shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitchenaid Stand Mixer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I am in a bit of a predicament. I put the KitchenAid (KA) Artisan Stand Mixer on my registry fully not expecting anyone to buy it for us (I put it on so we could get the 15% off and buy it for ourself post wedding). BUT the fiirst thing off our registry was the mixer
23.gif
!!!!!!!!! So I went back to the store to add on some attachments, but I realized the KA doesn't have some of the parts I was looking for such as the food processor, blender and juicer. Cusinart makes a similar mixer with all the above attachments, but from what I've read, the KA mixer is 'apparently' better than the Cusinart. Also, I've sort of heard the food processor attachment can only do very basic shredding/slicing. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

SO, my question is, should I exchange the KA mixer for the cuisinart one OR should I just buy the KA food processor separately. What would you suggest? Do you have any experience you can share with me re: the KA or the Cuisinart mixer?

Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I LOVE my KA mixer. And I have a few attachments, but I don''t really use many of them with the exception of the pasta maker. I''d stick with the KA mixer personally...but that''s just me!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 2:30:28 PM
Author: neatfreak
Personally I LOVE my KA mixer. And I have a few attachments, but I don''t really use many of them with the exception of the pasta maker. I''d stick with the KA mixer personally...but that''s just me!
Thanks for your opinion, Neatfreak! Out of curiosity, what attachments did you get? Also, do you have a separate food processor? My 18 year old brother lives with us, so chopping and shredding manually has become REALLy tiresome for me. I can only imagine how it''ll be once we have kids to feed!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 2:33:55 PM
Author: kama_s
Date: 4/4/2009 2:30:28 PM

Personally I LOVE my KA mixer. And I have a few attachments, but I don't really use many of them with the exception of the pasta maker. I'd stick with the KA mixer personally...but that's just me!

Thanks for your opinion, Neatfreak! Out of curiosity, what attachments did you get? Also, do you have a separate food processor? My 18 year old brother lives with us, so chopping and shredding manually has become REALLy tiresome for me. I can only imagine how it'll be once we have kids to feed!

We have:
-pasta roller
-ice cream maker
-roter slicer/shredder (which we don't use that much-I have a mandoline that I like better-makes less mess)

We do have a small food processor...I think it's much easier to use than something that would attach to the mixer-but I have never used the cuisinart attachment...

And they do have a juicer (KA), and the slicer/shredder attachment too...

ETA: I just looked at the food processor attachment for the cuisinart-do you realize how small it is? Looks fairly useless to me IMO and really it doesn't seem easier than having a separate machine based on how bulky it is.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the KA mixer and it''s wonderful. I would rather have separate machines because when you think about it, you''re asking one motor to do a lot of work and if it breaks, you''re down 2 appliances and are possibly in for a large repair bill. IMO.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There IS no other mixer to me, I have had my KA for 8 years and it is still going strong!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I have my KA was nearly 20 years and love it. I don''y have any of the attachments because I will use a food processor or mandoline or a manual pasta press. I do mix up a lot of dough for bread and cinnamon rolls with my KA, it beats kneading by hand. Oh, and yes I have a bread maker, but sometimes I bake several loaves at a time.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic! Thank you for your opinion Lyra, Lorelei and Soocool! I've decided to get a food processor in addition, and leave my KA mixer for delicious unhealthy cooking
2.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 3:09:41 PM

ETA: I just looked at the food processor attachment for the cuisinart-do you realize how small it is? Looks fairly useless to me IMO and really it doesn''t seem easier than having a separate machine based on how bulky it is.
Hmm, it does look quite small in the picture. I saw it at the store, and it was of decent size. Definitely bigger than my mini processor! But I agree, it''s probably easier to have a separate machine. That''s the plan for now!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I love my Kitchen Aid! It''s awesome. My mom has had one for over 20 years and it still is awesome for her, too. She has many of the attachments and loves all of them. I don''t have any, though.

