shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies of Pricescope, I need your help! (makeup thread)

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
After my LASIK it was suggested that I get all new eye makeup. So, I decided I'm going to get all new make up and brushes, as well. Now, I'll be honest, I'm a drug store make up girl. I don't really need anything fancy, but I'd like to get something that's at least decent quality. So, where do you get your makeup brushes? Are you happy with them? What kind of makeup do you typically wear (if any)?

Thanks! :)

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Supposedly a good makeup brush should last years if not a lifetime (assuming you take care of it, wash it, etc), so I've invested in mine. I bought mine at sephora. I explained to the sales assoc that I just wanted the basics and started my collection from that point on. I've heard the Sonia kashuk ones at target are good too but I've no experience with them.

Eta: forgot to add, I use liquid foundation (cc cream), powder bronzer and eye shadow, and cream blush that doesn't a brush.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy makeup brushes at ELF. They're surprisingly good quality considering their price.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1396823627|3648568 said:
I buy makeup brushes at ELF. They're surprisingly good quality considering their price.

This is where my last set was from. I was quite surprised at the quality! I love their primer, too. It made my skin feel so silky smooth, and helped my makeup last all day.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1396823880|3648571 said:
baby monster|1396823627|3648568 said:

This is where my last set was from. I was quite surprised at the quality! I love their primer, too. It made my skin feel so silky smooth, and helped my makeup last all day.
That's great. I also use ELF eye shadow, concealers, lipstick and blush. They're all very good quality and don't irritate my skin like some other brands, even expensive ones. I didn't like their primer or BB cream. They felt very heavy and made me break out.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I didn't already have some great brushes, I'd be VERY tempted to get some Sonia Kashuk brushes from Target. They seem to be of excellent quality, comparable to what I have already (which is a mish-mash of old Prescriptives brushes, Japonesque, Sephora, Ulta, etc) - the Target I go to has a display where you can touch them. They have a lot of different styles too.

Check out Target...

ETA - oops. Didn't see that there's already been a plug for Sonia Kashuk. I guess that just says they catch more than one eye, eh? ;))

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
ksinger|1396824476|3648576 said:
If I didn't already have some great brushes, I'd be VERY tempted to get some Sonia Kashuk brushes from Target. They seem to be of excellent quality, comparable to what I have already (which is a mish-mash of old Prescriptives brushes, Japonesque, Sephora, Ulta, etc) - the Target I go to has a display where you can touch them. They have a lot of different styles too.

Check out Target...

ETA - oops. Didn't see that there's already been a plug for Sonia Kashuk. I guess that just says they catch more than one eye, eh? ;))

It's good to hear that they come highly recommended! I don't have a Target in my area, though I'll be going out of town next weekend for my next follow up, so I'll be able to check them out in person. For things like this, I do like to be able to look and feel them before committing to a purchase.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like IT! Cosmetics brushes, Smashbox brushes, I have a few Sonia Kashuks, I have a few EcoTools, Japonesque....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure where the OP lives, however, I got my good quality brushes and applicators from shops that sell to make-up artists and students, as well as from shops such as Muji and Sephora.

I do not spend a lot of money on make up, as I do not wear much or often enough to justify the cost.

Fresh face without make up is the norm (eyelashes must be curled as they are very straight).

Waterproof mascara, a touch of eyeliner, and long stay lippy are what I would normally wear for a casual night out.

Full works will include foundation and powder (I have now switched to a foundation and powder all in one product), and nail vanish as I would be wearing my better jewellery pieces.

I find the products by Max Factor, L'Oreal, and Bourjois very reliable and of good quality. So I too am a drug store make up kind of person.

Except for perfume, that has to be Chanel No. 19 and I wear it everyday.

DK :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I get all my makeup & stuff from Mary Kay. I love it & it's affordable and they come to you. Got roped into a demo at a friend's house, went grumpily, and ended up sold. 8-) I've used it for years, good quality, good price & tons of choices.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Last year I bought the Real Techniques makup brushes (Chapman sisters) and I love them. Great quality and you won't break the bank buying these.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I should have mentioned that I bought these at Ulta when they had a buy one get one at 50%. These brushes are sold elsewhere I believe, like Target and in drugstores.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Ditto the Sonia Kashuk brushes at Target.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mogster said:
Ditto the Sonia Kashuk brushes at Target.

