shape
carat
color
clarity

ladies, had you ever received a gift from your bf or husband...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that you really hated but pretended you love the gift b/c you know he''ll be disappointed if you told him the truth?

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Haha, my SO and I have had this convo before... he knows my taste very well so it hasn''t happened yet. But if he did get me something I didn''t like, I''d lie through my teeth and tell him I loved it! To me, it''s totally the thought that counts. If someone takes the time and effort to go out and pick something especially for me, I''ll love it, even if I hate it, lol!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yep, it came out a few months later, when I stopped wearing it
7.gif
but its all good now... I didn''t tell him, just never wore it again and he got the idea but we talked about it like 6 months later. He''s so laid back and knows me well, that I"m very picky anyways and it was our first year together. He knows better now though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2009 1:44:56 PM
Author: D&T
7.gif
but its all good now... I didn''t tell him, just never wore it again and he got the idea but we talked about it like 6 months later. He''s so laid back and knows me well, that I''m very picky anyways and it was our first year together. He knows better now though.
what kind of gift?
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband once gave me a Claddagh ring around the same time we had gone to Ireland for a friend''s wedding. This was before we were married. He thought it would be fitting to get two rings actually -- one for me and one for himself. I like Claddagh rings, I really do, but these were hideous. They were cheap, bulky, and not something I would ever wear. I admitted it to him not long after he gave it to me. He never wore his ring either -- he''s not into jewelry (other than his wedding band), and he didn''t ended up not liking it either.

Typically, we don''t give gifts to each other. We spend the money we would have spent on gifts doing something together like going to a concert, a special event, etc. We do''t need more stuff/clutter lying around and it works out better for us if we don''t give gifts. The Claddagh rings may have actually been the last gifts my husband bought.

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Yup. Princess diamond studs...very poorly cut. I even started a thread about them here. Eventually decided his feelings and the thought behind the gift were more important than his knowing the truth. I wear them every so often and I always make a point of telling him I''m wearing them!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
yes I have. My husband and I have very different taste in jewelry. THere are pieces that he''s bought me that I really didn''t like but I didn''t have the heart to say Ewwwww LOL.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2009 1:51:23 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 7/7/2009 1:44:56 PM
Author: D&T
7.gif
but its all good now... I didn''t tell him, just never wore it again and he got the idea but we talked about it like 6 months later. He''s so laid back and knows me well, that I''m very picky anyways and it was our first year together. He knows better now though.
what kind of gift?
9.gif
like Lurchie. they were princess cut studs. Pre pricescope days
39.gif
but when I do wear them, he does notice
1.gif
its the sentiment and its just sitting in the box.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Not yet!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. When we first started dating, my (now) DH bought me this sweater that was HIDEOUS! We laugh about it now, but I pretended to like it at the time.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No because my Hubby always gets me to pick out my own gifts, I am sure he would do a good job but I think he prefers that I get exactly what I want and that means me being involved
9.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
He once gave me a foot bath for an anniversary. I think he was thinking that I could pamper myself, but it is really not something that I ever wanted or desire to use. I occassionally pull it out and use it.

Gifts that I have given him that never get used tend to be clothes that don''t fit properly... (like a leather jacket and a suit)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I''ve gotten jewelry I didn''t like. I didn''t say anything though! He doesn''t know--I would hate to hurt his feelings.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted a robe and new jammies this past Christmas..bookmarked 2 robes and a few sets of pajamas and showed him exactly which ones to choose from. I was *so* fricken excited-I''ve not worn actual pajamas in forever-I usually wear ratty old sweats during the winter. So come Christmas, and I got a robe and pair of jammies..but they''re the big thick fleece..not at all what I picked out..very soft, yes..very warm, yes..but I look like a linebacker. The pajamas were actually so warm I couldn''t wear them to bed. I could''ve if I was going to sleep on top of the covers I guess. I didn''t say anything to him tho.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Yes. It serves no purpose to be ungrateful or unhappy about a gift. Unless you want to make your SO feel like crap.

I watched for years as my mother and father played this out every Christmas and birthday. Yeah, he needed to figure out what she liked, but she needed to suck it up when he didn''t have a clue. It was uncomfortable to witness.