I''m sure Cuisinart is great, too. We have a frozen yogurt/sorbet machine by them. It''s stellar. But I think the gold standard in mixers is Kitchen Aid!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long is the warranty on the Cuisinart vs the KA? I seem to remember the Cuisinart is 10, and the KA is 2? Check that.

These brands that became famous for their products decades ago don''t put out the same quality stuff anymore.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
My ka is 17 and going strong. I don''t baby it either. Love it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My sister has my GRANDMOTHER''S KA mixer! I think my mom got her KA as a wedding present and she has been married almost 37 years. I love mine (3 years old) so I think KA is the way to go. They last forever.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think that''s the better choice kama - we have a separate KA and a Cuisinart-brand food processor, and I think they are both ideally suited to their purposes
9.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would stick with the KA mixer...I really want one of these!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I have the kitchen aid stand mixer, the kitchen aid blender, and the kitchen aid food processor. I personally prefer having all three seperately. I know KA makes a lot of attachments, but sometimes you just need better options. I do however have KA attachment set of 3 pasta rollers which I have used several times.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful! Thank you for all the comments! I feel more reassured with my decision - separate KA mixer and food processor! Boy, Mr. Kama is going to love the new domesticated me :razz:

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 9:28:45 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
My sister has my GRANDMOTHER'S KA mixer! I think my mom got her KA as a wedding present and she has been married almost 37 years. I love mine (3 years old) so I think KA is the way to go. They last forever.
That just blew my mind away! I wonder if they're as durable these days...probably not. I still use my mum's Braun hair dryer when I travel (it works on 220v)...and I thought THAT was old!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 5:36:00 PM
Date: 4/5/2009 9:28:45 PM

Author: Tacori E-ring

My sister has my GRANDMOTHER''S KA mixer! I think my mom got her KA as a wedding present and she has been married almost 37 years. I love mine (3 years old) so I think KA is the way to go. They last forever.

That just blew my mind away! I wonder if they''re as durable these days...probably not. I still use my mum''s Braun hair dryer when I travel (it works on 220v)...and I thought THAT was old!

Okay, I just talked to my mom and she said her and my GM got theirs at the same time. However it has been 25+ years (she thinks). Neither have ever had a problem. Though I do agree that things are made cheaper now. What color do you want?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got our Kitchen Aid as a wedding present 9 yrs ago and it is still going strong. My sister and mom have had theirs for years too.

What color are you going to get? hehe
31.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
KA mixer going strong after 26 years. Consider a mixer and food processor as 2 different machines. Get the best of each.

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
I would buy the food processor separate especially if you have the space to store both items comfortably.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, yep...definitely getting the mixer and processor separately! Thanks for chiming in!

Tacori and Skippy, I''m getting it in stainless steel. I''m a sucker for anything stainless steel
18.gif
My second choice was red! What colours do you have?

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 9:36:13 PM
Yep, yep...definitely getting the mixer and processor separately! Thanks for chiming in!

Tacori and Skippy, I''m getting it in stainless steel. I''m a sucker for anything stainless steel
18.gif
My second choice was red! What colours do you have?

I love love love the stainless steel! That''s the one I want.

Also, I just bought the KA food processor (the small one, 3-cup capacity) and it is incredible.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the behemoth Pro 600 on order!!! Yeehaw!!
9.gif

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Get a separate food processor (FP). If you do a lot of cooking, I thinks great to get a larger capacity FP. I have an 9 c capacity and it''s great for me. If yo don''t want to spend the money, get a Cuisanart mini prep. They''re a small sized FP, probably 3 c, but they''re really handy to have around. Chopping herbs etc is a breeze. And it has a nifty "reverse" for the blade that my KA FP doesn''t have.

And a KAM (Kitchen Aid Mixer) can easily last a long time. They''re really well built. Unless you don''t take care of them. My dad doesn''t lock the head down before he turns on the mixer so now the pin that the head pivots on tends to want to pop out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results