shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitty Diabeetus Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got back from the vet and my kitty Ferris was diagnosed with diabetes.

Random question... how do you dispose of needles that pets use for insulin? Is it OK to throw them in the garbage? I feel weird doing that, but I''m not sure how else to handle it.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I think there is a seperate disposable thing you have to get. A friend of mine had to give his dog shots for thyroid? issues - and he had a plastic container to dispose all his things in - but he also covered the needles too. I am not sure what he did with them after that... take them to the vet for disposal once a month? or talk to the trash people.

Sorry... I''ll see what he says.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
You should get a needle disposal box. You can drop off full boxes at any pharmacy for no cost disposal.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if there are regulations in place for disposing of needles, but I remember my aunt having some kind of tool that snapped the needle off the syringe making it safe to toss in the garbage. Maybe you could ask about that?

eta: sorry to hear about your kitty!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
So sorry about Ferris - I hope he will be OK!

What you need for safe and legal disposal is called a Sharps container. You should be able to purchase them through a medical supply store. I don''t know how their direct-to-consumer practice is, but my lab orders a ton of stuff from BD Biosciences, and they seem to have a pretty good website with info on sharps disposal as well as containers for sale, here - that seems like a good place to start.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome. Thank you guys.

I''ll collect them and then take them back to the vet so they can dispose of them.

I figured they probably shouldn''t get thrown out, but who knows with pet needles.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
TT my friend. If you get caught disposing them in the trash... HUGE FINE.
Friend paid for a plastic container from the vet- and would go to the vet and have them dispose of the needles for free on a monthly basis (or whenever the container was almost full.)

Hope this helps and your furbabby gets better soon!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of our clients will save them in a container and bring them back to us to dispose of when they''re collecting their next lot.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Thats what i do. Keep them in a gift bag under the microwave. Once it''s close to full I just grab the handles and take it right back to my vet when I get my next dose.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results