a watch I want to wear it to work - and I''m a physician so I need to use it to time pulses.

Why do so many manufacturers omit the sweep second hand? I am wearing a knock off of a Cartier tank watch from another manufacturer simply due to the presence of a sweep second hand on the copy (but not the original).

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased a ladies'' Rolex in April of this year, and I did get a 10% discount on it. It''s very similar to the one Sundial has except mine is all stainless, not two tone. I think most places will discount the lesser sold models of Rolex, but they won''t be as discounted as other brands. I did some pretty extensive research on the timezone website before my purchase and discounts are there, but they are generally under 15% unless you have a really good relationship (ie purchase a lot) with a jeweler.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 5:57:12 AM
Author: tanuki
I have looked and looked for a (not sporty) high quality ladies watch with a sweep second hand. I don''t want a Rolex.

If I am going to pay that much for a watch I want to wear it to work - and I''m a physician so I need to use it to time pulses.

Why do so many manufacturers omit the sweep second hand? I am wearing a knock off of a Cartier tank watch from another manufacturer simply due to the presence of a sweep second hand on the copy (but not the original).
I agree with you - it''s one of the reasons I love my watch... the numbers are big, every of the 60 minutes/seconds is marked, and there is a sweeping second hand. I would LOVE to find a watch that did all of this perhaps a bit smaller ad delicate with some diamonds - and waterproof LOL does it exist??

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Whew, lotsa questions. I'll try and answer what I can.

Date: 11/26/2006 3:24:24 PM
Whoa! Platinum cases??? You're talking about a watch that costs as much as a house! Lol! That would be something!

JLC isn't the only one with platinum cases. A decent number of the high end watch co's have platinum cases. Platinum can be a bit hard to distinguish from stainless steel tho. If you wanna attract attention and don't like yellow gold, check out the rose gold cases.

I don't know much about watches, but I love the look of the Omega Constellation watches. I prefer white gold since all my jewelry is white gold/platinum. They are stainless steel and definitely retail for less than $5000. Here are my two favorites. I think the one without the colored stones retails for about $2500. I'm not sure about the colored stones one. Does anyone know if Omega has a good reputation?

I picked an automatic (self winding) Constellation over a bit more expensive Rolex and a same priced Tag Heuer. Mainly cuz I got all into the history of the watch co's. Tag Heuer is just a fashion house for their wristwatches, despite what they throw up on their website (now, they're really just a less expensive Cartier). Rolex's success is too much from pure marketing rather than technical accomplishments for my taste.

For womens watches, adding the sweep hand can add bulk to the case that the company finds unacceptable. It's an extra "complication" that makes the guts of the watch more complicated. More complicated typically means bigger. No big deal for mens watches cuz they're bigger (and the trend now is to go even bigger). For womens watches, if they want to keep the smaller and more "dainty" profile, it's easier to lose a complication like the sweeping second hand.

Date: 11/26/2006 10:10:19 PM
(Shoot! I liked a few of those watches but because they are not an authorized dealer, it probably means they won't have the manufacturer's warranty. Oh well!)

The beauty of Costco is their great return policy. If you have a problem with the watch, just take it back to Costco. How many problems do you really expect on a watch that expensive? Wouldn't you rather return and get a new watch than wait months to have it repaired (when it shouldn't have a problem in the first place)? Also, check the length of the manufacturer's warranty. They're typically so short, they're practically useless anyways.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2006 4:10:34 PM
Author: codex57
Whew, lotsa questions. I''ll try and answer what I can.

Date: 11/26/2006 3:24:24 PM
Whoa! Platinum cases??? You''re talking about a watch that costs as much as a house! Lol! That would be something!

JLC isn''t the only one with platinum cases. A decent number of the high end watch co''s have platinum cases. Platinum can be a bit hard to distinguish from stainless steel tho. If you wanna attract attention and don''t like yellow gold, check out the rose gold cases.

I don''t know much about watches, but I love the look of the Omega Constellation watches. I prefer white gold since all my jewelry is white gold/platinum. They are stainless steel and definitely retail for less than $5000. Here are my two favorites. I think the one without the colored stones retails for about $2500. I''m not sure about the colored stones one. Does anyone know if Omega has a good reputation?