Ditto (tritto?) this one. I've had some for years and they are still holding strong.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I love makeup but even after buying expensive make up brushes, I never use them. I get better coverage with my fingers. I use Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation-it's just as good as the high end stuff IMHO and I've tried everything from Armani to Lorac and beyond. I don't wear eye shadow but I do line my top eyelid with Revlon Colostay eyeliner pencil in black, use an eyelash curler and waterproof mascara (currently Lights, Camera, Splashes by Tarte) and I love cream or gel blushes. Nars Penny Lane is very flattering, I also use a red gel blush or benefit benetint. I don't wear lipsticks, I wear stains. I never have to touch up my make up during the day and it gives me a "me but better" look. Also, define your brows, it makes a difference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the MAC brushes, but I just can't justify the cost any more (I lost my old ones). I bought ELF brushes and they've been really good. I don't like the ELF makeup, but the brushes are very decent. Do a search for which ones are recommended (that's what I did) and stick to those. You can get in and out for 5 bucks or less, which rocks. I also have a couple Sonia Kashuk and they are nice quality but mine aren't for eyes (one for blush and one for lipstick).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I don't spend money on super high end cosmetics, but the one item I really advocate you spend money on AND check out all the reviews of before you buy is eyeshadow. There is a huge difference between good and bad eyeshadow. PIGMENT is where it is at.

I bought all new makeup a few months ago and my BEST purchase was this palette : http://www.sephora.com/in-the-light-palette-P291218?SKUID=1346667&srccode=cii_23393768&cpncode=31-157742154-2&om_mmc=amazon-amazonpads HIGHLY recommend. 10 shadows plus a nice eyeliner for under 40 bucks. I don't get fall out at all, even if I don't use a primer. Great stuff.

Just in case you are wondering I also bought two lipsticks-- one from MAC which is a neutral every day (color: Retro) and one from Chanel which is a high pigment red (Rouge Allure Velvet #39 Le Somptueuse). I also already owned another lipstick, Chanel Rouge Double Intensite (color discontinued: Sandstone) and this one is actually the best lipstick I've ever owned.

for my skin (which can be moody) bought a BB cream (Blemish Balm) which is great stuff because it combines clear complexion formula, with a light foundation and sunscreen. Also works as a light concealer.

My mascara is Clinique High Impact in Black. Standby and best value.

I only wear makeup on special occasions now and occasionally at work. I used to wear it much more often, but... meh.

And that list is pretty much ALL the makeup I own. And ALL OF IT together cost about 130 bucks (including brushes and eyeshadow primer from Laura Mercier). Which I consider a very good balance between quality and budget.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
The nicest brushes I own are from Suqqu. But they are very expensive. But so nice I'd rescue them from a burning building.

Much more reasonable and great quality: RMK

Others have also recommended real techniques, but I have no personal experience with them.

My most used brushes are for eyeshadow and concealer, if I apply foundation (rarely!) I use a stippling brush. I think Japan makes the best make up brushes. I think they're a worthwhile investment, I find the overall finish of my makeup is better with good brush, even if the makeup itself is not so good.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love drug store brands. I only ever really care to pay department store brand prices for foundation and concealer since that needs to be properly matched, and it goes directly on the skin. I wear BB cream by Clinique, and the Yves Saint Laurent Touché Exclat.

I use my hands to apply makeup. I've never been a fan of using and cleaning brushes. However, all the YouTube makeup gurus seem to no longer care for MAC brushes and go for Sigma brand ones. I've yet to try them, but thought you'd appreciate knowing.

Congrats on your LASIK. It's been 4 years since mine, and I love it! The NUMBER ONE best thing I've ever done for myself!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I tend to steer towards higher end cosmetics simply because I can try them before I buy. Department stores and Sephora are very happy to give me samples and while I may tried a large variety of products, I have only purchased just a few. But before anything works on your skin, you have to exfoliate and moisturize. My facial moisturizer is Cerave. I use a Dior foundation, Dermablend moisturizing undereye concealer, either Clinique powder blush in Aglo or Bobbi Brown cream blush, Anastasia dip brow, Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner, and my eyeshadows are from NYX . Don't laugh but for my primer I use Monistat antichaffing gel! Just the tiniest amount all over my face after moisturizer and sunscreen.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for EcoTools brushes. So soft, and cruelty free. I also use elf studio brushes (also synthetic, the essentials ones are animal). They do the job, but I find they aren't as soft as I'd like on my eyes. On the face they are fine for me.

I used to use high end makeup, but have been recently using a lot of the elf studio line. I like that I can experiment as much as I want without spending a lot. Some favorites are the HD lifting concealer, BB cream, blushes, and almost all the lip products (a no would be the glitter gloss - ouch). The eye shadows are hit or miss as far as pigmentation, but since I've only tried palettes, it hasn't been a problem for me. I'd hate it if I bought a single shadow without pigmentation, though.

For moisturizer and toner I'm just switching to derma e. So far I've only used samples, which convinced me to give them a try.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Product wise I am mostly mid-high end but have some drugstore staples. Anyone that follows my blog knows I am a product whore. My biggest challenge is to find products that do not have Lanolin or Castor Oil. Cheap filler that is not hypoallergenic.

