shape
carat
color
clarity

LA Hotel Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
In August FI and I are flying out from LAX to Rarotonga, Cook Islands for a two week vacation/honeymoon. We plan on spending part of Saturday there and then we are flying out at 11 pm on Sunday. I would like to stay in a hotel that is within walking distance (or a fairly inexpensive cab ride) to something interesting. I really am in over my head looking at a map and having any sort of clue where we should be staying. It doesn''t have to be right near the airport since we will have more than enough time to get to our hotel and back. Though, a hotel that is near Super Shuttle stop or something would be excellent.

Thanks for the help!

Budget: ~$150

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 9:19:40 PM
Author:Clairitek
In August FI and I are flying out from LAX to Rarotonga, Cook Islands for a two week vacation/honeymoon. We plan on spending part of Saturday there and then we are flying out at 11 pm on Sunday. I would like to stay in a hotel that is within walking distance (or a fairly inexpensive cab ride) to something interesting. I really am in over my head looking at a map and having any sort of clue where we should be staying. It doesn''t have to be right near the airport since we will have more than enough time to get to our hotel and back. Though, a hotel that is near Super Shuttle stop or something would be excellent.

Thanks for the help!

Budget: ~$150
Claritek, as far as I know, there isn''t anything like a super shuttle "stop." If you call super shuttle, they will pick you up from wherever you are. I take it you are not renting a car.

Where are you flying in from? Do you just want to relax or do you actually want to see the usual Hollywood sights? August is pretty busy around here. I''d suggest staying somewhere coastal as it can be hot in August.

If you don''t need to see the usual sites, I say stay in Hermosa Beach. It''s only a 15 minute cab ride max (if there is no traffic) from the airport and there are a lot of places to eat and hang out. Saturday night will be busy with lots of local restaurants turning into clubs. Anywhere in August that is coastal on a Sat night will be pretty pricey though.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
hi clairitek, it would depend on what you want to see, there are lots of hotels near the airport, but if you are going to be there for a day, you can try the surrounding cities like marina del rey or santa monica

travelinggal''s suggestion is also good

by the way, i am so jealous, can i go on vacation with you?
3.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
just a suggestion, but have you considered renting a car for the day? i drive everywhere here and so does everyone i know, but it''s really up to you

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clairitek, I second TGal''s Hermosa suggestion. Beautiful area, especially for the hot summer months
1.gif

OR you could stay at the hotel that''s just around the corner from me, I''m ''something interesting,'' right?
11.gif
9.gif

Anyway, do you have anything in particular in mind as far as what you''d like to be near? Shopping, touristy stuff, beach, studios (there''s nice stuff by Fox), downtown? We did a bunch of research recently (just under a year ago) for the ''accommodations'' section of our wedding website, and we found stuff all over the city, so hopefully I can recommend a good place if you know what sort of thing you''re interested in!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another vote for TG''s suggestion about the Hermosa Beach/South Bay area. Check out The Bellamar in Manhattan Beach. It''s a cool boutiquey beach hotel about 7 minutes to LAX- so a $15 cab ride.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I <3 you guys so very much. Thanks for the suggestions! Hermosa Beach sounds really neat.

I lived in Southern CA for a little while in high school so I don''t feel the need to be terribly touristy. I would love to be near some shops and have a nice dinner (not too expensive but not TGIF cheap) before we head out to the island the next day. Also, a hotel near a good breakfast place would be awesome because we LOVE a good breakfast.

Fickelfaye- Of course you can come! Provided you don''t mind my nutty Kiwi family. How do you feel about cargo holds?
3.gif
I did consider the car rental. Perhaps we will look into that more when we know how long we will be there for on Saturday. If we fly out first thing we would be in LA by noon. In that case it might be worth it.

Musey- I think you are very interesting! At least your little dog is. Colby is such a star.
9.gif

ChargerGrrl- That Bellamar Hotel sounds like just what we would want. I was hoping to avoid the bigger chains (Sheraton, Hyatt, etc.) and a $15 cab ride doesn''t sound too bad. I''ll be sure to check it out.

Another thing that just popped into my head is renting a car and heading further up the coast. I used to live in Carpinteria and haven''t been back there in a very long time. FI and I love wine and I wouldn''t mind taking the drive up the coastal highway and staying at a little place up near some of the Santa Barbara wineries. Since our flight isn''t until 11 PM on Sunday we would have plenty of time to get back the following day.

So any suggestions for that idea as well?

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
We like to stay at the Farmer''s Daughter when in LA (because it''s near our dear friends). It''s walking distance from the farmer''s market and the Grove, and tons of restaurants, etc on 3rd St.

Plus, the in-house restaurant, Tart, has wonderful breakfast.

But it''s not quite honeymoon-esque. I still love it, though.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:45:54 AM
Author: TheBigT
We like to stay at the Farmer''s Daughter when in LA (because it''s near our dear friends). It''s walking distance from the farmer''s market and the Grove, and tons of restaurants, etc on 3rd St.

Plus, the in-house restaurant, Tart, has wonderful breakfast.

But it''s not quite honeymoon-esque.> I still love it, though.

Honeymoon-esque isn''t really a requirement. We only decided to get married in June a few days ago and we have had this trip planned for over 6 months so we don''t need anything too fancy. We are staying here for the two weeks we will be spending in Rarotonga.

I''ll have to check out the Farmer''s Daughter as well! Thanks for the suggestion.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:26:06 AM
Author: Clairitek
I <3 you guys so very much. Thanks for the suggestions! Hermosa Beach sounds really neat.

I lived in Southern CA for a little while in high school so I don''t feel the need to be terribly touristy. I would love to be near some shops and have a nice dinner (not too expensive but not TGIF cheap) before we head out to the island the next day. Also, a hotel near a good breakfast place would be awesome because we LOVE a good breakfast.

Fickelfaye- Of course you can come! Provided you don''t mind my nutty Kiwi family. How do you feel about cargo holds?
3.gif
I did consider the car rental. Perhaps we will look into that more when we know how long we will be there for on Saturday. If we fly out first thing we would be in LA by noon. In that case it might be worth it.

Musey- I think you are very interesting! At least your little dog is. Colby is such a star.
9.gif

ChargerGrrl- That Bellamar Hotel sounds like just what we would want. I was hoping to avoid the bigger chains (Sheraton, Hyatt, etc.) and a $15 cab ride doesn''t sound too bad. I''ll be sure to check it out.

Another thing that just popped into my head is renting a car and heading further up the coast. I used to live in Carpinteria and haven''t been back there in a very long time. FI and I love wine and I wouldn''t mind taking the drive up the coastal highway and staying at a little place up near some of the Santa Barbara wineries. Since our flight isn''t until 11 PM on Sunday we would have plenty of time to get back the following day.

So any suggestions for that idea as well?
Santa Monica has the 3rd Street Promenade, Main Street, and Montana Avenue for walking type shopping. Nice ways to waste time!
Also several known good breakfast places (and of course dinner!)
As others have mentioned, none of the hotels are exactly cheap in SM, esp at that time of the year, but many of them are very walkable to food and shopping. SM is about 10 mi from LAX.

Santa Barbara would be nice, although I would hate for you to spend all of your time in the car!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results