I picked an automatic (self winding) Constellation over a bit more expensive Rolex and a same priced Tag Heuer. Mainly cuz I got all into the history of the watch co''s. Tag Heuer is just a fashion house for their wristwatches, despite what they throw up on their website (now, they''re really just a less expensive Cartier). Rolex''s success is too much from pure marketing rather than technical accomplishments for my taste.

For womens watches, adding the sweep hand can add bulk to the case that the company finds unacceptable. It''s an extra ''complication'' that makes the guts of the watch more complicated. More complicated typically means bigger. No big deal for mens watches cuz they''re bigger (and the trend now is to go even bigger). For womens watches, if they want to keep the smaller and more ''dainty'' profile, it''s easier to lose a complication like the sweeping second hand.

Date: 11/26/2006 10:10:19 PM
(Shoot! I liked a few of those watches but because they are not an authorized dealer, it probably means they won''t have the manufacturer''s warranty. Oh well!)

The beauty of Costco is their great return policy. If you have a problem with the watch, just take it back to Costco. How many problems do you really expect on a watch that expensive? Wouldn''t you rather return and get a new watch than wait months to have it repaired (when it shouldn''t have a problem in the first place)? Also, check the length of the manufacturer''s warranty. They''re typically so short, they''re practically useless anyways.
Wow, thanks for all the info. I can see that buying a watch is not a simple matter! But as far as Costco goes, without going back right this second, wouldn''t it probably only be 30 days to return? What if something goes wrong 6 months later? Of course, I have never even had a problem with a $75-200 watch, so I am not sure that is really a worry. Maybe I should look at Omega?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it looks to me like most of the women''s watches are quartz except the Rolex, and it is going to be larger than the quartz ones. And I have been told that quartz is quartz, so what you''re paying for is the case, bracelet, and name. Gosh, I have the chance to get a Rolex at a discount today only, but I can''t decide that fast! I like other brands, too, and haven''t been able to do any pricing research! These purchases usually take me a few months!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
KP doesn''t carry Rolex but will order one if you ask them. DH is a huge Rolex fan and he asked them about it!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 4:52:54 PM

Wow, thanks for all the info. I can see that buying a watch is not a simple matter! But as far as Costco goes, without going back right this second, wouldn't it probably only be 30 days to return? What if something goes wrong 6 months later? Of course, I have never even had a problem with a $75-200 watch, so I am not sure that is really a worry. Maybe I should look at Omega?

That's why I said it being from Costco makes the manufacturer warranty superfluous. Costco has a CRAZY return policy. It's kinda like Nordstrom's (that I know of), but better. You can take back an item to Costco even if a year has gone by. They've got a better computerized system now, but as long as you show that receipt, that CS return clerk will take it back no questions asked. I've seen people return clearly used shoes to Nordstrom 6 months later. However, with Costco, it wasn't uncommon to see people return used computers over a year later and just pick up a new (and more updated) one. No box or anything needed. No restocking fee like pretty much every other place that sells computers. It got so bad, Costco updated their return policy to limit the return period of computers to 6 months. Everything else tho, you're pretty much good to go no matter how long you've had the thing. This past Thanksgiving holiday, I saw someone wheel in a plasma without a box. I bought an office chair, set up the base, and discovered a scar on the upper seat area. Couldn't disassemble the thing, so I just wheeled it in partly set up. Didn't bring the box. When I started explaining why it wasn't back in the box, they cut me off and told me not to worry about it. Gave me cash back (paid with credit card) and told me to have a nice day.

I've never seen such a generous return policy anywhere else. That's why I'm not concerned about getting a $28,000 Patek from Costco, even tho I'm sure it's grey market with no valid warranty. I'd rather have the Costco return policy rather than have my name written in the book of owners back in Patek's Switzerland headquarters.