Foundation is usually a mix of Laura Mercier Oil Free and Lancome Tient Idole 24Hr and applied with a wet beauty blender sponge. Concealer is Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer (it's liquid, in a tube with a wand), usually over the foundation, or of I skip liquid foundation then it is layered with another waterproof concealer (lancome effacernes, Kevyn Aucoin, or Mary Kay or something).
I often use Bare Minerals Ready foundation to set concealer under my eyes and sometimes a light dusting to set foundation.
I always use Bare Minerals Ready Mineral veil to set it all. I like that translucent one the best. I have an illuminating one as well, but the translucent is my favorite.

For blush I have a few, but usually I use It! Cosmetics Vitality Cheek Stain--the pressed version. I also own the Josie Maran "cheek gelee" for the days I want to use a gel blush instead. I have a Nars as well and a Cover Girl that works equally well. I also have several Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks, but I don't use them very often.

For eyes I wear Tarte eyeliner, Covergirl eyeshadow and Maybelline Mascara day to day. When I really make them look hookery, I add some Bare Minerals Ready liner shadow (special edition), the original Urban Decay Naked palette or some Yaby Paint Pot shadows and extra mascara from Loreal. Brows are VanityMark by Brett Friedman bec he's one of the very few that does a redhead brow powder or pencil.

I don't wear lip products.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
MAC has great make up brushes. I've had the same foundation brush for 8 years; I've had problems with acne on and off, so the brush helps me from spreading extra oils or bacteria from my fingers to my face. I also have one MAC eyeliner brush and an eyeshadow brush, and I've had each of those for a few years too. I wash with baby shampoo or a sulfate free shampoo.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, you guys are so awesome! I really appreiate all of your responses, IndyLady, ame, kefira, soocool, madelise, rosetta, Gypsy, makemepretty, amc, mogster, JewelFreak, dk, ksinger, baby monster, and UrsTx.

I have previously used ELF's brushes, and I haven't been dissatisfied, but I also haven't experimented much to know what else is out there. I could be missing something awesome, and not even know it. I don't have an Ulta or Target near me, so when I go out of town for my follow up next week, I will have the chance to get to both. I know that I don't want a set, as I wouldn't use them all. I typically only use 3-4 brushes, so I'm excited to checking out something better than what I have. I have trouble justifying department store/high end cosmetics on my budget though, especially since my skin is general pretty decent.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea I don't really buy sets much. If I do, it's because it's a special travel sized set that has a few I want, and I only want the case and those couple brushes in that size.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My fave are MAC and Japonesque.

The best budget brands are mentioned above but this one is highly recommended on the makeup forums.
http://www.coastalscents.com/br-set-011.html

Also for good quality budget makeup, I recommend NYX. Really great pigment eye shadows and lipsticks.
http://www.nyxcosmetics.com/

Other than that, I would suggest investing in one of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I love them all.

D

Deactivated member 42515

As some have said, MAC brushes are great. Yes, they range around the $30-40's but you want a brush that strong but soft and doesn't loose it's shape or lose it's bristles.

As for makeup, I use Clinique CC cream foundation, Makeup Forever High Definition Mineral Powder, Anastasia eye brow set, Bobbi Brown gel liner, Makeup Forever shadows and Nars Orgasm for blush. For mascara, I use Diorshow and Chanel Inimitable Intense.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want to try the IT blush brush I mentioned, and their AWESOME blush with it, this is THE best way:
http://www.qvc.com/It-Cosmetics-Vitality-Cheek-Flush-Powder-BlushStain-&-Brush-Matte-Sweet-Apple.product.A218672.html?upsh=1&sc=A218672-CSWB

I own both the sweet apple and the pretty in peony. The peony is my favorite. It's almost a bang on match to Torrid by Nars (which is similar to Orgasm but less of a shimmerbomb). This stuff lasts all day and this compact will last forever. The brush is the bomb. I bought both colors mostly to get two brushes!

I also have their ball brush for my face powder, but I got the ball brushes from their website directly, and til tomorrow they have a 25% off deal, with code CELEBRATE.
https://www.itcosmetics.com/heavenly-luxe-wand-ball-brush

Personally, I mostly don't use anything by MAC, their makeup gives me EPIC rashes and the few brushes I do have shed like crazy so I stopped using them. I think the single MAC brush I still use once in a while is a 266 angle brush for brow powder.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Also, Real Technique brushes are nice.

But, I swear by the Beauty Blender sponge for applying foundation. It's about $30 but soooo worth it. Nothing else compares. Real Techniques has a similar one but still doesn't compare.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results