shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitchen grease

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you do with your used kitchen grease/fat/oil?

It can clog your drain, stink up your trash and attract vermin and insects.

Do you deep fat fry at home?
Do you cook with the same grease/fat/oil more than once?
If so, how many times?
Between uses is it stored in the refrigerator?
How do you know it is time to discard it?

Do you keep a container to store discarded grease in your kitchen?
Is it refrigerated or frozen till discarded?

Lastly, does it eventually end up in your trash?

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I keep an empty tin can on the stove and pour the grease in it. Then I just throw it out with the trash. I know my grandmother keeps hers in a special grease can with a strainer. I''m pretty sure she reuses it. But I don''t know how many times.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I almost never cook anything greasy, and NEVER deep-fry stuff. When I make chicken stock, I refrigerate it until the fat layer solidifies, then scrape it off into the trash if it''s full or a smaller bag if it''s not, and throw it away. We live in a large building with a trash chute, so I don''t really have to worry about vermin or anything like that. I honestly can''t think of anything else I make that produces a significant amount of grease/fat.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I try to cook with as little oil as possible.
On the rare occasion I do cook bacon, I drain the grease onto crumpled newspaper in the garbage.

We only eat deep fried foods at restaurants.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes fry
Reuse only for the same kinds of food.
Use a oil strainer/dispenser to filter and store it in the fridge.
Poor it into 2liter bottles then the trash to dispose of it.
Discard based on smell.
With vegetable oil it is usually 3 times or one month unless you scorch it then it must be thrown out.

For day to day grease like bacon and sausage I save some of it and the rest goes into tin cans in the fridge then in the garbage when full.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a deep fryer, but I''m interested to know if anyone has used an actifry / rotary fryer successfully?

I try to trim as much fat off meat as possible before I cook it and let what''s left gets drained into a bowl and left to solidify, then thrown out.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
we never cook in ways that result in kitchen grease. My parents and grandmother keep it in a special mug in the fridge and re-use it but I don''t know the details :)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I don't fry, so I don't have any grease.

My mother used to keep bacon fat, in the refrigerator, for a few months. Whenever she made bacon, the drippings would go into a small crock. When you want to dispose of it, simply throw in your trash. It's a solid at room temp.

An ex BF's mother kept a coffee can, unrefrigerated, of any and all meat grease. And probably reused it for years. (Grossed me out.
14.gif
)
But then, she died of heart disease long before she was old. All that frying takes its toll.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know of a woman who lives where it snows in the winter.
She loves to feed the birds and critters so she mixes the seeds and scraps she gives them with her kitchen grease.

I imagine this fuel must be greatly appreciated by animals trying to keep warm.
I thought this was a great idea, and was like recycling.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Feeding suet (solid fat) to animals is fine as long as the temperature stays cold enough to inhibit decay. (below freezing = ok, warm spring freeze-thaw = not good)

Rancid suet can make birds and critters very sick.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results