Take a look at Omega. Take a look at lots of brands. I just happened to pick Omega cuz they're a respected brand and I liked their history better than the other watch brands I was looking at. More importantly, I liked the looks of the Constellation. It's got some subtle details to the watch that you can't see in pics. Where they placed the hinge on the band was a factor as well (I have a skinny wrist and the face doesn't stick out like on many other watches).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2006 7:53:48 PM
Author: codex57

That''s why I said it being from Costco makes the manufacturer warranty superfluous. Costco has a CRAZY return policy. It''s kinda like Nordstrom''s (that I know of), but better. You can take back an item to Costco even if a year has gone by. They''ve got a better computerized system now, but as long as you show that receipt, that CS return clerk will take it back no questions asked. I''ve seen people return clearly used shoes to Nordstrom 6 months later. However, with Costco, it wasn''t uncommon to see people return used computers over a year later and just pick up a new (and more updated) one. No box or anything needed. No restocking fee like pretty much every other place that sells computers. It got so bad, Costco updated their return policy to limit the return period of computers to 6 months. Everything else tho, you''re pretty much good to go no matter how long you''ve had the thing. This past Thanksgiving holiday, I saw someone wheel in a plasma without a box. I bought an office chair, set up the base, and discovered a scar on the upper seat area. Couldn''t disassemble the thing, so I just wheeled it in partly set up. Didn''t bring the box. When I started explaining why it wasn''t back in the box, they cut me off and told me not to worry about it. Gave me cash back (paid with credit card) and told me to have a nice day.

I''ve never seen such a generous return policy anywhere else. That''s why I''m not concerned about getting a $28,000 Patek from Costco, even tho I''m sure it''s grey market with no valid warranty. I''d rather have the Costco return policy rather than have my name written in the book of owners back in Patek''s Switzerland headquarters.
Unbelievable about the return policy. Wow. That makes things very different. Any idea how much those watches are discounted? If the Patek is $28,000 there, I can''t even fathom what it would be regular retail!!!! I will seriously look there now that you have explained the return policy! Thanks!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I never checked what the discount was. For some of the lesser watches, an aggressive jeweler can beat Costco''s prices. But, it would require a connection or a decent amount of bargaining on your part. Or, go online at the grey market dealers. However, with the grey market dealers, you''re at their mercy for any returns/repairs. If they suddenly go out of business, you''re screwed. I feel much more comfortable with the idea that Costco will be in business longer than those internet dealers.

Plus, you can return at any of their stores. I know other big name stores do this too, but not all. If you''ve ever dealt with the hassle of not being able to return something to a B&M chain store that you got online, you realize what a big deal this is.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Can any of the watch ''experts'' chime in on how you would order the quality v. prestige of the following watch brands? I''m now unsure if I want a Cartier after some research since I want to make sure I''m getting great workmanship as well as the look I like. I have read a lot of conflicting things. What are your thoughts on the order of brands including Rolex, Cartier, Baume & Mercier, Omega, Tag Heuer, Movado, Ebel? Please include any other brand in the similar price range that you think beats these brands for women.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question, DL. I think, though, that the quality is in the case if the movement is quartz. And the thinner women''s watches appear to me to be mostly quartz.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2006 10:56:03 AM
Author: Julian
Are you sure about the $5k max rule for stainless steel?
31.gif
Heh heh heh. These are built like tanks but also beautiful.

I love Tag Heuers. They''re diving watches. This is the newer model of what I wear & I have smacked this on everything, gone skydiving with it, hangliding, diving & rock climbing and it is indestructible!

The plus is, with such a rugged watch -- for dinner, you can dress it up like a lady and it looks spectacular. All diamonds are ideal cut (so small, how do they do that?) and colorless.

It''s nice to have several watches, but if you''re looking for a very rugged one that still is beautiful (people will grab your wrist a lot!) then this is a nice option.
This was a helpful post. If I do get another watch I want it to be very tough. Does this watch do well with water? Yeah you said it''s a diving watch but sometimes that''s style not reality.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do y''all know of reliable vendors who sell these kinds of watches at a discount? It''s sort of against my principles to pay full retail for any luxury item!
Ah here you are reading my mind. We''re diamond size twins and discount shoppers!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2006 10:40:23 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Ah here you are reading my mind. We''re diamond size twins and discount shoppers!!!
9.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2006 8:33:52 PM
Author: diamondlove
Can any of the watch ''experts'' chime in on how you would order the quality v. prestige of the following watch brands? I''m now unsure if I want a Cartier after some research since I want to make sure I''m getting great workmanship as well as the look I like. I have read a lot of conflicting things. What are your thoughts on the order of brands including Rolex, Cartier, Baume & Mercier, Omega, Tag Heuer, Movado, Ebel? Please include any other brand in the similar price range that you think beats these brands for women.
Quality and features are more important to me than name brand. Or maybe not since I''ve read all of the posts in this thread. Now I think I need a nice watch to go with my ring....
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results