DH gave me a couple of Christmas presents this last year, which are still in their boxes, unworn, because he broke my cardinal rule of NO CLOTHES for gifts. So, of course, they were all wrong. Wrong size. Bad styles. Just wrong. But he got a kiss and a thank you anyway. He probably hasn''t even noticed that I haven''t worn his presents. But he would certainly remember if I had hurt his feelings.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH gave me a top years ago that just wasn''t . . . me. He purchased it while he was on a trip with his guy friends in Punte del Este, and he was really proud of it so I had to pretend to love it. I wore it out once, and my friends'' responses varied from "Who gave you that thing?" to "I didn''t know it was 80s night!"

I''ll try to do my best to describe this top, let''s see:
- It didn''t pass the boing test. (You know--if it''s on a hanger and you pull on it, does it boing back? If so, move on.)
- It was fire engine red.
- It had a lot of sparkly black beads sewn all over it, and they stuck out pretty far from the material.
- The neckline dipped down low enough that I''d have to wear a special bra if I wanted to leave anything to the imagination.
- It was way too short to cover my entire stomach--I''m 5''9" and I have a long torso to boot, so this happens a lot, anyway.

DH was a teenager in the 80s, so I blame the fact that he''s attracted to bright, revealing, garrish styles on that little fact.
2.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I pretend that I like it. I don''t ooh and aah, but I say that I like it and smile. Then a few years later I tell him that I don''t/didn''t like whatever the gift was. That way he will not buy anything similar again, but it has been long enough that it does not hurt is feelings anymore.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Yes but it hasn''t been that often and like someone else said, I just wear it anyway and tell him I appreciate how sweet he was thinking to buy me a gift.

I often say, since I''ve been with my husband since I was 18 and he was my only one, I have all the ex-boyfriend gifts that people pawn shop or ebay, but I can''t get rid of them. Not actually because he cares if I keep the blue glass studs set in brass that he gave me for that first birthday present because they were my ''birthstone'' (he forgot about them long ago) but because every time I take them out and think of trashing them, I remember how sweet he was at eighteen, buying me, his first girl, that first present, half afraid that I''d say I didn''t like them or didn''t like him--and back they go into the jewelry untill next time.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
One of the first gifts he gave me was a blouse made out of some uber polyester with chains and anchors and matching nautical earrings. I pretended until he confronted me. Then I fessed up.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes a couple of times, but I would never say anything to him.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
yes, but he figured out that i was lying and since then, he insists that i do a wish list for each occasion so he can get something from the list so i won''t be disappointed. and this way works MUCH better!!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''m not very good at pretending to not like gifts...he always knows.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes he bought me some hideous diamond ring from K-Mart, the diamonds are frozen pieces of spit, I have no idea what he was thinking, it just sits in my jewerly box, heck I would ebay it, but I dont think anyone would want the ugly thing
20.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
For my birthday this year, I got a gift I didn''t really like, but I could see exactly why he thought I would like it. I liked the idea, but the way it took shape wasn''t really my style--so I just told him, very gently, that I would prefer something else. I don''t think he was offended--he always offers that I can return or exchange any gift he gives me. In that case, he returned it and bought me the "runner-up" on his list, which I loved. I think we were both very happy with the outcome.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
For the most part, DH is very good at getting gifts for me. Especially now that he knows about PS and we''ve been jewelry and clothes shopping several times in the last few months/years, he has gotten a feel for my taste and knows what I like and don''t like

The one thing that I can think of is for our one year anniversary he gave me a necklace that was supposedly "diamonds" but the clarity must have been so bad because it did not sparkle at all. At the time I loved and cherished it but looking back on it I kind of laugh sometimes (and so does he) that he gave me that as his first real "jewelry" gift to me. He has since bought me a new MUCH nicer diamond necklace, and I never wear the other one anymore. I''ve never said it in actual words, but I think he knows that I don''t love the appearance of it based on the fact that I never wear it anymore. But it''s still very special and sentimental to me because it was his first real jewelry gift to me.

There have been one or two other times (I can''t think of when though, I just know there have been one or two other times) when he could tell I wasn''t in love with something. He''s very good at reading me, so it''s not even worth trying to lie about it!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Luckily no, my husband has fantastic taste and I''ve loved everything he''s given me
1.gif

A lot of it I wouldn''t have picked out myself, but I still love it nonetheless... in some cases that much more, because it doesn''t so much fit the ''norm'' of my things.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results